PDA

View Full Version : Total Noob looking for Mentors...

VictorFiction
August 21st, 2016, 21:53
Hey guys, I'm new, basically a baby new, but i own a player handbook, have the FG app downloaded with a free trial and im ready to play.

Is it too late for me to get into AL this season? I keep reading a bunch about season 5... I live in SoCal... any groups willing to play with a scrub and take me under their wing...? I really would like to get into D&D and I'm super comitted...

edogan
August 21st, 2016, 23:03
I am currently running the tier 1 games for the Curse of Stradh season. Keep an eye out for some of my games on Adventurers Leagues Online.
Edgar Dogan
https://www.alonlinetools.net/LFRGamesBrw.aspx?Playtest=False&DM=False

VictorFiction
August 21st, 2016, 23:17
I am currently running the tier 1 games for the Curse of Stradh season. Keep an eye out for some of my games on Adventurers Leagues Online.
Edgar Dogan
https://www.alonlinetools.net/LFRGamesBrw.aspx?Playtest=False&DM=False

Thanks! I'll definitely keep a look out. Super excited to play this game :)

edogan
August 21st, 2016, 23:19
We all start off new. Sometimes those who have been playing for awhile tend to forget that or we get caught up in our own games. I have been trying to help new players and I enjoy DMing too so its a win/win for me.

VictorFiction
August 21st, 2016, 23:24
It's extremely appreciated! I just signed up as an alternate for next sat so crossing fingers someone drops out :)

edogan
August 21st, 2016, 23:26
I'll go ahead and run 6 so that you can play. Do you know how to create a character in Fantasy Grounds?

Sildanis Kimetry
August 21st, 2016, 23:38
Is this game starting today? I am new and haven't played on FG yet. Would love to try.

edogan
August 21st, 2016, 23:40
Im on FG right now and can help you create a character. If you have Teamspeak use the login information for the adventure on Sat. I'll link up with you and walk you through it.

damned
August 22nd, 2016, 00:16
Welcome VictorFiction - make sure you apply directly to any games that suit your availability. Do consider games that may not match your absolute game preference because you will 1. meet other gamers and GMs and this will help find more games in the future and 2. you might find that the other system is just as much fun and open you up to a whole world of other games and systems. Do check the forums regularly - if you wait for someone to get back to you it will take much longer than if you approach the GMs that advertise games. Have fun.

dulux-oz
August 22nd, 2016, 01:47
Hi Vic, and Welcome! to the Community,

To help you out as you're a self-confessed Newbie, if you haven't done so already let me encourage you to take a look at some of the great Tutorial Videos available on the Fantasy Grounds Wiki (and on YouTube). Damn's are good, as are Xorn's, and people seem to like mine as well (mine are also available from the links in my sig, below).

Start with the ones on the CoreRPG, because the CoreRPG forms the foundation of just about all the RPGs we play with Fantasy Grounds - so by learning how to use FG with the CoreRPG you'll learn about 80% of what you'll need to know to play any RPG with Fantasy Grounds. Once you've gone through the CoreRPG Videos you can then go on to Videos about your chosen RPG.

When you get familiar with the basic Fantasy Grounds product the next step is to check out some of the Extensions (Plug-Ins) for FG, such as the DOE Sound, Locations, Weather and Organisations Extensions (to name a but a few).

And keep on asking questions - we're a pretty friendly lot here, and we love answering questions.

Cheers

VictorFiction
August 22nd, 2016, 01:59
Thanks guys, Edgar just walked me through everything! Finally caught up and watching a twitch. Can't wait to play!!!

Brynnan
August 22nd, 2016, 05:05
And the new Adventurers League Season 5 starts on Friday. Storm Kings Thunder.

Let me know if there is anyway I can help or answer any questions.

VictorFiction
August 22nd, 2016, 15:51
Wow, community is awesome. So many people offering to help. Cannot wait to play with all you guys!

dulux-oz
August 22nd, 2016, 16:13
Cannot wait to play with all you guys!

Game!

Game with you guys!

We don't know you well enough for you to "play" with us. :p

(Oh Dulux, you are SO naughty!)

VictorFiction
August 22nd, 2016, 16:23
Por que no los dos?

iiiTRiBEiii
August 23rd, 2016, 02:09
Hi VictorFiction,

I got a great response from the community as well. One member, Kelendor, gave us nearly 4 hours on hangouts to go through the basics. Wish I recorded it. Mind if I dump some vid links?

From dulux-oz (was refered to by Kelendor)
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC-pNvUFwsrAHTtuQna02FEA

From Jason Hibdon
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=80a8xuONrj0&list=PLePiBJtKmjLn5IzhpakEcVqAHoYfezZbe

General youtube searching helped me a ton.

Good luck getting yer game on!
Happy rolling

VictorFiction
August 23rd, 2016, 02:13
That's great! Thanks for sharing :) Edgar really helped me a ton. Even talked me through how combat works! Now I'm rolling a bunch of characters to see which I like most. I'll be signing up tonight for something later this week :)

Brynnan
August 24th, 2016, 06:39
I highly recommend the Jason Hibdon videos he linked above. That's how I learned. And just get in there and play. When you are in a game, let them know you are new. All of DMs and players will go out of your way to show you the inner workings of Fantasy Grounds.

AFter Friday, things should really start hopping. Look for new games for A Great Upheaval and the hardcover, Storm King's Thunder, and the first series module, Treasure of the Broken Hoard will be out September 6th.