PDA

View Full Version : The Action Tab and the Rage ability

kevdog45
August 20th, 2016, 04:44
Two things

Although I am building an adventure using Fantasy Grounds campaign builder I am relatively new to Fantasy Grounds and have never played a game using the system yet. It is my assumption from looking at the functionality that 99% of the game from the players end is played from the action tab. If that is the case then any ability from the abilities tab that might affect actions should be placed on that tab. Is this assumption basically correct?

I ask because when I finally get around to setting up a game its going to be the first thing I ask players to do during character creation. An example would be the dragonborn breath weapon. When a dragonborn character is created that ability is not automatically placed on the action tab. You would also have to add the dragon color effects to that ability once placed. It just seems that it would make play go much smoother.

I've also noticed that when I do this to the rage ability and apply it to Kraan of the Zahr, a barbarian from the twisted north, it simply applies an effect that makes Kraan fall unconscious. Being unconscious makes him far less menacing. :) I found the code to make the ability online and added it but that would lead me to believe that some of the abilities are not coded in the same way that, for example, sneak attack for rogues are?

damned
August 20th, 2016, 06:06
I reckon the Action Tab accounts for between 20 and 40%... Lots can happen here but so much still happens elsewhere and much cannot be automated enough to place into the Actions Tab.

Trenloe
August 20th, 2016, 10:12
If the players are in a lot of combats then, yes, they'll be in the actions tab quite a lot.

If you're referring to D&D 5E see the "Complete Package Series" at the bottom of the first post here: https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?27296-Guides-videos-and-other-helpful-information This has a number of 5E classes created to 20th level with a lot of abilities coded into the actions tab, use these as examples.

Gwydion
August 20th, 2016, 13:28
Yes, those complete package builds have been a huge help to me. It really does a great job with most all actions which can be automated.

kylania
August 20th, 2016, 17:17
Yes, those complete package builds have been a huge help to me. It really does a great job with most all actions which can be automated.

In case anyone didn't notice, you can drag the effects from those lvl 20s onto your own character sheet without having to retype it all. :)

eulersarmy
August 20th, 2016, 18:10
I imagine it is an obvious no (as someone would have done it), but I take it is not possible to make these effects a library module that can be dragged and dropped? It needs to be from the character sheets?

Zacchaeus
August 20th, 2016, 19:22
No, the effects haven't as far as I know been made into a library, since effects are not normally exported. However Trenloe created this extension (https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?26044-Campaign-Effects-Export-Extension-(CoreRPG-based-rulesets)) which allows effects to be exported. It might be possible to build them in the effects dialog and export. But it would be a trifle messy and you wouldn't be able to set everything up I don't think.