PDA

View Full Version : Find Familiar, Pets and other Companions

Zilimar
August 19th, 2016, 16:52
Hi, new to FG

How does one go about adding pets and familiars to a character such as using the Pact of Chain ability tied to the Warlock class?

Thanks in advance for any help / advice.

Z.

Nylanfs
August 19th, 2016, 17:00
Make a PC / NPC assign to the player

Zacchaeus
August 19th, 2016, 17:30
Indeed, as Nylanfs says. Since the familiar is a very simply little chap I would go with the NPC sheet. You can find all of the possible familiars in the Monster Manual, and maybe also in the SRD. You could give it a unique name and then just drag the NPC sheet and drop it onto the player's portrait in the top left of the screen. The player will now be able to use he familiar's attacks and damage just like you can if you were the DM. Don't forget to put the beastie on the combat tracker so that it can target properly and use said attacks and damage rolls correctly.

If you go the PC route then just fill in a character sheet but give it the attributes and traits of the familiar. and don't bother with any bits of the PC sheet that can't be filled in becasue this isn't a PC. Then the player just takes charge of the character just as if it were a normal one.

Zilimar
August 19th, 2016, 17:37
Got it, thanks for the responses.

Myrdin Potter
August 23rd, 2016, 06:05
Indeed, as Nylanfs says. Since the familiar is a very simply little chap I would go with the NPC sheet. You can find all of the possible familiars in the Monster Manual, and maybe also in the SRD. You could give it a unique name and then just drag the NPC sheet and drop it onto the player's portrait in the top left of the screen. The player will now be able to use he familiar's attacks and damage just like you can if you were the DM. Don't forget to put the beastie on the combat tracker so that it can target properly and use said attacks and damage rolls correctly.

If you go the PC route then just fill in a character sheet but give it the attributes and traits of the familiar. and don't bother with any bits of the PC sheet that can't be filled in becasue this isn't a PC. Then the player just takes charge of the character just as if it were a normal one.

I cannot make the animal usable by my Ranger player, so I must be doing something wrong. The animal companion is an Ocelot and we just use the Panther stats. What exactly do I need to do so she can target and attack using the NPC Ocelot? Drag the NPC from where onto her portrait? Drag from where onto the CT? She will get a mini character sheet that she can attack from and target from when it is active on the CT?

damned
August 23rd, 2016, 07:53
Drag Familiar into NPCs. Drag from NPCs to Combat Tracker. Change to Friendly. Make visible. Drag from (RHS drag icon) CT onto Char Portrait.
Suggestion for player - drag the drag icon onto a Hot Key....

Zacchaeus
August 23rd, 2016, 09:17
The NPC is treated like any other NPC by the DM. So as damned says drag the NPC from the NPC list (big NPC button down the right) onto the player portrait, Drag from the same place onto the Combat Tracker and make the NPC friendly. The Player will now have the NPC sheet available to them. To use attack, damage and other types of roll the player will have to use the actions in the NPC sheet (Not on the Combat Tracker - since only the DM can see NPC actions in the Combat Tracker.) So the player needs to mouse over the text to see what highlights and will then be able to double click or drag/drop that text to make attacks etc (See screenshot)

Trenloe
August 23rd, 2016, 15:13
Also a quick way for the player to open the NPC sheet (once the token, faction and sharing has occurred) is to double-click on the token on the map.

Brynnan
August 24th, 2016, 08:19
I use this all the time for a Bag of Tricks. And I can do almost anything, including figuring out how to target. But one thing I cannot figure out. Can I end my companions turn?

damned
August 24th, 2016, 08:52
I use this all the time for a Bag of Tricks. And I can do almost anything, including figuring out how to target. But one thing I cannot figure out. Can I end my companions turn?

I dont believe you can.