PDA

View Full Version : Auto-Rolling for a List of Items

Netjera
August 19th, 2016, 11:10
I'm not sure this is the right place, as it's not strictly a technical issue, but more likely user-error. However, here goes.

I have a list of treasure. Each item has a 10% chance of being a masterwork item and a 1% chance of being a +1 item. I wanted to create "nested" tables so that the system would roll the masterwork/magic item chance for each item, then spit the results into a parcel, allowing the outcome to be random every time the module is played.

I tried doing this:

I thought that if I set all the items to all the roll values, then it would spit out the list and use the link to roll the % masterwork/magic for each one. No such luck! Percentile roll works just fine, but for some reason, it always gives me the same item as the item generated, as in this results output:

Is there a way to do this without having to put each and every item in its own table?

Thanks a bunch!

damned
August 19th, 2016, 12:55
I cant see your images yet (still pending approval) but you do something like this:

table1
1-3, Sword, table2
4, Axe, table2
5, Bow, table2
6, Dagger, table2

table2
1-89, Standard
90-99, Masterwork
100, +1 Magic

But this will not put them into Parcels.
To do this as a Parcel you would need every option in the one table... (afaik)

Trenloe
August 19th, 2016, 14:17
Percentile roll works just fine, but for some reason, it always gives me the same item as the item generated, as in this results output:

The number ranges are screwed on your A87 table - they all say 1-4. Edit the A87 table to have the correct sequential number ranges for all of the items.

Netjera
August 20th, 2016, 08:57
The number ranges are screwed on your A87 table - they all say 1-4. Edit the A87 table to have the correct sequential number ranges for all of the items.

I don't want to do that. If I do that, it will generate only ONE item, and then check to see if it's magical. I was trying to get it to output all of the items into a parcel, at the same time as checking to see if any of them are masterwork and/or magical.

Btw, Trenloe, thanks for hand-holding me through all this stuff! :D

Netjera
August 20th, 2016, 08:58
I cant see your images yet (still pending approval) but you do something like this:

table1
1-3, Sword, table2
4, Axe, table2
5, Bow, table2
6, Dagger, table2

table2
1-89, Standard
90-99, Masterwork
100, +1 Magic

But this will not put them into Parcels.
To do this as a Parcel you would need every option in the one table... (afaik)

Hi! Yeah, I figured I could do it that way, but I was hoping I wouldn't have to. Having 20 tiny tables is not as efficient as having one, and what happens later if I want to do this with a table of 50 or 100 items? And your thought about the Parcel is what I figured, too. All of the items are in one parcel, but the chance for them to be magical or masterwork is rolled every time, so that the items found are a little different from play-to-play.

Thanks for trying to help!

Zacchaeus
August 20th, 2016, 10:29
I may be misunderstanding what you are trying to do here but you will need 4 tables if you want this to be output to a parcel. One table will be a list of Ordinary items, one for masterwork and one for +1. Your 4th table will be the one which you roll on with the 1-89 calling the ordinary table, the 90-99 calling the masterwork and the 100 calling the +1 table. This table's output can be sent to Parcel. The tables that you call can have any number of items - don't put dice or anything in them. The tables will roll a dice according to whatever the number of items on the list is. You can also 'weigh' these tables by giving a range for the item in question. So Leather armour might get rolled on a 1-5 whereas chain might only appear on a 6. Furthermore you can keep adding to these tables quite easily. And finally you can create different master tables with different percentages for Ordinary, masterwork and +1, calling the same three tables.

Andraax
August 20th, 2016, 16:11
If you create actual items and put them into the table, you will get actual, dragable inventory items in the parcel. For example, create a +1 Chain Mail item (with all the features you want), then drag that item to that entry on the table. When it creates the parcel, it will put that item there, and you can then drag it to the character and have everything setup automatically.

Netjera
August 21st, 2016, 06:47
I may be misunderstanding what you are trying to do here but you will need 4 tables if you want this to be output to a parcel. One table will be a list of Ordinary items, one for masterwork and one for +1. Your 4th table will be the one which you roll on with the 1-89 calling the ordinary table, the 90-99 calling the masterwork and the 100 calling the +1 table. This table's output can be sent to Parcel. The tables that you call can have any number of items - don't put dice or anything in them. The tables will roll a dice according to whatever the number of items on the list is. You can also 'weigh' these tables by giving a range for the item in question. So Leather armour might get rolled on a 1-5 whereas chain might only appear on a 6. Furthermore you can keep adding to these tables quite easily. And finally you can create different master tables with different percentages for Ordinary, masterwork and +1, calling the same three tables.

Okay, so let me see if I understand: Make three tables and put all the items on EACH table. One table is normal, one is Masterwork and one is +1. Then set up a % roll for the fourth table which calls each table as necessary? I may have to do that, although that's not really what I'm trying to do. If I understand correctly, that's going to roll to see if they find a magic, masterwork or custom item, and then either roll randomly on the corresponding table, or give out ALL of the items on the corresponding table. Which isn't what I need.

What I want to do is take a list of items and roll for each item to see if it's normal, masterwork, or magical. All of the items are available, but each one is only available once. So, for example, the list contains Duerger Armor, Dueger Weapon, Duerger Bow, Drow Armor, Drow Weapon, Drow Bow. All six of these are given to the players, if they choose to take them; and each has a small chance of being "special". So, Duerger Chainmail: roll %. 01 = +1, 02-25 = masterwork, 26-100 = normal. Duerger Bow, same. And so on.

Netjera
August 21st, 2016, 06:48
If you create actual items and put them into the table, you will get actual, dragable inventory items in the parcel. For example, create a +1 Chain Mail item (with all the features you want), then drag that item to that entry on the table. When it creates the parcel, it will put that item there, and you can then drag it to the character and have everything setup automatically.

Thanks, I already know that. :) Right now, I'm trying to get the tables to automatically roll to see if the items included in the parcel are masterwork, magical or normal. Individually. Once I figure that out, I'll worry about linking things up.

damned
August 21st, 2016, 07:10
1. I dont think you can have the table autoroll and put more than one item in a parcel.
2. I think you will need to hand out the parcel and have them roll 6 times on the Item Type table and adjust manually.

You might be able to do something like this:

[Duegar Armour]
1-89 Duegar Armour [roll on Duegar Weapon]
90-99 Duegar Armour Masterwork [roll on Duegar Weapon]
100 Duegar Armour +1 [roll on Duegar Weapon]

[Duegar Weapon]
1-89 Duegar Weapon [roll on Duegar Bow]
90-99 Duegar Weapon Masterwork [roll on Duegar Bow]
100 Duegar Weapon +1 [roll on Duegar Bow]

[Duegar Bow]
1-89 Duegar Bow [roll on Drow Armour]
90-99 Duegar Bow Masterwork [roll on Drow Armour]
100 Duegar Bow +1 [roll on Drow Armour]

[Drow Armour]
1-89 Drow Armour [roll on Drow Weapon]
90-99 Drow Armour Masterwork [roll on Drow Weapon]
100 Drow Armour +1 [roll on Drow Weapon]

[Drow Weapon]
1-89 Drow Weapon [roll on Drow Bow]
90-99 Drow Weapon Masterwork [roll on Drow Bow]
100 Drow Weapon +1 [roll on Drow Bow]

[Drow Bow]
1-89 Drow Bow
90-99 Drow Bow Masterwork
100 Drow Bow +1

Zacchaeus
August 21st, 2016, 11:29
Yes, as damned says you aren't going to be able to roll on a list of items just once for each item. In order to achieve what you want you'll need a separate table for each item with just the three lines with the chance for each particular type to appear. So it will be:
Deurgar Armour
1-75 Ordinary Armour
76-99 Masterwork Armour
100-100 +1 Armour
And that means that you'll have to create a single specimen for every possible combination.
It sounds like, to achieve what you want, it would be easier just to determine the contents of the parcel when you create it rather than do it randomly.

PS; in my example above you roll on the first table (Item) and it will roll percentile dice and depending on the result will roll once on one of the other three tables and return the result. You could if you wanted to have another table which has a single line such as [1d6x][Item] or [6x][Item] which would roll either a d6 or a 6 on the Item table and produce a parcel with either 6 or a random number between 1 and 6 items in he parcel.

damned
August 21st, 2016, 12:11
I tested my tables and they work but they wont work in conjunction with actual real items being in the tables. It appears you cant have two links - so you cant link to the next table and to the Item.
Your best bet for usable, practical tables is a separate table for each and link to actual equipment and have the player (or you) roll 6x - or have pre built packs as per suggestions above.