PDA

View Full Version : Image Text Label Extension

Trenloe
August 19th, 2016, 05:00
Not for use with FGU / Fantasy Grounds Unity

Now compatible with Fantasy Grounds v3.3.0. Note: The toolbar will become available when the image is unlocked.

You no longer need the text label module - the required token is included in the CoreRPG ruleset.

For campaigns using CoreRPG based rulesets (3.5E, Pathfinder, 4E, 5E, Castles and Crusades, Call of Cthulhu, etc.). Current issue using Savage Worlds - being investigated.

Over a year ago Ikael posted his idea regarding dead markers for Savage Worlds (which is now in the Savage Worlds ruleset), original idea here: https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?23629-Dead-Markers-feature-idea. In post #4 I mentioned that I had lots of idea regarding how I could use the very clever idea he had (adding widgets to a very small transparent token), but I've never got round to realising some of those ideas. Ikael has very kindly allowed me to take his idea and some of his code and mess around. My first idea and extension around this is an Image Label extension, here's an example screenshot (reference number only visible in the label while in edit mode):

https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=15116

Here's a GM and Player's view side-by-side:

https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=15061

This extension allows the GM to add labels (both public and GM only) to any image/map they have within a campaign. These labels are purely within the campaign in question, they aren't added to the base map.

Here's a video of how to use it, updated for v1.1. Apologies for the rather amateur presentation. If the video size in your browser is quite small, click the download link and play it local - it's 25MB in size.

Video link:
https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B_prlPzCPslLRXVpeXJ1XzZ2bWs

Versions
v1.2 - Fantasy Grounds v3.3.0 compatibility.
v1.1 - Bugfix and functionality release. Added ability to edit already placed label, plus font resizing. Under-the-hood efficiency improvements. Updated video - link above.
v1.0b - Minor bugfix - fixes error seen in the original release video. :)
v1.0a - First release. Base functionality.

Installation

Download the attached extension file "Image Text Labels.ext" and save it to your <FG App Data>\extensions directory.
Start up Fantasy Grounds and select campaign for a ruleset that is built on CoreRPG. Select the "Image Text Labels" extension and start your campaign.
Have a look at the video above on how to use the extension.

Do not use this with the Enhanced Images (layers) or the Player Image Auto Size extensions.

Please read the following two posts for gotchas, issues and development plans.

If you have any feedback, comments, questions, etc. please post in this thread. Constructive criticism is welcome, just please keep in mind that this is the first release and I plan to add more functionality pretty quickly - so let me know what works, what doesn't, what features you'd like to see (keep it reasonable and realistic please) and we'll see where this goes...

If you have any ideas about the code please pass your feedback direct to me, please don't create your own version of this extension - we don't want confusion and multiple extension versions all over the place! Thanks!

(v1.1 downloads = 410).

Trenloe
Gotchas:

Cannot be used with other extensions that modify the image control - this includes the Enhanced Images Extension (layers). Compatible update to come...
Enabling "Cross-platform compatibility mode for Linux and Mac" causes token transparency selection issues which make the label anchors act like normal tokens - giving stacking issues, etc..

Limitations:

Mask doesn't cover player visible labels.

Known Issues:

Doesn't play nicely with Savage Worlds ruleset. Being investigated.
If GM is editing an image that the player hasn't opened yet the player will see "unknown OOB" messages in the chat window. Quick workaround - briefly share the image with the players (so that it opens) and then unshare it (click the (P) icon in the image list). You might want to mask the image before doing this, just so the players don't see much... This brief share will stop this error (for this session).

Fixed Issues:

When adding a label when in edit mode the label text did not include the reference ID resulting in the console raising errors when leaving edit mode, and the base widget remained on the screen when entering edit mode. As seen on the video! Fixed in v1.0b.
v1.0b introduced an issue where hidden labels aren't hidden. Fixed in v1.1.
Don't use "Delete All Tokens" on the map. This will remove the underlying token anchor used by the labels, but not the label references. This screws the whole extension up. Fixed in v1.1.
On very large maps with token scales locked (either manually by the GM or using token auto scaling to grid) the label can appear very small. Token scaling to be investigated. First fix in v1.1.
Can't move tokens directly, have to delete and re-add. Functionality added to v1.1.
The GM has to have the image open when the players open their image, otherwise FG can't build the labels (the players side relies on the GM instance accessing the database and image information and passing it back to the player instance). Fixed in v1.1.

Future Development:

Different colour, size and font labels.
Player addition of labels (maybe).
Compatibility with Enhanced Images extension (layers).
Compatibility with Savage Worlds ruleset.
Export labels to module.
Related to module export. Investigate the possibility of making labels based on different module images persist when exported (store token details in extension module database and recreate tokens in new campaign).
Larger combo box (label list) to ease deletion.
Tidy up code, add comments. Move most code from campaign_images.xml to images.lua.
Make more space in the image toolbar (dynamically add another toolbar row for the label controls). Makes editing labels on smaller images easier and also allows the label edit list to be larger and easier to use.

Feature Requests:

Trenloe
Placeholder.

Maspalio
August 19th, 2016, 06:10
Absolutely awesome. It should be put as a base in every Ruleset.

damned
August 19th, 2016, 06:13
Bravo!
https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=15062&d=1471583630

viresanimi
August 19th, 2016, 08:12
Couldn't have said it better my self Damned. I used to use tokens with a text label on them, but this is so much better. Another great thing from Trenloe!

Vires Animi

Zacchaeus
August 19th, 2016, 09:18
Nice work again, Sir!

Targas
August 19th, 2016, 10:36
Very useful. Insted using paint software to add text after a session it can be tagged now during the session. Great work!

Callum
August 19th, 2016, 10:48
This is great, Trenloe - thanks again! I hope you manage to find away of enabling the export of labels with images into a module, as that will really enhance the usefulness of this excellent extension. On a related note - if you add labels to an image from a module that you have open in another campaign, will those labels persist?

As an aside, it's strange to hear your voice after all this time. After reading so many of your forum posts over the years, I'd created a "voice" for you in my head - which, unsurprisingly, doesn't match your real voice!

Blackfoot
August 19th, 2016, 12:03
You might want to add some sort of control for 'scale'.
When using this extension on large maps with a small grid the labels end up being very small. I'll add an image to reflect what I'm talking about...

Blackfoot
August 19th, 2016, 12:06
Also.. 'delete all tokens' causes these labels to be removed.. and then you start getting this error:
Script Error: [string "campaign/scripts/image.lua"]:42: attempt to index local 'v' (a userdata value)

Blackfoot
August 19th, 2016, 12:11
Hrm. After that error occurs.. no tokens on the map are accessible. .. Even after the extension is turned off.

EDIT: I was able to fix the problem by editing the db and removing the entire tokens tag from that particular map.

Trenloe
August 19th, 2016, 13:53
You might want to add some sort of control for 'scale'.
When using this extension on large maps with a small grid the labels end up being very small.
Thanks, I'll look into some form of scale.

Also.. 'delete all tokens' causes these labels to be removed.. and then you start getting this error:
Script Error: [string "campaign/scripts/image.lua"]:42: attempt to index local 'v' (a userdata value)
Thanks for reporting, I'll add a Token.onDelete handler to cover this. In the meantime, don't use delete all tokens on a map with labels.

Trenloe
August 19th, 2016, 14:08
This is great, Trenloe - thanks again! I hope you manage to find away of enabling the export of labels with images into a module, as that will really enhance the usefulness of this excellent extension.
Thank man. :)

Exporting should be fairly straightforward, I designed the labels as a new root entry in the campaign database so they can easily be exported into a module. It's more the testing for all eventualities that will take the time.

On a related note - if you add labels to an image from a module that you have open in another campaign, will those labels persist?
Labels are campaign specific as far as module images are concerned. The labels rely on an underlying teeny-tiny token and FG puts token placement within the image record. Base module records aren't editable so this cannot be put directly into the module, but FG allows for pseudo module editing within a campaign by recording "edits" to the module in a moduledb record file which essentially replaces the module image record just for that campaign. In theory you could manually move the moduledb file from one campaign to another...

When I'm looking at export code I'll see if there is a way to do this (such as record the token info in the extension database section to allow token re-creation on module images in another campaign).

As an aside, it's strange to hear your voice after all this time. After reading so many of your forum posts over the years, I'd created a "voice" for you in my head - which, unsurprisingly, doesn't match your real voice!
Yeah, it's weird. Zacchaeus made me laugh when he first heard my voice, he always assumed I was American and refused to believe it was me when he heard an English accent. :D

Gwydion
August 19th, 2016, 15:26
Very cool! Might wait to use this as I do use the layers extension, but I love this idea! Thanks for all the work you do for the community +1!

Jwguy
August 19th, 2016, 20:56
Definitely a neat feature; I'll have to try it out when it becomes compatible with the Image Layers extension.

It looks really similar to the pin functionality already included in Fantasy Grounds, but it does seem more useful.

LordEntrails
August 19th, 2016, 20:58
One question, how do you see this working with or replacing the Enhanced Images Extension?

Very nice, only two suggestions:
1) Ability to have leader lines on the label (low priority)
2) I would say the Add icon shouldn't look like a red cross. I think that's too much like a health/HP indicator. Maybe something like this (note, this is from Google, I did not create it);

Trenloe
August 19th, 2016, 21:51
One question, how do you see this working with or replacing the Enhanced Images Extension?
I don't see it replacing the enhanced images extension at all. They provide different functionality. At present make your choice what you want more - layers or labels. In future (time TBC) I will be providing a combined extension that have the functionality of both.

1) Ability to have leader lines on the label (low priority)
I don't know what that means - could you expand on that please?

2) I would say the Add icon shouldn't look like a red cross. I think that's too much like a health/HP indicator. Maybe something like this (note, this is from Google, I did not create it);
Thanks for the suggestion. Yeah, the red + was just a very quick holder, so not ideal. Graphics will be the last thing I look at, as I already see many more buttons being added to this extension so will leave graphic design until I know the full extent of what is needed.

LordEntrails
August 19th, 2016, 22:04
I don't know what that means - could you expand on that please?

Leader lines, these are lines that connect from the label to something on the image. They might end in arrows or dots or nothing. Here's a quick something I created in PowerPoint.

Trenloe
August 19th, 2016, 22:50
Leader lines, these are lines that connect from the label to something on the image. They might end in arrows or dots or nothing. Here's a quick something I created in PowerPoint.
Thanks for clarifying. Leader lines might be implemented if they can be done reasonably via frames - but they will be static and you won't get to draw/position the line separately from the label. To do this I'd be looking for someone to implement the frame (graphic and FG frame definition).

LordEntrails
August 20th, 2016, 00:18
Leader lines might be tough to do. Though maybe utilizing the existing pointers somehow? But anyway, low priority on that. Your other ideas/enhancements are much more important.

Awesome work on this. Thanks for one more outstanding contribution to the community.

Rilmarion
August 21st, 2016, 01:03
The hidden/secrecy button isn't working for me. When the eye is a darker color, I put down a label called "Shady Inn". Then I press the eye symbol again to grey it out and place a label "Hidden?". It doesn't show up as red and when I have a second client which is connected as a player they can see both labels.

Trenloe
August 21st, 2016, 01:14
The hidden/secrecy button isn't working for me. When the eye is a darker color, I put down a label called "Shady Inn". Then I press the eye symbol again to grey it out and place a label "Hidden?". It doesn't show up as red and when I have a second client which is connected as a player they can see both labels.

Which ruleset are you using this with? Could you provide a screenshot showing the issue?

Rilmarion
August 21st, 2016, 01:31
https://imgur.com/a/4sGJj

The image there is split into four sections showing from top down:

1) Typing in "Dark Eye" with eye button pressed (darker eye).
2) Placing the Label
3) Typing in "Light Eye" with button not pressed (light color).
4) Placing the Label, not showing up as red.

I am using the 5E ruleset.

Rilmarion
August 21st, 2016, 01:39
List of extension if it matters:

5E - Language Font (FR) - wizards (not enabled)
5E - Language Fonts - Wizards (not enabled)
5E Quick referance decals
5E Theme - Wizards (not enabled)
D&D Monster Manual Desktop Decal
D&D Player's Handbook Desktop Decal
DOE Base Extensions
DOE Locations
DOE Organisations
DOE Weather
Drop Lowest
Enahnced Images (CoreRPG+) (Not enabled as this seemed to block your extension use completly)
Fantasy Language Chat
FGRandom
GM PC Ownership
Image Text Lables
Theme - Dungeon alternative 50
Theme - Wood Alternate 50 (Not enabled)

Trenloe
August 21st, 2016, 04:17
Can you try it in a brand new 5E campaign with only the label extension enabled?

Rilmarion
August 21st, 2016, 05:55
Okay, created a new campaign, with nothing loaded but your extension and token module loaded. I then opened the Legacy of the Crystal Shard campaign module from the FG store, opened a map from there and same results, no red text. I then created another new campaign and didn't load LotCS and just went to google, googled a fighter from the fight that I had just finished watching and uploaded that and tried, same results: https://imgur.com/a/7gJOx

Trenloe
August 21st, 2016, 07:12
Okay, created a new campaign, with nothing loaded but your extension and token module loaded. I then opened the Legacy of the Crystal Shard campaign module from the FG store, opened a map from there and same results, no red text. I then created another new campaign and didn't load LotCS and just went to google, googled a fighter from the fight that I had just finished watching and uploaded that and tried, same results: https://imgur.com/a/7gJOx
Thanks for working with me on this. I can recreate the issue and I can see the reason in the extension. I'll provide an update soon...

Rilmarion
August 21st, 2016, 07:28
Thanks, look forward to the update.

Trenloe
August 25th, 2016, 03:57
Updated extension v1.1 - bug fixes and functionality improvements (edit, rename and move labels; change font size).

damned
August 25th, 2016, 04:11
It is a shame that this clashes with the Layers Extension otherwise it seems a no brainer to add to CoreRPG.
I myself dont use the Extensions Layer but many do.
Thanks Trenloe - excellent work!

Trenloe
August 25th, 2016, 04:13
It is a shame that this clashes with the Layers Extension otherwise it seems a no brainer to add to CoreRPG.
I will merge the functionality together sometime soon... Once I think about whether I'm going to allow labels on all layers, or not... Probably not as there's really no need to have them on different layers as they aren't interactive from a player point of view.

damned
August 25th, 2016, 07:53
I will merge the functionality together sometime soon... Once I think about whether I'm going to allow labels on all layers, or not... Probably not as there's really no need to have them on different layers as they aren't interactive from a player point of view.

will that be one, two or three extensions then?
Layers
Labels
Layers+Labels
?

Trenloe
August 25th, 2016, 15:56
will that be one, two or three extensions then?
Layers
Labels
Layers+Labels
?
Three, probably. Depending on what I need to do to integrate them together...

Nickademus
August 25th, 2016, 22:38
I know this is jut nit-picking, but what is the chance of making the mask interactable from the top layer in the layers extension? (Or at least an option to keep the top-layer tokens visible so I don't have to guess where the PCs are when I'm unmasking an area?) It's really the only thing keeping me from using the extension and this would be a nice combo (labels + layers) for utility and organization.

Rilmarion
August 26th, 2016, 01:50
Thanks, updated and it works as intended now, thanks.

El Condoro
August 27th, 2016, 23:37
5E ruleset, no (other) extensions loaded. I am getting this error when I open a map:

Script Error: [string "campaign/scripts/imagewindow.lua"]:29: attempt to index global 'header' (a nil value)

The extension works fine, otherwise.

Trenloe
August 28th, 2016, 00:45
5E ruleset, no (other) extensions loaded. I am getting this error when I open a map:

Script Error: [string "campaign/scripts/imagewindow.lua"]:29: attempt to index global 'header' (a nil value)

The extension works fine, otherwise.
Hhhmmm, I don't see this error - and the v3.1.7 ruleset won't raise that type of error on line 29. Are you running in FG v3.2.0 test mode?

El Condoro
August 28th, 2016, 03:13
Yes I am. Sorry to leave out that important information.

Blackfoot
September 1st, 2016, 01:32
The guys hit this error when they logged in tonight although I didn't see anything on the GM side.

Runtime Error: image: Snapshot size (1286,1674) does not match base size (3191,4164)

EDIT: To give a little more detail.. I'm running 3.1.7 with the PF ruleset. I have a ton of extensions going so there could be some conflicts... but I'm not really running anything that messes with image controls too much...

Damned's 'Formation graphics' extension.. but I doubt that is involved with this issue.

Trenloe
September 1st, 2016, 06:54
A bit more info please. When, exactly, did this error occurred? On joining the game? On opening an image? When an image was shared? If it was when an image was opened or shared, did this image have labels on it?

I have no idea what would cause that error so would like some help in nailing it down. Perhaps ZIP up your campaign directory and email it to me?

Blackfoot
September 1st, 2016, 11:56
A bit more info please. When, exactly, did this error occurred? On joining the game? On opening an image? When an image was shared? If it was when an image was opened or shared, did this image have labels on it?

I have no idea what would cause that error so would like some help in nailing it down. Perhaps ZIP up your campaign directory and email it to me?Actually we honed it down to the moment that a PC selects their character. It happened for all 4 players as they logged in. There were multiple scaled labels on an image that had previously been shared but not yet opened by each PC... although the image WAS attached as a link to the MOTD... they had not yet gotten the opportunity to actually open it.

The campaign is kinda huge.. are you sure you want me to zip it? We did have one player (lachancery) who had to log in multiple times during the session, he didn't mention the error occurring each time but I can verify that.

Trenloe
September 1st, 2016, 17:01
Actually we honed it down to the moment that a PC selects their character. It happened for all 4 players as they logged in. There were multiple scaled labels on an image that had previously been shared but not yet opened by each PC... although the image WAS attached as a link to the MOTD... they had not yet gotten the opportunity to actually open it.

The campaign is kinda huge.. are you sure you want me to zip it? We did have one player (lachancery) who had to log in multiple times during the session, he didn't mention the error occurring each time but I can verify that.
I'm not sure how selecting a character, and not opening an image, is producing this error (if it's the label extension). So yes, please ZIP it up and put it on a cloud share somewhere so I can work out what is causing this.

Did everything work OK after the error? Or was there anything that was broken?

Smoltok
September 3rd, 2016, 21:10
Just to congratulate you for such an extension ! Little but very useful !

Trenloe
September 10th, 2016, 03:28
I know this is jut nit-picking, but what is the chance of making the mask interactable from the top layer in the layers extension?.
The mask can't be placed on the top layer as it has to be placed on an image control based off an actual image file.

(Or at least an option to keep the top-layer tokens visible so I don't have to guess where the PCs are when I'm unmasking an area?)
Hhhmmm, that got the old cogs moving a little...

It's really the only thing keeping me from using the extension ...
No excuse to not use it now: https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?20231-Enhanced-Images-(layers)-for-FG-3-0-CoreRPG-(and-rulesets-based-on-CoreRPG)&p=288715&viewfull=1#post288715

:D

I've not combined the layer and label extension (yet), as I have some ideas for a couple of other pieces of functionality before I combine them.

darrenan
September 30th, 2016, 23:32
Trying to use this extension for the first time and having scale issues. Extension and module v1.1 are loaded. Image is a 1000x1000 pixel JPG (no grid has been applied in this example, but I have tried it with a grid and get the same result). Screenshot 1 shows the image after typing in the desired text, but prior to left-clicking. Screenshot 2 shows what happens when I left click. Image 3 shows the smallest I'm able to make the label.

Verified this happens with only this extension loaded.

Trenloe
September 30th, 2016, 23:40
Trying to use this extension for the first time and having scale issues. Extension and module v1.1 are loaded. Image is a 1000x1000 pixel JPG (no grid has been applied in this example, but I have tried it with a grid and get the same result). Screenshot 1 shows the image after typing in the desired text, but prior to left-clicking. Screenshot 2 shows what happens when I left click. Image 3 shows the smallest I'm able to make the label.
This looks like there is some form of previous token sizing present on the map. Could you add a normal token to the map (if there isn't one already) and right-click on the new token (not a label) and select "release scale", if this isn't available select "lock scale" then "release scale".

If this doesn't help, please provide (attach) the db.xml from the campaign - I'm interested in the <image> and <imagetextwidget> sections.

darrenan
September 30th, 2016, 23:45
Release scale fixed it, thanks.

Callum
October 2nd, 2016, 17:52
Exporting should be fairly straightforward, I designed the labels as a new root entry in the campaign database so they can easily be exported into a module. It's more the testing for all eventualities that will take the time.
Hi, Trenloe! I was wondering if you'd got anywhere with investigating the possibility of exporting the labels? Like many other GMs here, I run my campaigns with a modularised approach, which means that I can't really use this extension without the export functionality. Of course, I know you're a busy man, but I was feeling hopeful... :)

UltimateGM
October 15th, 2016, 17:28
Ive installed extension and the module but when opening the library from within Fantasy Grounds the module isnt there. I double checked that the module was in the module folder as well. I also loaded the extension before loading the campaign just for clarification.

Trenloe
October 15th, 2016, 17:33
Ive installed extension and the module but when opening the library from within Fantasy Grounds the module isnt there. I double checked that the module was in the module folder as well. I also loaded the extension before loading the campaign just for clarification.
It's a token module, which is activated from the "Tokens" window, not the library. See 0:10 to 0:20 in the video in post#1.

UltimateGM
October 15th, 2016, 18:54
Your awesome thanks Trenloe!

So its really not a problem of if its loaded. For some reason I am guessing the text is blowing up so large that its making the map white, gray, and black.

Trenloe
October 15th, 2016, 19:06
Your awesome thanks Trenloe!

So its really not a problem of if its loaded. For some reason I am guessing the text is blowing up so large that its making the map white, gray, and black.

See post #47: https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?33696-Image-Text-Label-Extension&p=291965&viewfull=1#post291965

UltimateGM
October 15th, 2016, 22:37
Thanks I cannot believe I overlooked that post but I had to delete the map. I had tokens on it that I couldn't interact with and I couldnt find anything that pointed to fixing it. After deleting everything worked perfectly. It had to be the token issue thank you again!

gamemasterbob
October 22nd, 2016, 07:25
I can't get this to do anything. I installed based on the instruction here. I have the label edit on top. How do I use this? The video that was posted is not a good link.

Thanks.

damned
October 22nd, 2016, 07:38
I can't get this to do anything. I installed based on the instruction here. I have the label edit on top. How do I use this? The video that was posted is not a good link.

Thanks.

gamemasterbob did you read the rest of the thread? Maybe you are doing something someone else has done before? The video link and instructions are working for me. Where exactly do you get stuck?

Trenloe
October 22nd, 2016, 16:25
The video that was posted is not a good link.
You need to click on the link. You can't copy the text of the link as the forum software doesn't display the whole link.

Blackfoot
November 3rd, 2016, 01:22
This extension causes some issues in v3.2

Trenloe
November 3rd, 2016, 01:28
Yes, it will. It hasn't been updated to v3.2.

Thanks for mentioning.

As an FYI - I am slowly going through all of my extensions and checking/updating as necessary. If you don't see a green or red note on the main extension list entry then I haven't reviewed the extension in question and you should assume that it is not compatible until proven otherwise.

shemantis
November 8th, 2016, 14:33
Oh I hope this gets updated! I was *just* beginning to love and use it heavily, LOL. Thanks for such a wonderful extension.

Ikael
November 8th, 2016, 16:24
Trenloe, hopefully you have noticed that the invisible placeholder token is now included into CoreRPG ruleset so there is no more need to use the module if extension is updated to utilize it

Trenloe
November 8th, 2016, 16:32
Trenloe, hopefully you have noticed that the invisible placeholder token is now included into CoreRPG ruleset so there is no more need to use the module if extension is updated to utilize it
Yep, I had noticed that. But thanks for reminding me.

I'll get to updating this extension soon...

adonndel
November 12th, 2016, 15:12
Yes, it will. It hasn't been updated to v3.2.

Thanks for mentioning.

As an FYI - I am slowly going through all of my extensions and checking/updating as necessary. If you don't see a green or red note on the main extension list entry then I haven't reviewed the extension in question and you should assume that it is not compatible until proven otherwise.

What is this extension list that you mentioned? Is it just for yours or all?
I have been looking for a "extension list" that shows a summary of all the extensions and links for the latest version.

Trenloe
November 12th, 2016, 15:48
What is this extension list that you mentioned? Is it just for yours or all?
It's for all extensions.

Look in the "Game Systems (https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?56-Game-Systems)" sub-forum of the ruleset you're interested in, if there are any extensions available for that ruleset there should be a sticky thread at the top of the sub-forum. Note that the CoreRPG extensions can be used for most of the rulesets that are layered on top of CoreRPG: https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?20320-FG-3-0-CoreRPG-Extensions

adonndel
November 12th, 2016, 15:55
It's for all extensions.

Look in the "Game Systems (https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?56-Game-Systems)" sub-forum of the ruleset you're interested in, if there are any extensions available for that ruleset there should be a sticky thread at the top of the sub-forum. Note that the CoreRPG extensions can be used for most of the rulesets that are layered on top of CoreRPG: https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?20320-FG-3-0-CoreRPG-Extensions

Thanks!!! Appreciate the info.

Kyuss11
December 14th, 2016, 02:08
Would appreciate a compatible version of your mod with Image text labels please.

Nulk
December 30th, 2016, 07:53
Hey Trenloe, is this extension still on the radar for an update? no pressure mate but i did previously find this a handy one to use.

Sgain
January 1st, 2017, 00:48
Also, any word on if this is working with Savage Worlds now, I'd really like to use it.

Tubel
April 15th, 2017, 06:37
Hi Trenloe, I too was very excited for this one, but I might have jumped on a fraction early between update verification cycles. i've had some problems - I can't really describe exactly what i did as i am still in the noob phase of understanding what i'm doing but i ended up with a couple of giant letter tokens on the map i couldn't even right click to remove or select options. (i had a "P" counter on the map to show where the party was as they explored the island). I've now disabled the extension and the tokens are still somehow indelibly embedded in the map. It's all good, i obviously should have read the thread first but it was jsut the functionality i needed so i got a rush of blood to the head!
I've recreated the map, so all is well. but I have kept the dodgy one just in case it's useful to you for your efforts later on.

dave

damned
April 15th, 2017, 09:21
Hey Tubel it is quite likely that this extension needs some updating for 3.3.0 as there were some code changes to layers.

Tubel
April 15th, 2017, 16:04
that's what i meant by "i should have read the thread first" :-)

iotech
May 2nd, 2017, 22:31
@Trenloe,
I know you're busy creating pure magic for us with other extensions, but this one needs love too! Please update for 3.3.0 :)

Thank you!

Nickademus
May 2nd, 2017, 23:10
He has been delayed due to getting modules made for the initial launch of the official Pathfinder content. He may still be busy for a bit on the second batch.

iotech
May 5th, 2017, 03:50
Ah, ok. That's an excellent reason (not that he needs one). Thanks!

Seanshrd
May 5th, 2017, 19:18
I'm eagerly waiting to test this extension out, I hope he gets some free time to update it.

Trenloe
May 8th, 2017, 02:00
I can hear you talking about me!

;)

Trenloe
May 8th, 2017, 02:04
I've had a quick look at updating this and unfortunately, FG v3.3.0 seems to be handling transparent tokens differently than it did in previous versions. The extension uses transparent tokens as the anchor for the labels. This now means that the labels can be interacted with, and get in the way of other tokens. So, until I find a solution to this, it wouldn't be such a good idea to use this with the transparent tokens getting in the way.

Trenloe
May 8th, 2017, 04:01
Updated for FG v3.3.0.

Extension v1.2 available in post #1.

Note: On one of my PCs I experienced an issue where I could select the labels like normal tokens - which caused token stacking issues, etc.. I can't reproduce this on my other computers. So, it's possible that others might experience the same issue - I'd be interested in hearing if that is the case. I'm investigating my one PC that has the issue.

Callum
May 8th, 2017, 10:46
Under two hours to find the solution and post an updated extension - impressive! :ninja:

Trenloe
May 9th, 2017, 05:52
Note: On one of my PCs I experienced an issue where I could select the labels like normal tokens - which caused token stacking issues, etc.. I can't reproduce this on my other computers. So, it's possible that others might experience the same issue - I'd be interested in hearing if that is the case. I'm investigating my one PC that has the issue.
Found the cause of the issue - enabling "Cross-platform compatibility mode for Linux and Mac" causes token areas of transparency to be selected and causes possible issues with this extension. So, if you use this extension, I'd recommend making sure you have "Cross-platform compatibility mode for Linux and Mac" turned off (unless you really need it enabled to fix graphics issues).

spite
May 13th, 2017, 03:59
This is currently not working for 4e ruleset?
Opening a map just shows these https://puu.sh/vOkKA/0a4260aa88.jpg
It's definitely activated https://puu.sh/vOkL5/754b835832.jpg
There is no module in the library (as mentioned in the video, unsure if it's meant to be there with current version, but worth stating).

Edit, actually just noticed I had player image auto size extension on. It appears that was conflicting with it, and works now I've turned it off.

Steeleyes
November 2nd, 2018, 20:51
A very nice extension for adding notes to maps. Many thanks.

I wonder if there is a way to allow multi-line notes? Squarer labels fit better sometimes.

The notes on my maps cover up quite a lot of the detail when I'm zoomed out. It would be super-nice to be able to place the note to one side of a target point where there might be space. Maybe we could have a line or arrow that points to the correct place (and continues to point to roughly the correct place as we all zoom in and out). Obviously it complicates things but thought I'd ask.

Trenloe
November 2nd, 2018, 20:57
A very nice extension for adding notes to maps. Many thanks.

I wonder if there is a way to allow multi-line notes? Squarer labels fit better sometimes.

The notes on my maps cover up quite a lot of the detail when I'm zoomed out. It would be super-nice to be able to place the note to one side of a target point where there might be space. Maybe we could have a line or arrow that points to the correct place (and continues to point to roughly the correct place as we all zoom in and out). Obviously it complicates things but thought I'd ask.

This was pretty much a proof of concept extension and it soon became very complex - relying on token placeholders on the map, which then inherit other scaling factors which could be set on the map. This then makes it pretty hard to control the exact size and position of the labels.

With the inherent complexity, and FGU coming out sometime soon, I don't plan to maintain this extension. In fact, it isn't really compatible with the most recent version of FG rulesets. But, if you fancy playing around with it and adding some things you'd like to see - go for it! :)

iotech
November 3rd, 2018, 00:03
and FGU coming out sometime soon

;) indeed lol

Steeleyes
November 4th, 2018, 13:00
This was pretty much a proof of concept extension and it soon became very complex - relying on token placeholders on the map, which then inherit other scaling factors which could be set on the map. This then makes it pretty hard to control the exact size and position of the labels.

With the inherent complexity, and FGU coming out sometime soon, I don't plan to maintain this extension. In fact, it isn't really compatible with the most recent version of FG rulesets. But, if you fancy playing around with it and adding some things you'd like to see - go for it! :)

Yes that makes sense. I hadn't come across the videos and FAQ on FGU (I must have been living under a rock) so that was very interesting. I'll wait with the rest of you for FGU and see if it has native support for player/GM layers and text on maps.

garrion_sw
December 23rd, 2018, 14:49
I understand that Trenloe is not supporting this extension anymore and this post is purely informational for any newcomers. If you have this extension enabled you will not see the new image buttons in 3.3.7 that enable the map to background option. Otherwise the extension seems to be working fine.

Eldarc
January 27th, 2019, 22:07
I love this extension but doesn't work properly now with FG 3.3.7 :(

Bidmaron
January 28th, 2019, 01:28
Trenloe no Lon ger supports the extension either.

Tielc
February 25th, 2019, 16:13
I have a question how this extension works "under the hood". Is this actually placing an image that uses location on the current image? The reason I asked, is I am looking for a solution to add labels for GM notes to my maps. I've already attempted this with Enhanced Images, and after adding several "labels" as tokens which are hidden from the players, I noticed that performance started to suffer a bit. Should I expect the same thing with this?

One additional question. Is there a way to make sure the text labels appear underneath link pins? In my example above, I'm specifically trying to place labels like A1, A2, A3, etc. I would then like to drop my story entry pins directly on top of the label then, however, they keep appearing below the label.

Trenloe
February 25th, 2019, 21:38
First things first - this extension is really a proof-of-concept and has not been updated to work with recent versions of FG. For instance, I doubt if it will work with the new desktop panels.

I have a question how this extension works "under the hood". Is this actually placing an image that uses location on the current image? The reason I asked, is I am looking for a solution to add labels for GM notes to my maps. I've already attempted this with Enhanced Images, and after adding several "labels" as tokens which are hidden from the players, I noticed that performance started to suffer a bit. Should I expect the same thing with this?
The extension places a small, transparent, token on the image which is used as the placeholder to attach the label, in the form of a text widget: https://www.fantasygrounds.com/refdoc/textwidget.xcp

I haven't tested beyond approx. 20 labels. As mentioned, the graphical content is not a token, and the small transparent token used is 50x50 in size, so I doubt this would have the same impact as putting a bunch of much higher resolution tokens on a map.

One additional question. Is there a way to make sure the text labels appear underneath link pins? In my example above, I'm specifically trying to place labels like A1, A2, A3, etc. I would then like to drop my story entry pins directly on top of the label then, however, they keep appearing below the label.
The text label widget is drawn and then is sent to the back of the drawing order using sendToBack: https://www.fantasygrounds.com/refdoc/widget.xcp#sendToBack I imagine, as the image pins are placed by the base FG application, not FG API code, that they are drawn first, and then the labels are drawn later - on top of the pins. The best you can do is offset the pins slightly from the labels.

Doomsmythe
April 4th, 2020, 02:54
This is probably a dumb question but I can't seem to find the answer. And I have looked LOL. Does this extension work with Unity?

damned
April 4th, 2020, 02:55
This extension in unsupported and very unlikely to work.

Doomsmythe
April 4th, 2020, 03:16
Thanks my man! That would explain the goofiness when I load it. I just wish there was a way to do it in Unity.

damned
April 4th, 2020, 03:17
People will start building extensions for Unity once it is in Live mode.

nildik
April 19th, 2020, 23:35
Hello. I get this error when open any image:

Script Error: [string "campaign/scripts/image.lua"]:784: attempt to call field 'updateDisplay' (a nil value)
Ruleset Warning: buttoncontrol: Could not find icon (tool_paint_20) for control (edittext_labelsinimage) in windowclass (imagewindow_toolbar)
Runtime Notice: s'Formatted imageNodeName = image_id-00002_image'

Bonkon
April 19th, 2020, 23:50
Good Day Nildik and Welcome :)
If you are using FGU (Unity version) it is not supported currently so any errors there will, most likely, be unresolved at this time.
If you are in FGC (Classic Version) start by checking if it works in a fresh campaign with no other extensions running, it could be bumping heads with something else you have loaded :)

nildik
April 20th, 2020, 00:14
Hello again!! I'm using FG classic. I tried in a fresh campaign with no other extensions and get only the first line of the error:

Script Error: [string "campaign/scripts/image.lua"]:784: attempt to call field 'updateDisplay' (a nil value)

Kelrugem
April 20th, 2020, 00:46
Hello again!! I'm using FG classic. I tried in a fresh campaign with no other extensions and get only the first line of the error:

As far as I know this extension got not update or maintained anymore :) It is likely that it is incompatible with FGC itself, too :) (when I am wrong, Trenloe hopefully corrects me in that :) )

Poe the Homunculus
May 20th, 2021, 23:23
I just tried this extension with a 5e game on FGU and it crashed every image I opened up. :/

Kelrugem
May 20th, 2021, 23:25
I just tried this extension with a 5e game on FGU and it crashed every image I opened up. :/

See the post directly above yours :P

Especially since FGU has completely different image stuff and code, it is very unlikely that it works there :)

damned
May 20th, 2021, 23:52
This extension was written 5 years for FGC. Image handling and layers are very different in FGU.

Poe the Homunculus
May 21st, 2021, 05:08
Any chance something this cool may be coming back :) I know I would use it.