PDA

View Full Version : Unable to load external IP or Load Server; FG is broken

TinCanKing
August 19th, 2016, 04:21
I have been using FG for about a year and a half and have never had any major issues. I recently purchased a new router and have been unable to successfully use FG. I've moved and swapped routers a couple times within the past year and a half, but this is the first time that a problem has persisted after I set up port forwarding on the router. I've double checked that port 1802 is forwarded and that UPnP is on, but I am still unable to start a server or load an external IP in the FG loader. Additionally, I always fail when I click "Run Test," and when I check for updates it will timeout infinitely.

Since the only thing that has changed since the last time I played is the router, and port 1802 is open and UPnP is on, I have no idea what the issue is.

Please help!

midas
August 19th, 2016, 04:45
If checking for updates is failing then your issue is probably firewall related. Port forwarding is only used for incoming traffic from the outside (I'm not sure what you mean exactly by "load an external IP in the FG loader"). I'd make sure your antivirus software isn't blocking FantasyGroundsUpdater.exe. I'd whitelist FantasyGrounds.exe while you're at it.

One thing you could do to test and make sure your firewall isn't mucking up the works is this:

- Start Fantasy Grounds and load a campaign.
- Launch another copy of Fantasy Grounds (if you're using Steam you'll need to find FantasyGrounds.exe and launch it directly; the default install location is C:\Program Files (x86)\Fantasy Grounds on a 64-bit Windows machine).
- In the second copy of Fantasy Grounds connect to localhost. This will connect you to the FG instance that is running the campaign.

If you can't connect, then your issue is likely firewall related, as there are no forwarded ports at work in the above scenario. If the firewall is blocking locally then it will also block the traffic you've forwarded in through your router. It also will probably be blocking FantasyGroundsUpdater.exe from being able to get online and connect to Smiteworks update servers (Norton AV is notorious for doing this from time to time).

TinCanKing
August 20th, 2016, 00:21
I would love to follow these steps, but I'm not even able to load a campaign. Would this issue be indicative of a firewall problem as well?

I disabled the windows firewall, router firewall, and my antivirus, but it hasn't resolved any of the problems I've mentioned.

damned
August 20th, 2016, 01:08
Send me a PM if you want me to have a look with you.