PDA

View Full Version : Do you use the quest function within story?

kevdog45
August 19th, 2016, 01:17
I don't really see a use for it since you can put all of the story related content in the story panel. For example, I can put every room in my dungeon in the story panel and just work from there. Is there a good use for quests that I am missing? Does it have special functionality that would be useful?

Andraax
August 19th, 2016, 02:41
You can drag quests onto the XP tab of the Party Sheet, and when the players have completed the quest, automatically apply the XP to the characters.

LordEntrails
August 19th, 2016, 04:11
I use them as Andraax outlines.

chrisiav
August 19th, 2016, 17:37
I use them, usually for events that dont involve combat. For example, if the party meets a confused ghost looking for a lost item. There may be combat encounters involved in the hunt for the item which the party gets XP but if they actually return the item to the ghost (so to speak), then I also award the quest xp. If they keep the item the party still gets the combat xp but not the quest. There may be an easier way to do such using the Story interface that I'm not thinking of but I find using quests works well.

Zacchaeus
August 19th, 2016, 19:31
I use them as a sort of log book for the PCs so that they know what they are doing. And additionally as Andraax says

Trenloe
August 19th, 2016, 22:55
There may be an easier way to do such using the Story interface that I'm not thinking of but I find using quests works well.
Quests are specifically a way of providing experience for non combat encounter/scenario achievements - via the party sheet experience distribution mechanism: https://www.fantasygrounds.com/wiki/index.php/5E_Party_Sheet#XP_Tab

You can provide more details in a story entry, and then have the quest record linked within the story entry for quick and easy access allowing the GM the add the quest to the party sheet when it has been completed/earned.

Varsuuk
August 19th, 2016, 23:40
Sorry... I'm probably not very up to date with terms: Andraax?

viresanimi
August 19th, 2016, 23:43
The second poster in this thread

Talyn
August 19th, 2016, 23:46
Sorry... I'm probably not very up to date with terms: Andraax?

The fellow who commented in post #2 (https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?33689-Do-you-use-the-quest-function-within-story&p=285476&viewfull=1#post285476)...

Varsuuk
August 20th, 2016, 20:20
Lol... I thought it was an acronym. Can't believe I didn't notice that... But then again, I'm on vacation...Brain is too?

PS, if you like Medieval stuff / RenFaires, the walled city (with keep) of Carcossonne in France is fantastic.

swest
August 25th, 2016, 21:12
Quests are specifically a way of providing experience for non combat encounter/scenario achievements - via the party sheet experience distribution mechanism: https://www.fantasygrounds.com/wiki/index.php/5E_Party_Sheet#XP_Tab

You can provide more details in a story entry, and then have the quest record linked within the story entry for quick and easy access allowing the GM the add the quest to the party sheet when it has been completed/earned.

Regarding the 5E Party sheet documentation you linked to, I don't see much of anything there that is 5E-specific. Does that documentation also apply to the PFRPG/3.5E party sheet, but the PFRPG/3.5E documentation just hasn't been updated yet?

- s.west

Zacchaeus
August 25th, 2016, 21:16
The link provided is all about 5e and only about 5e. Which part do you see that isn't about 5e?

Here's the link to the 3.5 party Sheet (https://www.fantasygrounds.com/wiki/index.php/3.5E_Party_Sheet)

Trenloe
August 25th, 2016, 21:45
Does that documentation also apply to the PFRPG/3.5E party sheet...
Yes, it's essentially exactly the same process/functionality.

swest
August 25th, 2016, 22:17
Yes, it's essentially exactly the same process/functionality.

Thanks. That's what I hoped. Although it has been a while since last running my game in FG, I thought that I remembered having performed many of the operations that the 5E documentation covers in more detail than the PFRPG/3.5E documentation.

How about the 5E Combat Tracker documentation? Does it apply, in a similar fashion, to the PFRPG/3.5E Combat Tracker? But providing more detail than what is currently in the PFRPG/3.5E Documentation?

Thanks, again.

- s.west