PDA

View Full Version : Creating a custom Dragonlance Calendar

Jamesr10
August 16th, 2016, 16:12
Hey all. So, I've tried and failed many time to make this happen. Would anyone be interested in creating this for all the Dragonlance fans out there? Attached is the info straight from the DL Dm screen from back in 3.5 days.

Thanks in advance!

Blahness98
August 18th, 2016, 02:13
We're you looking at making a single calendar with everything or multiple calendars in the one module. And how many days in a month?

Blahness98
August 18th, 2016, 06:36
So, couldn't sleep, so here. I used a base 30 day calendar as per The Nexus page (https://www.dlnexus.com/fan/rules/14337.aspx#holidays) and added all the holidays listed there to the calendars. You should have Ergoth, Plainsmen, Solamnic, Dwarven, Elven, Kender, and Goblin calendars. I didn't use this page (https://www.dlnexus.com/fan/rules/15540.aspx) from the Nexus, since it was really odd. Hope it helps.

Jamesr10
August 18th, 2016, 16:33
Man that is amazing! I really appreciate it. Now, let me see if I can get it installed lol

ScooterZ
December 23rd, 2016, 15:47
Was this ever successfully installed?

Nickademus
December 23rd, 2016, 19:34
Works for me.

Zacchaeus
December 23rd, 2016, 20:11
Was this ever successfully installed?

You need to download the mod from the link above, save it in your mods folder and then open it from the library just like any other mod. What I can't tell you is what ruleset(s) this will work with.

Nickademus
December 23rd, 2016, 21:35
Any ruleset

Andraax
December 24th, 2016, 14:38
When I noticed that this calendar didn't come with any supporting functions, I realized that it was not going to work properly. If you open it up, you'll notice that as it goes from month to month, it skips days of the week or even backs up and redoes days of the week occasionally. This is because it's still using Gregorian date calculations, with varying month length and leap years. I've built a simple date calculation that fixes this problem, and modified the original module to use the new date routine. The source linked does not specify a starting point for the calendar, so I just used a simple "year 0" starting point - if someone can point me to a more detailed calendar source for the Dragon Lance setting, I can fix the calculations using this as well.

Anyway, you need to load the extension when you load your campaign, then you can open the module and it will calculate dates correctly. If you have already previously opened the module in your campaign, you will need to "reset" your calendar and close / reopen the module (so that it loads the new lunar day calculator properly).

Nickademus
December 24th, 2016, 17:02
I'm not sure I understand what you are talking about, Andraax. It is using the gregorian date calculations because it has the following element:

<lunardaycalc type="string">gregorian</lunardaycalc>
Just remove that line. I'm not sure what you are needing an extension for. The calendar code is very open-ended and any calendar should be able to be made with it as is.

I don't know anything about the Dragonlance calendar, but I have the old DL material. I can look in it and see what it is supposed to be. Still, if the confounding Greyhawk calendar can be made in FG, I'm confident that the Dragonlance one can as well.

Nickademus
December 24th, 2016, 17:29
I looked it up in the DL Campaign Setting and found this:
There are seven days in a week as measured in Ansalon, with four weeks comprising a month, and twelve months in a year. Among different cultures, the only variation is in the names given to the days and months.
So the use of 30-day months is incorrect (as is the use of the gregorian format). The calendar of Eberron would be the model to make this after.

Andraax
December 24th, 2016, 17:59
I'm not sure I understand what you are talking about, Andraax.

This is what I'm talking about:

Notice how the calendar skips over "Council Day" when going from "Ice Glaze" to "Snow Deep", and then replays "Friend Day" and "Hunt Day" when going from "Snow Deep" to "Mountain Thaw"? The end and beginning of most months have these inconsistent start / end dates. *That's* what my extension fixes.

Trenloe
December 24th, 2016, 18:07
If anyone has identified product defects, please post in the House of Healing thread so that the devs are aware and can work on incorporating fixes. Thanks.

Andraax
December 24th, 2016, 18:10
I looked it up in the DL Campaign Setting and found this:
So the use of 30-day months is incorrect (as is the use of the gregorian format). The calendar of Eberron would be the model to make this after.

OK, since all months have an exact multiple of the number of days in a week, then an extension is not needed. Here is the module with 28 day months:

Andraax
December 24th, 2016, 18:13
If anyone has identified product defects, please post in the House of Healing thread so that the devs are aware and can work on incorporating fixes. Thanks.

It's not a defect per se. It's just the calendar module was using an incorrect definition for calculating month start / end dates.

Nickademus
December 24th, 2016, 19:34
OK, since all months have an exact multiple of the number of days in a week, then an extension is not needed. Here is the module with 28 day months:

Yes, well, I was giving Blahness a chance to fix his module first, so as not to step on his toes. But yeah, a simple 28-day calendar with the proper month and day names is all that is needed.

Blahness98
December 25th, 2016, 03:28
Feel free to fix as I only made this very quickly while being unable to sleep.

stephenzorn
January 5th, 2017, 09:46
Hey Andraax I have a question for you about how you modified the calendars.mod file to make your DL Calendar.mod file. I'm trying to make a Calendar for the SW Hellfrost setting and have tried using and changing the original calendars.mod file and your .mod file but when I rezip it and rename it back to a .mod then put it back into the modules folder is doesn't show up in the Data Module Activation section of the Library? All I do when use the original file is is the same thing you did with yours and just change the string text and copy/paste sections when need to add more holiday sections, days or months. Btw was using Notepad++ to edit files.

I think the error maybe happening when I am unzipping and rezipping the files? Am using 7zip 16.04(x64). So to test my theory I took your file DL Calendar.mod file and opened it in FG and it came up. Then I changed the file name to .zip, unzipped using 7zip and then zipped it right back again (using the regular .zip format not the .7z one) and change the name back to .mod and wouldn't load in FG. Even tried this with the original calendars.mod file with same results. Any thoughts on how can fix this issue? What zip program did you use when you did yours?

Sorry for run on sentences btw lol just getting frustrated with this problem and want to make sure to give as much info as can to see if someone can help.

Zacchaeus
January 5th, 2017, 10:08
You are either not zipping it up correctly or are using the wrong format.

When you zip you need to select everything inside the folder (not the folder itself) and zip that. Also don't use anything other than winzip. It won't recognise .7z or .rar etc only .zip.

damned
January 5th, 2017, 11:39
You are either not zipping it up correctly or are using the wrong format.

When you zip you need to select everything inside the folder (not the folder itself) and zip that. Also don't use anything other than winzip. It won't recognise .7z or .rar etc only .zip.

most zip compression apps are fine - so long as its fairly vanilla zip compression...