PDA

View Full Version : How to handle card decks?

Rouby
August 16th, 2016, 08:26
Hi,

I previously played on roll20 with my group and decided to try Fantasy Grounds. Roll20 has the ability to create card-decks and deal cards to players. I used this feature to dish out some cards as a replacement for inspiration (we are playing DnD 5e, cards in question (https://www.reddit.com/r/dndnext/comments/2l5lq0/my_inspiration_replacement_inspiration_cards/)).

Now my question is, how could I remodel this feature with Fantasy Grounds? I setup a table to roll for cards, but is there an automated way to handle the current hand for each player (other then having them write them into notes)?

Zacchaeus
August 16th, 2016, 08:52
Welcome Rouby, to Fantasy Grounds and to the community.

You could have a look at this extension (https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?23099-Basic-Card-Tables-Extensions) to see if it's any use to you.

Rouby
August 16th, 2016, 09:23
Thanks for the link. I might incorporate it, but as far as I understand that extension, it provides no way to deal with the current "inventory" of cards a player has.

What would you recommend for this? Just a note-page for each player and each player can then drag/drop the cards he drew into his notes? Or is there something better suited for this, maybe something with automation... on the other hand: would it be possible to develop an extension that models this behaviour? If so, could you point me in a direction where I would start to develop such an extension?

Thanks for any help, much appreciated.

damned
August 16th, 2016, 10:03
Hi Rouby - there is no mechanism currently for players to share their records with others. This would not be a simple extension it will require some decent LUA ability to make work.

Zacchaeus
August 16th, 2016, 11:16
I haven't read the mechanic you are looking to emulate in detail but it strikes me that you could do this with items. Create the items via the items tab, you can give them different 'levels' etc and have descriptive text telling the player what benefit they have (you can even links spells, other magic items, images or other information to them). You can then export these items into a module which you can use in any campaign. Furthermore if you use this extension (https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?26044-Campaign-Effects-Export-Extension-(CoreRPG-based-rulesets)) you can write up a bunch of relevant effects and export those too.

In use you'd share the item with the player and once they have used it up you can unshare it. Using something like this would allow you to monitor things better than you could with notes perhaps.

Trenloe
August 16th, 2016, 18:57
What would you recommend for this? Just a note-page for each player and each player can then drag/drop the cards he drew into his notes?
Yeah, you could use notes if you wanted the players to be able to edit it - have one note created by each player so they have ownership of it. Or use story entries if you want the GM to control them. You'll need to share the card image with the player or right click on the link once you put it in the notes/story entry and select "Make link shareable", so they have access to it.

damned
August 17th, 2016, 00:34
Im thinking of an extension that could work for this use of Cards... but I dont have time right now! There is a fair chunk of work... need to think about it...