PDA

View Full Version : Traps that Do Ability Damage

Netjera
August 15th, 2016, 10:09
I've looked all over, and I've found answers to parts of these questions, but nothing that seems to address them together. I have a Yellow Mold trap that triggers when a box is opened. The trap does 1d6 temporary Constitution damage on the first failed save, and 2d6 additional temporary Constitution damage on the second failed save. I have tried every combination of Effects triggers that I can think of, in the Damage field, (DMG: 1d6 [CON]) as well as things like (1d6 Constitution) and (1d6 CON) just trying to get the damage "typed" correctly, and nothing is working.

If I understand what I've read, it's not possible to apply the damage as part of weapon damage, but I didn't know if this would also be the case with a trap. I did try to add the damage as a spell effect damage, creating the Constitution damage as spells in the spell effect panel for the trap, but that doesn't appear to work either. Is there any way to do this at all, or am I tiring myself needlessly?

Thanks!

Trenloe
August 15th, 2016, 18:22
Traps have the same underlying functionality as NPCs. So you still have the same limitations - weapons and spells (actions) essentially.

There is not a damage type in the ruleset that applies directly to an ability score - see the [damage type] listing under the Modifiers table here: https://www.fantasygrounds.com/wiki/index.php/3.5E_Effects#Modifiers

You could apply a CON effect after you've manually rolled for CON damage (note the CON effect only supports numbers, not dice rolls - as there is nothing to trigger the dice roll).

Or, you could roll the dice manually and apply the result to the "Dmg" file of Constitution on the character sheet main tab. This is probably your preferred method as the damage is automatically healed when a overnight rest is triggered by the GM.

Note: using either a CON effect or adding to the Constitution Dmg field does not adjust Hit Points, you'll need to do this manually.

Netjera
August 15th, 2016, 23:11
Traps have the same underlying functionality as NPCs. So you still have the same limitations - weapons and spells (actions) essentially.

There is not a damage type in the ruleset that applies directly to an ability score - see the [damage type] listing under the Modifiers table here: https://www.fantasygrounds.com/wiki/index.php/3.5E_Effects#Modifiers

You could apply a CON effect after you've manually rolled for CON damage (note the CON effect only supports numbers, not dice rolls - as there is nothing to trigger the dice roll).

<snip> I was afraid you were going to say this. Guess I'll enter the effect information into the trap manually, and then when the trap pops just roll it all by-hand. Thanks.

Or, you could roll the dice manually and apply the result to the "Dmg" file of Constitution on the character sheet main tab. This is probably your preferred method as the damage is automatically healed when a overnight rest is triggered by the GM.

<snip again> I didn't know this! Does this happen when triggering a rest from the Party Sheet? Cool!

Note: using either a CON effect or adding to the Constitution Dmg field does not adjust Hit Points, you'll need to do this manually.

Eek! I didn't know this either. This explains some confusion my players were having when I used some homebrewed cold damage rules and nobody showed any hp reduction.

Thanks again!