PDA

View Full Version : Editing the same campaign from multiple computers

Brewin
August 15th, 2016, 05:09
Apologies first of all as I'm sure this question has been asked before...

(I tried searching for an answer but only got as far as reading "The EULA states that you have a license to use one copy of the software on any one system and that the license is not transferable to any other system. In other words you are not allowed to install the software on several computers. The software itself cannot tell what computer it is running on and as long as no two players in a game are using the same license, the software will assume the above to be true." in the FAQ and Damned stating "The license is for one user on one computer but the devs have stated here they dont mind you using it on 2 computers so long as you are abiding by the spirit of the license and not using them both at the same time." in this thread: https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?25785-Profantasy-on-two-computers)

So my issue is that the laptop I run FG sessions from (using the ultimate license) is sometimes busy running code at other times (for my day job) when I'm twiddling my thumbs and would like to be able to be working on my campaign (WotC converted products with additional custom edits) on a second laptop.

Is it possible to copy all of my work to another laptop, for the purposes of being able to do further edits to my campaign, and then copy changes back to the main laptop I run sessions from? And if so, how best do I go about this to ensure I don't lose any edits or break anything?

Thanks in advance :)

LordEntrails
August 15th, 2016, 06:04
Copy the FG Data folder back and forth (or parts of it, just be careful).

Cloud type synch software can be used, as long as it doesn't run when FG is running. It has been reported to cause corruption.

Easiest way to find the FG Data folder is on the launch screen, their is a folder icon on the top right corner. click that and it will open your FG data folder.

Brewin
August 15th, 2016, 06:27
Okay that's kinda what I figured (but just wanted to check rather than find out the hard way I'd lost something!) ...many thanks!

HoratioDrank
August 16th, 2016, 15:01
I hope that when FG Unity is released, it accounts for this. I'd like to see the FG data folder able to be stored in, say, Dropbox.

Nickademus
August 16th, 2016, 15:45
It can be stored in Dropbox. Click on the Dropbox icon on your taskbar, then click the gear symbol and choose Pause Syncing prior to running FG. When you close FG, repeat the process and choose Resume Syncing.

damned
August 16th, 2016, 15:57
I hope that when FG Unity is released, it accounts for this. I'd like to see the FG data folder able to be stored in, say, Dropbox.

Its unlikely to happen. Its a DB file that gets written to many times. Dropbox is not designed for storing active databases.

Nylanfs
August 16th, 2016, 19:06
^^ This

HoratioDrank
August 16th, 2016, 21:19
I have never done any programming with Dropbox, but I have to imagine that one of the multiple APIs Dropbox makes available to developers (or one of the many externally written APIs) has functions that lock down folders and/or files to syncing and updating while a given app is open and claiming those resources.

Nickademus
August 17th, 2016, 00:09
I think the problem is that FG only accesses the db.xml file every 5 minutes and when /save is used. It saves the new xml file over the old one and it's done. Not much interaction going on, but it is doing it regularly. So Dropbox may not know that FG is continuously using the file since it doesn't actually open it or hold any lock on the file (I've literally had a db.xml file open in Notepad++ while FG was running and watched it go out of sync: N++ notifies me of the change and asks me if I want to resync).

damned
August 17th, 2016, 00:46
There are many database driven applications that tell you not to use dropbox or any other cloudsync to store your data. Stick your backups in there or use a workaround like Nickademus does.

Trenloe
August 17th, 2016, 01:51
I have never done any programming with Dropbox, but I have to imagine that one of the multiple APIs Dropbox makes available to developers (or one of the many externally written APIs) has functions that lock down folders and/or files to syncing and updating while a given app is open and claiming those resources.
Hey, it might be possible. But then SmiteWorks would have to decide on which cloud sync solution/s to support. Please add it to the wishlist so the devs see it and can think on it: https://fg2app.idea.informer.com/