PDA

View Full Version : Im/Exported Character Portrait XML code?

Talyn
August 14th, 2016, 05:12
I have a few exported characters. Most just have <character> and all the stats. One has <character portrait=""> however which naturally made me wonder if I could specify his portrait image there, since he does have one on the character selection window. So far no luck.

Anyone happen to know the syntax for manually specifying a portrait? Ideally what I'd like to do is create a module (.mod) that has all the characters listed out in common.xml then a /portraits/ folder with the images.

damned
August 14th, 2016, 08:28
Cant be done AFAIK.

Talyn
August 14th, 2016, 14:41
Booooo... not what I wanted to hear...

Hmm... well OK what if I zipped up all the portrait images into a .ppk and plopped that into the .mod? (I guess it would still have to go under /portraits/ perhaps? Or no?) Would they show up when a player tries to assign the portrait then? Guess I'll have to play with this.

Zacchaeus
August 14th, 2016, 14:49
Portraits are independent of modules and can't be included in one, nor can you create a module of portraits. They just sit there all on their own in the portraits folder.

Andraax
August 14th, 2016, 16:17
Portraits are loaded locally from the user's computer, not the host.

Mask_of_winter
August 14th, 2016, 16:51
Portraits are independent of modules and can't be included in one, nor can you create a module of portraits. They just sit there all on their own in the portraits folder.
You can create a .ppk file though.

Zacchaeus
August 14th, 2016, 17:27
You can create a .ppk file though.

Is that the same as a module?

Talyn
August 14th, 2016, 18:57
Right, I usually make .ppk anyway but I didn't know if I could reference them in the portrait="" segment. Apparently that is non-functional. :(

Mortar
August 15th, 2016, 04:22
Is that the same as a module?

Yes...except its jist the portraits.

Trenloe
August 15th, 2016, 08:09
Is that the same as a module?Yes...except its jist the portraits.
Yes... and no. Mostly no, .ppk files aren't the same as modules.

Modules are activated and used primarily from the GM side (although the players can request that a module they have and the GM doesn't have can be used just by players who have the module - but the GM still has to allow it to be opened). .ppk Portrait packages are only used locally (they aren't shared from the GM) and FG links can't reference them like module data can (module data is stored in the FG database format and can be referenced as <database node name>@<module name>).

.ppk portrait packages are really just a way of packaging portraits together in a ZIP file locally instead of having a bunch of .PNG files on the hard drive, which also is used to categorise the portraits into a "bag" in the portrait viewing window. That's it. FG only accesses the .ppk file on the local hard drive and any portrait the player (or GM) selects is merged into the campaign on the GM side into an icon resource in the form of a portrait set (https://www.fantasygrounds.com/refdoc/portraitset.xcp) but these reference the portrait file downloaded from the player/GM side into the specific campaign. You can't reference a portrait file directly in the .ppk package.

Zacchaeus
August 15th, 2016, 12:51
Thanks, Trenloe.

Ravenspawn
May 3rd, 2017, 02:45
1- There is a serious lack of PC portrait packages. Are there any plans or ideas of creating or offering more? And in multiple genres (Sci-Fi, Horror, Comtemporary, etc). I know that GMs using Windows are able to import their own images, but I've used FG on Macs ans Lunux and I just cannot import portraits.

2- This one is a follow up to question 1. Is there a work around to import them?

damned
May 3rd, 2017, 02:57
Just about every player I game with wants to provide their own portrait.
You can add more portraits very similarly to how you would on a PC but the path is more convoluted.
Are you using a Steam install, the new install or the manual Wineskin method or another way?
You will want to drill into the Wineskin using Finder and locate the FG install and Data path and create a shortcut to it.
You can then add images to that location from Finder.

Ravenspawn
May 3rd, 2017, 15:39
Thank you Mr. Damned.

I will try that tonight.