PDA

View Full Version : Savage Stargate, anyone done it?

Ferrin
August 12th, 2016, 06:41
Alrighty, I finally got around to making an OGL friendly version of the Stargate Player's Guide. I am still working on the GM Guide's tables and overall structure so that may be awhile longer. The entire project is a work in progress. I don't mind pointers, or constructive criticism after you've taken it for a spin, but keep the negativity and/or whining to yourself. Basically, I only want to hear ideas on how to make it better, not how I did it wrong.

Savage Stargate Player's Guide (https://drive.google.com/open?id=0Bxv-EY6-FfWdSXF0bGRoaGhCc28)

What I have planned for the GM's Guide
Random World Stat Generation Table - everything from atmospheric pressure,weather, and tectonic activity to which society and how advanced it is in one table (Done)
Mission Generation Table - Generates a mission type, and some basic parameters (basically an episodic adventure generator)(Working on it)
Generic Command Structure- The SGC's actual command structure is not OGL (not begun)

Mask_of_winter
August 12th, 2016, 13:16
https://lmgtfy.com/?q=stargate+for+savage+worlds

Skellan
August 12th, 2016, 14:28
Some conversions/settings are better than others, I haven't looked at the Stargate one but there is a general consensus among the sw community that less is more when it comes to conversions, and the focus should be on giving savage worlds the flavor of the setting rather than creating a new system. I missed out on stargate but imagine that you can do most things you need through re-skinning and trappings. The sci-fi companion will probably be useful. Also, have a look at some existing savage worlds settings and see if any are similar, they may have some good info you can mine.

Savaging things is fun. Good luck with it :)

Ferrin
August 12th, 2016, 18:38
https://lmgtfy.com/?q=stargate+for+savage+worlds

Funny enough did try Google first, as well as bing, and even scoured some play by post forums,didn't think what I found was all that great. But hey thanks for being a **** about it...

Ferrin
August 12th, 2016, 18:56
Some conversions/settings are better than others, I haven't looked at the Stargate one but there is a general consensus among the sw community that less is more when it comes to conversions, and the focus should be on giving savage worlds the flavor of the setting rather than creating a new system. I missed out on stargate but imagine that you can do most things you need through re-skinning and trappings. The sci-fi companion will probably be useful. Also, have a look at some existing savage worlds settings and see if any are similar, they may have some good info you can mine.

Savaging things is fun. Good luck with it :)

I'm not looking to change the rules or anything its a very long, with many spinoff series. Lots of trappings to get through, and possible ways to structure a game. What I have seen so far lives by the less is more rule, and it amounts to only a tiny fraction of what Stargates got to offer. I already regret making this post much like I regret most posts on this forum. But thanks for the insight, I'll take a look at the sci-fi companion.

Skellan
August 12th, 2016, 20:44
Sorry, I wasn't suggesting you shouldn't do it. What are you missing that you want to do

Ferrin
August 12th, 2016, 21:39
I'd really like people who watch the show to input which parts of the show they like, and whether it should be human SGC focused setting or an entirely new planet just exploring the gate system. Should it be set after the shows, during SG-1, Atlantis?

I have a loads of tables, stats, equipment, etc already. A SGC command structure and the whole nine.

Right now I am thinking in my mind start with SG-1, right when the Stargate is uncovered. The players will be fresh Navy and Air Force Cadets assigned to SG-24. And then have different mission types they can choose from. This is a covert, this is a rescue, this is a trade. And run episodic adventures. Pay them a military salary have different ranks. I chose Savage because its already got the wheel invented in that department.

Have SG-1 in the background progressing through the show as milestones and filler. Maybe cameo them in a bit as the team advances in rank.

But I want to incorporate Atlantis in as well, which opens up Spaceship adventures. Either on a ship like the Pegasus, which is one of Earth's InterGalactic Ships. Or Atlantian, or even Wraith. Which I am currently thinking having a crossover moment available in the game itself. When Atlantis team is formed, the SG team has an opportunity to sign up for it. Transfer command so to speak.

I was wondering if anyone here on the forum had already done Savage Stargate and how they structured the Campaign Setting.

And also asking fans of the show to throw in parts they want to see, like this npc from an obscure episode. Or this bit of tech someone found and almost died from. That kind of stuff.

GunbunnyFuFu
August 16th, 2016, 04:12
I know for my part, I was an ardent watcher of every single Stargate series/spinoff. I'm a huge fan of the original movie, and the original series. Subsequent series weren't bad, mind you, but I felt the tone of the shows were different. Perhaps it was due to the change in the bad guys...if you do a later set series, having a cameo from Hammond of Texas would rock :) Good luck!

cyphus5
August 19th, 2016, 12:37
I'd be glad to help in some fashion. I'd also like to have the .mod files you've already gotten for the campaign. Oh, and if you have players who are real stickler of the setting, you may want to have them be a part of SG-9 or lower in numeration. There were only 9 SG teams at beginning. Toward the end there were a total of 25 SG teams.

Where the campaign starts is entirely dependant on how you want the technology and the state of the Milky Way Galaxy. If you want the Ga'ould to be a threat, need to set it somewhere in the first of SG-1. Want space travel and exploration of other galaxies? Start near the end of SG-1 or SGA.

cyphus5
August 19th, 2016, 12:38
I'd be glad to help in some fashion. I'd also like to have the .mod files you've already gotten for the campaign. Oh, and if you have players who are real stickler of the setting, you may want to have them be a part of SG-9 or lower in numeration. There were only 9 SG teams at beginning. Toward the end there were a total of 25 SG teams.

Where the campaign starts is entirely dependant on how you want the technology and the state of the Milky Way Galaxy. If you want the Ga'ould to be a threat, need to set it somewhere in the first of SG-1. Want space travel and exploration of other galaxies? Start near the end of SG-1 or SGA.

Ferrin
August 19th, 2016, 20:09
Well, I just checked, The core book I am adapting is released under OGL. The problem is, I am using the extionsion to make the .mod and I have the non OGL stuff included in. So I can't share it, but I will see what I can do about making an OGL friendly mod.

Ferrin
August 27th, 2016, 08:03

Posted a Player's Guide in first post,have a look.