PDA

View Full Version : Traps as NPC Question

Rilmarion
August 12th, 2016, 00:56
So working on setting up traps before hand for my campaign. The way I was going to do it was set up one NPC named "Traps" and just have various actions under that NPC entry, like "(3) Electric Floor Tile". The (3) is basically the encounter/difficulty level, so I can easily look at them and see "Ah, this trap is good for a level 3 party, etc."

But issue I'm having is this. When I want a trap on a tile, I would normally drag either the NPC entry to make a note, or its token where the trap is to show it. but if this one NPC has lets say 50 different Traps (actions), how would I edit the note or Token to show: "ah, this trap is the (3) Electric Floor Tile and the one over in this corner of the other room is the (2) Pit Trap" and so on? Would it just be easier to create a new group for NPC called Traps and just create new NPC Entries for each trap?

damned
August 12th, 2016, 01:06
Do it in the way that works for you is the short answer! :)

Rilmarion
August 12th, 2016, 01:28
Okay, thanks. Think I will go with the Group and individual NPC entries.

Another quick question. Is there a way to make it so I can automate saves on those the Trap NPC has targeted? I have have it so it will deal 2d10 damage etc, but can't seem to figure out how to have the "DC 13 Dexterity Save" text highlight so it can be selected like the damage. Also, how would I set it up if they pass safe, only take half damage instead of full?

Zacchaeus
August 12th, 2016, 01:41
Yes you can do this. In the actions describe what will happen. So something like 'the target must make a DC 15 Dexterity Saving Throw. On a failure the target takes 2d6 piecing damage and half as much damage on a successful saving throw.' When that goes on the CT it should set up the save and damage.

LordEntrails
August 12th, 2016, 03:56
In your actions, use the same language you find for a spell or NPC with a similar thing. That way the CT will parse it and give you the automation you want.

Trenloe
August 12th, 2016, 03:57
@Rilmarion - is this for any specific system? If for 3.5E/Pathfinder, see the later sections in this guide: https://www.fantasygrounds.com/wiki/images/b/b7/Adventure-a-Week_Module_Creation_Guide.pdf

Rilmarion
August 13th, 2016, 00:52
Thanks all. And yeah, so far just 5E