PDA

View Full Version : Polling for Interest

Zane_Marlowe
August 29th, 2005, 05:01
Hi friends,

I'm going to have some of my Monday and/or Wednesday nights free soon, and I thought I'd actually try running something in FG. I have a few different kinds of games we can play, but all are d20 variations.

The overall story I want to explore is going to be role-play oriented (hack and slashers would not enjoy this I'm afraid), although they would not fail to include action as often as warranted. (Basically, some gamers play like a video game, some play like a soap-opera, and some play like an action movie--I'm the last sort.)

There are a variety of settings available that I'm considering running, but my first choice would be one of these three:

1. Victorian: The key sourcebook for this game would be the Ravenloft Accessory, "Masque of the Red Death," which sets gameplay in a horror version of the 1890's. While I'm not going to use this for horror (at least most of the time :wink: ), I do find it to be the best available book for the time period (supplemented by d20 Past). Characters would likely be tropes of the various literary heroes of that age, and encounter similar kinds of villains. For reference, think of anything from Jules Verne, H.G. Wells, Arthur Conan Doyle, H. Rider Haggard ("King Solomon's Mines"), Bram Stoker, and even heroes of the Old West. I am NOT necessarily looking to rehash the League of Extraordinary Gentlemen, but let's be honest, Alan Moore's got some good ideas. :D

2. Pulp Heroes: I may opt to use my Adventure! ruleset for this, but I am as yet unsure. There is also ample material within the d20 Modern and d20 Past books to accommodate this kind of game. Heroes of this age are the first costumed crime fighters who battle evil scientists and despots bent on world domination. Heroes like Doc Savage, the Shadow, and, in his way, Tom Strong (for another Alan Moore reference) represent this kind of hero. Remember that Batman and Superman were born in this time, and the works of E.E. Smith inspired future writers like Asimov with the "Lensman" stories.

3. Superheroes: if you haven't already, you really should look at Guardians of Order's "Stingy Gamer Edition" of Silver Age Sentinels. It costs only ten bucks, and contains lots of good stuff. While not necessarily taking place in the Silver Age, this sourcebook is a points-built, effects-based powers system. There are ample examples of superhero fiction, but the specific tone would probably resemble something like what's been done with Ultimates. There will be genuine geo-political consequence to players actions, and the players should feel like they're changing the course of history in a world where real people live.

So there you have it. My available times are probably between about 6-10pm on Mondays or Wednesdays , and what I'm going to do is look for interest first here on this board. If that exists, then I'll probably invite some people to chat and do a little "getting to know you" stuff in FG, and we can make further arrangements there.

That said, those who are interested can post here and let me know what they might like to play.

Cheers

[edit: that's Central Standard Time US]

TruthRevisited
August 29th, 2005, 13:15
Greetings..

I am interested, though the Victorian is more my cup of tea. I have always been a big fan of Ravenloft, and having read a bit of the MoRD, I think it could be quite entertaining. Apart from that, I am more interested in roleplaying than hack and slash.

The Pulp heros sounds sort of noirish to me, which is also something I am into. So, if there were more interest in this, I would be as well. In either case, I am available on both nights mentioned, and would be very much interested in playing.

You can reach me at the email listed in my profile, or aim, yahooIM, and now google Talk at truthrevisited. Hope to hear from ya soon. Cheers.

TR

Snikle
August 29th, 2005, 15:50
I would be interested in giving the victorian game a whirl, time might not be good though. I am in the mountain time zone, so 1 hour behind you. If the game started more like 8 or 9 your time I could do it. I will keep my eyes open if the time changes any.

Hermantis
August 30th, 2005, 04:20
Hey Zane! As you know, any of the three options is fine with me. I can only play Mondays for now, though.

Go victorian sorcery!