PDA

View Full Version : I read the "Want to create official FG Content" thread, but some questions.

dudeslife
August 11th, 2016, 13:58
Maybe the community can answer them or point out that I missed the relevant info posted somewhere so I don't need to bother Doug.

If I create an FG adventure using the OGL/SRD monsters, but do not publish on DMGuild, is there a royalty still paid to WotC or anything "gotcha" I should know about?

Is there a guide to submitting a FG adventure for sale in the FG store?

The reason I do not want to submit to DMGuild is because I don't want WotC taking ownership of any of my ideas used within the adventure. Does FG take ownership if I submit something to the FG store?

Thanks for any info.

damned
August 11th, 2016, 14:21
At this stage SmiteWorks are encouraging you to use the DMsGuild. I guess one reason for this is the store and maintaining the store becomes harder whereas OBS already handles many 10s of thousands of titles. Stuff published using the SRD/OGL does not inherently give the Wizards a royalty but using the DMsGuild does. I dont believe there are any published guidelines on IP ownership of your story/ideas. The architecture/framework/formatting for FG is IP of FG.

The DMs Guild says this:

Does Wizards own any unique IP that I create in my DMs Guild publications?

Wizards does not own any of the unique IP that you create in your publications. Wizards does own the IP that they contribute, plus the DMs Guild agreement will grant Wizards and other DMs Guild authors a license to use your IP.
That said, if your work merits incorporation into canon, Wizards will contact you about purchasing your IP outright.

If you sell FG formatted stuff on/thru other outlets you should contact SmiteWorks and negotiate a royalty arrangement to use their architecture/framework/formatting IP.

If your product was of sufficient quality I suspect that SmiteWorks would consider publishing it on their store. Another way would be to do a deal with a publisher that already has a deal in place with SmiteWorks.

dudeslife
August 11th, 2016, 14:48
At this stage SmiteWorks are encouraging you to use the DMsGuild. I guess one reason for this is the store and maintaining the store becomes harder whereas OBS already handles many 10s of thousands of titles. Stuff published using the SRD/OGL does not inherently give the Wizards a royalty but using the DMsGuild does. I dont believe there are any published guidelines on IP ownership of your story/ideas. The architecture/framework/formatting for FG is IP of FG.

The DMs Guild says this:

If you sell FG formatted stuff on/thru other outlets you should contact SmiteWorks and negotiate a royalty arrangement to use their architecture/framework/formatting IP.

If your product was of sufficient quality I suspect that SmiteWorks would consider publishing it on their store. Another way would be to do a deal with a publisher that already has a deal in place with SmiteWorks.

Ok thanks for clearing some of this up.

dudeslife
August 11th, 2016, 15:06
At this stage SmiteWorks are encouraging you to use the DMsGuild.

So if using the DMsGuild is the way to go, I guess the WotC cut is the same whether or not I use the MM or other Core books? So no reason to use just SRD then right?

Zacchaeus
August 11th, 2016, 15:30
I could be wrong but I don't think you can publish anything at any time anywhere that isn't in the SRD. I don't know what the DMsGuild is though.

LordEntrails
August 11th, 2016, 16:04
So if using the DMsGuild is the way to go, I guess the WotC cut is the same whether or not I use the MM or other Core books? So no reason to use just SRD then right?
Correct, when you publish onthe DMsG you give up 50% of the sales price to OBS and WotC.

DMsG allows you to not only use the SRD, but most of the WotC IP related to the Forgotten Realms or Ravenloft except artwork (including maps). This means you can use any of the classes, feats, races, monsters, etc from the SRD, PHM, MM, DMG and any WotC published 5E product or any other DMsG released product. You still have to credit the source, and you are not allowed to just make compilations of other work. See the DMsG FAQ more details: https://support.dmsguild.com/hc/en-us/categories/202531048-DMs-Guild-General-Information

Myrdin Potter
August 11th, 2016, 16:37
If you are doing a pure OGL (SRD only, not the extras the DM's Guild allows), then you could sell on the regular OBS site which has a lower cost. I have never seen anything from Smiteworks that addresses their rights to the FG file format and if a royalty is required.

Unless you are doing a settings product, in general the DM's Guild seems to be better marketing as it makes it more "official" looking.

damned
August 12th, 2016, 01:12
If you are doing a pure OGL (SRD only, not the extras the DM's Guild allows), then you could sell on the regular OBS site which has a lower cost. I have never seen anything from Smiteworks that addresses their rights to the FG file format and if a royalty is required.

Unless you are doing a settings product, in general the DM's Guild seems to be better marketing as it makes it more "official" looking.

I havent seen anything official written on paper but I know that kickstarters that included FG products paid royalties and their IP is their IP regardless of whether they say anything about it. I dont think its something that Smiteworks are scouring the web looking for breaches but contacting them is the right way to go.

The cut on OBS is 30-35% and on DMsG its 50% but you get access to far more stuff.

Nickademus
August 12th, 2016, 02:58
Just an educated guess, but I think the FG format is open and free, but to say the name 'Fantasy Grounds' requires the royalty. Basically, the companies/people paying royalties are doing so in order to convey to the buyer what the format is used for.

Nickademus
August 12th, 2016, 02:59
I could be wrong but I don't think you can publish anything at any time anywhere that isn't in the SRD. I don't know what the DMsGuild is though.

You're getting behind the times. :P

Zacchaeus
August 12th, 2016, 12:15
You're getting behind the times. :P

So it would seem. :)