PDA

View Full Version : Question: How to award individual exp award as a DM

averse
August 11th, 2016, 05:01
Hello,

As part of the style of running a campaign for my group, I plan on giving XP awards to reward players/characters for ingenuity, good role-playering, creative thinking, heroic feats, successfully accomplishing a trial, etc... For example, a character puts his life in danger to save another vulnerable character and it improves the storyline of the campaign, so I tell him he just earned an instant 25 XP for his action (similar to how inspiration dice can shape player behaviors).

I am having difficulties finding a way to award the XP aside from having the character open his character sheet and manually update his current experience field. I tried making encounters that were valued different XP values (5, 10, 25, 100) and then dragging and dropping those encounter links (the red dragon head) onto the character sheet, but that didn't work. I can drop it into the XP tab of the party sheet and award it, but that disperses the exp to the entire party, which does not meet my need either.

Does anyone have an idea of how I might make "XP" items that can be dropped/sent to individual characters to update their exp accordingly?

Thanks for your consideration in advance!

JohnD
August 11th, 2016, 06:33
Well a bit clumsy but you could remove everyone from the party sheet and then award xp. Personally I'd just ad it manually or after the session or just have the player update their xp total after you tell them how much to add.

damned
August 11th, 2016, 07:31
Welcome averse. I dont believe there is currently an easier way to do this. Giving your player responsibility is the easiest way right now.

averse
August 11th, 2016, 09:01
Thanks for the quick response, even though it is not what I was hoping I'd hear :)

Hopefully FG considers this addition in the future as it seems like it would be a rather easy programming task and being able to drag and drop individual exp on the fly as a DM would be beneficial (I think, at least) to keeping the flow of the game going and not disrupt the story by making players pull up their own sheets and manually enter the info. Anything that makes the administration of the game easier to manage so the group can "stay in the moment" of the adventure is a good thing!

Zacchaeus
August 11th, 2016, 09:12
Add your request to the wish list here (https://fg2app.idea.informer.com/)

averse
August 11th, 2016, 09:35
Wow, that's cool FG actively solicits feedback in such an open way!

EDIT: figured out my problem submitting lol.

drakonin
August 11th, 2016, 14:58
Adding EXP in a parcel is what I do, I have premade amounts from 100 to 5000 and then I share it with correct player by dragging it to the right portrait in the top left.

JohnD
August 11th, 2016, 15:03
Adding EXP in a parcel is what I do, I have premade amounts from 100 to 5000 and then I share it with correct player by dragging it to the right portrait in the top left.

Interesting... never tried that. Learn something new every day.

I guess this would populate a message in the chat window?

drakonin
August 11th, 2016, 15:07
Interesting... never tried that. Learn something new every day.

I guess this would populate a message in the chat window?

Anything you drag to a single portrait is like whispering that to them, gives them a pop up exactly like you see. Works with almost anything to include monsters, pictures, items, story panels, maps etc.

LordEntrails
August 11th, 2016, 16:12
Averse said he tried dragging to the portrait in his original post. So, drakonin how just are you doing this? Averse, how did you try it? Might it be ruleset dependent?

drakonin
August 11th, 2016, 16:49
Averse said he tried dragging to the portrait in his original post. So, drakonin how just are you doing this? Averse, how did you try it? Might it be ruleset dependent?

5th edition and I should have clarified. It gives the pop up and then the player can adjust his EXP accordingly, giving XP to just a single party member is rare enough this was never an issue.

Andraax
August 11th, 2016, 17:19
I type something like "/die 500" into the chat window, then drag and drop the 500 onto their experience points field.

Trenloe
August 11th, 2016, 19:05
And can also type 500 (or whatever) into the Modifier box (bottom left) and drag to the XP field. There are a few ways for the GM or the player to add the XP value without having to do the maths addition themselves.

And, as drakonin mentions, the GM can drag the XP value from an encounter or quest to the PC portrait. This will appear in their chat window with an "XP" label and the number value, which the player (or the GM) can then drag to the XP field in the character sheet and it will be added to the current value.

But, yeah, there is currently no way to directly apply XP from an encounter or quest to a single PC through the party sheet.

Trenloe
August 12th, 2016, 00:14
UPDATE: Full release with additional functionality here: https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?33599-Individual-PC-XP-assignment-extension-for-d20-based-rulesets

But, yeah, there is currently no way to directly apply XP from an encounter or quest to a single PC through the party sheet.
Until now...

I quickly threw this extension together (download link at the bottom of this post).

Download the attached "Individual PC XP Drag.ext" file and copy it to your <Fg App Data>\extensions directory.
Start/restart FG (if it's already running) and on the load campaign screen of a 5E campaign enabled the "Individual PC XP Drag" extension.
When you load up FG it won't look any different, except you can drag/drop numbers to an individual PC's XP field in the party sheet - refer to the screenshot below.

Basically you can drag a number from anywhere and drop it on the PC's XP field in the party sheet, this can come from a XP field in an encounter (#1) or quest (#2) which can be in the party sheet or not, from a /die xxx chat entry number, from a modifier box number, etc..

The code gets the number dropped and adds it to the current XP total in the PC database, which is linked to the number shown in this field. So the XP control grabs the data, sends it to the main PC database which is then reflected back to the party sheet (as well as the XP field in the main character sheet), which is the same way that the XP "Award" process operates.

drakonin
August 12th, 2016, 00:51
Until now...

I quickly threw this extension together (download link at the bottom of this post).

Download the attached "Individual PC XP Drag.ext" file and copy it to your <Fg App Data>\extensions directory.
Start/restart FG (if it's already running) and on the load campaign screen of a 5E campaign enabled the "Individual PC XP Drag" extension.
When you load up FG it won't look any different, except you can drag/drop numbers to an individual PC's XP field in the party sheet - refer to the screenshot below.

Basically you can drag a number from anywhere and drop it on the PC's XP field in the party sheet, this can come from a XP field in an encounter (#1) or quest (#2) which can be in the party sheet or not, from a /die xxx chat entry number, from a modifier box number, etc..

The code gets the number dropped and adds it to the current XP total in the PC database, which is linked to the number shown in this field. So the XP control grabs the data, sends it to the main PC database which is then reflected back to the party sheet (as well as the XP field in the main character sheet), which is the same way that the XP "Award" process operates.

Woah...

Nylanfs
August 12th, 2016, 02:08

JohnD
August 12th, 2016, 02:41
Until now...

https://thumbs.newschoolers.com/index.php?src=http%3A%2F%2Fs2.quickmeme.com%2Fimg% 2Fd0%2Fd0de92870895f69cf06b70ec15dd6d3d89b0fef6214 4a2c0743102d8e11755bb.jpg&size=400x1000

Any chance there could be an accompanying whisper to the player in question to the effect that they've received XP (and how much)? Perhaps including verbiage that you've put in the Party Sheet to describe the award?

Edit: And I suppose could it be based off of CoreRPG so that it would function in other rulesets (i.e. C&C)?

Andraax
August 12th, 2016, 05:15
Deleted post.

Trenloe
August 12th, 2016, 05:23
Full release with additional functionality here: https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?33599-Individual-PC-XP-assignment-extension-for-d20-based-rulesets

JohnD
August 12th, 2016, 05:31
Nice.

averse
August 12th, 2016, 05:32
I really appreciate all the responses here. FG community really is something special I can tell already! the MOD and /die ### ideas are very close to what I wanted.

I dont know enough to understand how to add XP into a parcel, as all I am seeing are item and currency options. The concept feels almost exactly what I am looking for if I can figure out better what you are saying, hehe.

I can't wait to try the extension! I am downloading it now.

Trenloe
August 12th, 2016, 05:40
I dont know enough to understand how to add XP into a parcel, as all I am seeing are item and currency options. The concept feels almost exactly what I am looking for if I can figure out better what you are saying, hehe.
We're referring to Encounters or Quests that have XP entries, not treasure parcels.

See info here: https://www.fantasygrounds.com/wiki/index.php/5E_Party_Sheet#XP_Tab

I can't wait to try the extension! I am downloading it now.
Make sure you get the complete one from here: https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?33599-Individual-PC-XP-assignment-extension-for-d20-based-rulesets

Trenloe
August 12th, 2016, 05:43
Any chance there could be an accompanying whisper to the player in question to the effect that they've received XP (and how much)? Perhaps including verbiage that you've put in the Party Sheet to describe the award?
Done in full release linked below.

Edit: And I suppose could it be based off of CoreRPG so that it would function in other rulesets (i.e. C&C)?
I've specifically tagged the update extension for rulesets where XP is assigned in the party sheet. Also done a quick test of each. C&C is included in this.

Full release with this functionality here: https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?33599-Individual-PC-XP-assignment-extension-for-d20-based-rulesets

averse
August 12th, 2016, 07:55

So after installing your extension (not sure if it was the full release or first one), I used it with my initial idea and it works beautifully! I am attaching a screen shot that shows how I used your extension.

1. Open NPC window
2. Click Encounters button in NPC window and create a new encounter called "100 XP AWARD" (window to right shows encounter is blank except 100 in XP field).
3. Drag-N-Drop Dragon head for "100 XP AWARD" to party sheet
4. Drag number in XP field of award to desired character's XP number field.
Perfect!

Now I have a series of 5, 25, 50, 100, 250, 500, etc... experience encounters (hotkeys effectively) that I can quickly use to issue bonus experience as desired during the campaign.

Szabtom
August 12th, 2016, 22:59
Very nice, thanks, Trenloe!

Ghost Matter
August 15th, 2016, 14:19
The extension looks very nice.

Another eventual workaround without an extension would be number fields with mathemical functions. Example: Los Tiburon has 2349 XP, GM tells them, "you get 419 bonus XP for killing the dragon alone" then Los Tiburon's player just types +419 in the field and they're done!

Trenloe
August 15th, 2016, 14:36
Another eventual workaround without an extension would be number fields with mathemical functions. Example: Los Tiburon has 2349 XP, GM tells them, "you get 419 bonus XP for killing the dragon alone" then Los Tiburon's player just types +419 in the field and they're done!
This is not how FG number fields work - i.e. typing mathematical operations into a number field. However, the process can be easily accomplished now with the drag/drop method from the chat window or modifier widget to the character sheet XP field described earlier in this thread.

Ghost Matter
August 15th, 2016, 14:38
This is not how FG number fields work - i.e. typing mathematical operations into a number field. However, the process can be easily accomplished now with the drag/drop method from the chat window or modifier widget described earlier in this thread.

I miswrote. It should be "would be if number fields eventually support mathemical functions"