PDA

View Full Version : Desktop host, laptop player in same house not connecting

Jyohe1313
August 9th, 2016, 17:52
Ok so funny enough I have 6 players and all of them can connect except my wife who has a dell laptop in the same house. We have tried using the internal and external addresses and niether work and we have tried Hamachi and up until recently that worked also. I just cannot seem to figure out why hers of all of the computers from Canada to Washington State to Australia can connect but my wife 30 feet away cannot. Please help us Obi-wan you are our only hope.

Trenloe
August 9th, 2016, 17:56
If you're on the same network you should just be able to use the internal IP address. Make sure the internal IP address you're using is actually the correct one (if you have multiple network cards, VPNs, etc. FG can report the wrong one) and make sure that the laptop can ping that IP address: https://www.wikihow.com/Ping-an-IP-Address

kalnaren
August 9th, 2016, 21:03
Also if the laptop is connected wireless make sure your router is set-up to allow crosstalk between the wireless and LAN networks. Many routers have a "guest" network feature that disallows anything on the wireless form accessing anything with an internal IP address.

If you're using a newer laptop with a new router, also make sure the laptop isn't using an IPv6 address. I think FG has issues with those.

damned
August 10th, 2016, 00:00
FG wont bind/listen on IPv6.
Most routers wont allow a connection to go out and then connect back to something inside - they see this as address spoofing and block it.
Expanding on what Trenloe said:

When connecting across the Internet use the Alias or External IP Address
When connecting using Hamachi use the GMs Hamachi IP which is not reported by FG
When connecting across a LAN use the Internal IP Address
When connecting on the GMs computer use the keyword localhost

Jyohe1313
August 10th, 2016, 05:12
Thanks for all the advice, I have disabled IPv6, and did the ping test both on the wikihow site and on the external address funny enough when pinging the external it pinged correctly. Still trying to figure this out.

Trenloe
August 10th, 2016, 05:15
You need to try to ping the internal IP address of the GM machine to see if it can be reached from the laptop. The link I provided was to show you how to use ping, not to ask you to ping wikihow. Use: ping <ip address of GM PC>

Change <ip address of GM PC> to the internal IP address of the GM PC running FG. Something like ping 192.168.0.2, or whatever your internal IP address is.

Jyohe1313
August 10th, 2016, 05:22
When pinging the internal address it says destination host is unreachable.

Trenloe
August 10th, 2016, 05:24
When pinging the internal address it says destination host is unreachable.
Sounds like you're on different networks then. Try: tracert <ip address of GM PC> and report the results here.

Jyohe1313
August 10th, 2016, 05:30
1 11ms 4ms 2ms c-##-###-##-###.hsd1.ct.comcast.net

Trace Complete

Trenloe
August 10th, 2016, 05:33
1 11ms 4ms 2ms c-##-###-##-###.hsd1.ct.comcast.net

Trace Complete
OK, it looks like that PC is connected directly to the internet. This sounds like what kalnaren mentioned above - that the laptop uses a guest connection that directly goes to the internet and doesn't connect to the internal network.

If you have access to your WiFi router (assuming the laptop is connecting by WiFi) see if there is another WiFi connection that can be used that isn't set as guest or something similar.

damned
August 10th, 2016, 08:16
Hi Jyohe1313 its generally not the best idea to put your computer in the DZ or in DMZ mode as it does expose it to far more dangers from hacking.
If you want some help you can send me a PM.

kalnaren
August 10th, 2016, 14:41
The threat from hacking is overrated, especially if your computer is fully patched. There's other security concerns with it, but IMO hacking isn't one of them. Still best to have it behind a NAT.

Jyohe1313, sorry a few more questions (yay troubleshooting!)

1. what kind of router are you using? Is it a combination modem/router? Right now I'm suspecting it's a combination modem/router with an isolated wireless network.

2. When you run "ipconfig" on the laptop, is the IP address it gives you internal or external? (and internal address will usually start with 192.168; it should be very similar to the one your desktop has. An external address will look widely different).

Another thing I'd try -just for troubleshooting- is plug the laptop into the network via a network cable and try and connect.