PDA

View Full Version : Legendary resistance/saves and open rolls

eerongal
August 9th, 2016, 17:36
Hi!

So my group of friends and I have been using fantasy grounds for a couple of years now, and one thing that has always kinda bugged me was legendary resistance, i also had a question about saves. I was wondering if maybe i was doing something wrong, or if there was a better way to handle it.

With legendary resistance: I use open/public rolls when i play, because it makes it easier for me if someone rolls an attack roll, and it lets them know it hits, or if they need to roll damage after a save without a half damage aspect. This causes issues with legendary resistance, however. The player will see the save roll a "fail" and then i have to say "no, it didn't fail, it succeeded" whenever i want to use a legendary resistance. The problem with this is the fact that it pretty openly tells my players when the creature uses legendary resistance, which sometimes is news to them, or lets them count how many it has used, and bank on them being out of it at a certain point. Is there a way to apply this and/or keep only certain rolls like this hidden? I would prefer not to have ALL rolls hidden, because of how much easier it makes it to run the game as a whole.

Then my question about saves relates to legendary resistance (and other such abilities). Is there a way to turn a save failure into a success, without having the person reroll the ability? This is important for things like half/no damage and ability applications. Things like the fighter's indomitable and legendary resistance i've had to apply manually when it turns a save from a failure into a success, which slows things down. I'm hoping that maybe there's a feature or something with FG that i was unaware of, since it seems like i'm almost always finding new features and different ways to do things anyways.

Thanks in advance!

LordEntrails
August 9th, 2016, 17:55
Welcome to the forums :)

For part one, you can have them roll in the dice tower. Then they won't see the results.

Part two, maybe. I think I've see thing about conditions or ctrl or shift having some effect like that, but obviously I'm not sure. We'll have to see what others say when the pop in :)

Zacchaeus
August 9th, 2016, 19:06
There isn't a way to automate either of your desired things. As Lord Entrails says you can get the players to make rolls into the dice tower when needed for part one.

For part two you'll need to do things manually. Use the damage modifier box (the little icon top right with the +/- on it) to force half damage when needed. If you right click over a damage result (in the chat window) you can get a context window to do things like double or halve or negate the damage and then drag/drop to the target to apply it.

eerongal
August 9th, 2016, 19:11
That's unfortunate, but thanks for the answers! That's kinda what I had figured based on my searching through the program and online.

I guess this leads me to one more question, though, how do you roll through the dice tower when the user is clicking the "save" buttons from their character sheet and targeting multiple things? Do they just need to drag it on to the dice tower?

Zacchaeus
August 9th, 2016, 19:52
Yes, indeed that is what they do.