PDA

View Full Version : Ruleset for Thieve's World?

Shadowspawn
August 29th, 2005, 00:49
Does anyone know if FG will support Green Ronin's Thieve's World (just released Aug, 2005)? It's a d20 game, but the spell system is significantly different.

I haven't purchased FG yet, and my decision to do so depends on whether it's tweakable to incorporate a new ability (Luck) and other sigificant rules modifications.

Am also curious if anyone out there is interested.

Snikle
August 29th, 2005, 02:03
It is an extremely flexible system, I am sure it could be tweaked to accomidate anything different. That said, something completely different would take some skill in XML I think. I am not familiar with the system so I could not comment on it, but I know a friend and I are planning on using FG and making a d20 Modern ruleset, so I think it could be tweaked to accomidate just about anything.

Snikle
August 29th, 2005, 04:46
Course, since I am guessing that system is not overed by the OGL, you would not be able to sell that ruleset. :wink:

Crusader
August 29th, 2005, 07:03
It is an extremely flexible system, I am sure it could be tweaked to accomidate anything different. That said, something completely different would take some skill in XML I think. I am not familiar with the system so I could not comment on it, but I know a friend and I are planning on using FG and making a d20 Modern ruleset, so I think it could be tweaked to accomidate just about anything.

I for one am able to confirm that it is completely flexible. I've made a ruleset that isn't even related to d20, character sheets, NPC-sheets, completely new reference material, beastiary, combat tracker - I've changed it all. Of course it takes time, and you have to study the existing files to learn how the XML-structure of FG works, and you will need to create new character sheet images and so on. But everything is most assuredly possible. :)

Shadowspawn
August 30th, 2005, 01:56

I for one am able to confirm that it is completely flexible. I've made a ruleset that isn't even related to d20, character sheets, NPC-sheets, completely new reference material, beastiary, combat tracker - I've changed it all. Of course it takes time, and you have to study the existing files to learn how the XML-structure of FG works, and you will need to create new character sheet images and so on. But everything is most assuredly possible. :)

:?: The Thieve's World rules for Sorcery and spell acquisition are sigificantly different, although the spell structure is essentially the same. If I buy FG, I want to be able to modify it fairly smoothly, without much hassle, and yet I have no programming experience. Is it just a matter of changing a few fields and datasets, or are we talking about tinkering with code here?

Crusader
August 30th, 2005, 05:35
The fields on the character sheet is defined in XML, but it's not that hard to understand the code. The first time you look at it, it might look overwhelming, but It's all very logical in the end.

Art Wendorf
October 21st, 2005, 17:59
I'd also be interested in this.

Unfortunately, my time, currently, is so limited that I haven't really had the time to even use FG much. :cry:

Crusader
October 21st, 2005, 18:32
Unfortunately, my time, currently, is so limited that I haven't really had the time to even use FG much. :cry:

Yeah, I know what that feels like.

EduardoPereira
September 28th, 2009, 00:24
Hi Shadowspaw,

Did you have found the ruleset to thieve's World?

tnks,

:?: The Thieve's World rules for Sorcery and spell acquisition are sigificantly different, although the spell structure is essentially the same. If I buy FG, I want to be able to modify it fairly smoothly, without much hassle, and yet I have no programming experience. Is it just a matter of changing a few fields and datasets, or are we talking about tinkering with code here?

nezzir
September 28th, 2009, 03:19
Love Thieve's World.

I've written 3 rulesets now and I have no programming experience. I reverse engineered what was already there. It took some time and a lot of reading on the forums here, but I pulled it off (again and again).

The community here is top notch and as long as you're putting forth an effort people don't mind helping by answering questions or giving advice.

So, if you have the time, yeah - it can be done.