PDA

View Full Version : Abiltiy Score Increases from Magical Items

twseifert
August 8th, 2016, 14:50
How do you all reflect the "temporary" nature of Ability Score Increases from Magical Items such as a Gauntlets of Ogre Power, A Belt of Dwarven Kind, or a Headband of Intellect? I'm looking for a good way to reflect the temporary nature of my Character's enhanced ability score when the item is equipped, so that Attack roles etc... are updated and reflect properly the "New" score, while also keeping track of what the character's actual base ability score really is, in case they loose or otherwise get rid of the item.

sturtus
August 8th, 2016, 15:14
Add a power to the actions tab for the magical item, then add a new action for the power. The new action should be an effect, and could be written as, if it were +1 STR belt:

Kickass Belt; STR: 1;[SELF]

As for setting the ability to an actual number, for items like Gauntlets of Ogre Power which would make your STR 19 while wearing, simply make the effect the difference between the character's actual STR and 19, so if your puny gnome has a 7 STR normally, then puts on the gauntlets, set the effect to:

Gauntlets of Ogre Power; STR: 12;[SELF]

Then apply the effect to the character.

twseifert
August 8th, 2016, 15:51
I think I got this to work right, at least in my test scenario as the DM on my own client. Will have to try it out in our campaign as a player, or try to walk the DM threw it. Only down side is that is doesn't update the character's inventory weight capacity, Which I think can be doen if FG had an option to add a temporary increase to an Ability Score or set a Temporary Score, and use that value instead.

Doug is this even possible?

BlueDrake
August 8th, 2016, 16:44
If it's a relatively permanent effect, such as the Gauntlets of Ogre Power, I have my players adjust the character sheet to reflect the "enhanced" stats and make a note of the original Str (or respective stat) in the notes section.

For resistances and such I handle it with a 'permanent' effect as indicated by Sturtus above.

LordEntrails
August 8th, 2016, 17:48
Effects only affect the Combat Tracker, they don't go back to the character sheet and impact calculations made there. Therefore when you add an effect to increase strength it does not affect encumbrance.

Given that my players don't take on and off their magic items on a regular basis, I just have them change the ability score and make a note of what their original/default is.

Trenloe
August 8th, 2016, 18:05
Which I think can be doen if FG had an option to add a temporary increase to an Ability Score or set a Temporary Score, and use that value instead.
You used to be able to use CTRL+Mousewheel to apply a temporary modifier to the ability (like you can with the saves) but this seems to have been removed from the 5E ruleset at some point. I'm not sure if there was a technical reason for doing this.

sturtus
August 8th, 2016, 18:56
Ability score increases are so complicated. Perhaps the devs can build in options for ability score effects to affect everything they do, and the list of items on the character sheet that effects do not affect isn't too long, but I'm guessing a few of them they don't automate for simplicity's sake:

STR: encumbrance in inventory
CON: max HP
INT: # prepared spells
WIS: # prepared spells
CHA: # prepared spells

Any others?

twseifert
August 8th, 2016, 21:55
I believe that ability is still there (modifier option in lower left corner), but it only affects the next roll....

twseifert
August 8th, 2016, 21:56
I think I got this to work right, at least in my test scenario as the DM on my own client. Will have to try it out in our campaign as a player, or try to walk the DM threw it. Only down side is that is doesn't update the character's inventory weight capacity, Which I think can be doen if FG had an option to add a temporary increase to an Ability Score or set a Temporary Score, and use that value instead.

Doug is this even possible?

If it's a relatively permanent effect, such as the Gauntlets of Ogre Power, I have my players adjust the character sheet to reflect the "enhanced" stats and make a note of the original Str (or respective stat) in the notes section.

For resistances and such I handle it with a 'permanent' effect as indicated by Sturtus above.

That is what I'm doing right now, and was jsut curious as to what others do, of if anyone has come up with a better way to do this, and tie it to the magic item...