PDA

View Full Version : Area of Effect Spells - Beginning of Turn Save

Kontroar
August 8th, 2016, 13:22
Hello,

I recently had a gaming session where two players each cast an Area of Effect spell that requires creatures to save at the beginning of their turn. These spells are persistant via Concentration. I've been trying to find some information if there is a way to setup Fantasy Grounds to resolve this as the turn marker moves down the Combat Tracker.

Alternately, I considered simply making an effect that the player could apply. This effect would allow me to quickly resolve the save and apply the results.

Any suggestions to this would be most welcome.

PS - The two spells I'm specifically dealing with at the moment are Stinking Cloud and Spirit Guardians.

giveup
August 8th, 2016, 16:06
I don't believe it can be done. What has worked for me with moonbeam, is to have the player draw the AOE and I make it her responsibility to roll the save and damage when appropriate. The spells should already add the appropriate save and damage to the character sheet. Figure I'll track the concentration for them and make it there job to handle the ongoing damage. If they forget... Oh well. �� But honestly after a few sessions the players have figured out to whatch the tracker and be ready to drop the save and damage dice.

LordEntrails
August 8th, 2016, 17:50
No way that I know how to do this either. We do it basically the same way giveup does.

drakonin
August 8th, 2016, 18:29
I use DMGO: 1d4-4 with name of spell as a reminder to roll start of monsters turn save vs whatever effect. You might be able to do DMGO: 0 but I haven't tried.

Kontroar
August 8th, 2016, 22:11
Thank you for the responses. :)

sturtus
August 9th, 2016, 15:35
This was an integral part of 4e mechanics, but 5e simply didn't carry over the ongoing effects with a save at the end of a character's turn.

I'd recommend what drakonin said. Here's how I'd format it:

AoE Spell Name; Make a saving throw beginning of your turn or take 1d4 dmg;

Then in settings be sure to check on "display effects in chat" or whatever it's called. When the player's turn pokes up, chat will remind you about the save.

Zacchaeus
August 9th, 2016, 19:09
Also add this to the wish list if it isn't already there if this is something that you'd like to see implemented.