PDA

View Full Version : Improved critical effect/trait

Myrdin Potter
August 7th, 2016, 15:57
I am trying to create a monster for 5e (from a module, but I will change the name as to not have to paste the OGL)

The trait is:

Super Wings

The super falcon scores a critical hit with its wing smack attack on a 19 or 20

It has two melee attacks, wing smack and talons.

How do I create this? I found an old thread, but it was for all melee attacks and in this case it is for 1/2.

LordEntrails
August 7th, 2016, 21:21
I would suggest changing more than just the name if you don't want to include the OGL. Though adding it is really easy.

Anyway, drag your "source" monster to your NPC list, then open the monster from NPC list and edit it. When you add or modify abilities, use language as similar as possible to official monsters so that FG can parse the effects and attacks correctly when added to the CT. Name of the effect/action isn't important, but the words used around the effects and such are.

For your Super Wings, look up something with imporved critical or such, not sure there is something yet, but if so it might have language that automates the effect.

Trenloe
August 7th, 2016, 22:18
I'd recommend if you're doing anything for 5E that you intend to distribute that you include the OGL, otherwise you will be very limited on what you can include - and won't even be able to call it D&D 5e. Just put it in the module as a single OGL story entry, you'll only have to do it once.

If your module is purely for your own private use then no need for the OGL etc..

Zacchaeus
August 7th, 2016, 22:27
I don't know of any existing NPC that does extended critical so I'm not sure that any wording would pick that part up, but put it in as a trait and see what happens. For the melee attacks look at a. Existing NPC that has a melee attack and use the exact same wording except substitute the name with wing smack or whatever and change the damage dice and type as appropriate. Include a multi attack trait specifying what number of attacks and type the creature has. Just browse existing NPCs till you find something similar.

Myrdin Potter
August 7th, 2016, 22:44
I googled a bunch before asking the question here. You set the critical range for player characters via the little magnifying glass, but that does not exist for NPC.

There was wording for all melee attacks in the forum thread I found but not for a specific attack.

I seem to remember that improved critical was a fighter feat or class feature or something for 4e, I will look around some more, but I have not seen improved critical in recent 5e effect discussions.

Myrdin Potter
August 7th, 2016, 22:51
I'd recommend if you're doing anything for 5E that you intend to distribute that you include the OGL, otherwise you will be very limited on what you can include - and won't even be able to call it D&D 5e. Just put it in the module as a single OGL story entry, you'll only have to do it once.

If your module is purely for your own private use then no need for the OGL etc..

If the publisher says yes, then, of course for the module I would include the OGL. I already have it in nkw as I am trying to convert the module over as close as possible as a learning exercise.

For this ability, you cannot copyright the improved critical as an ability but I am sure you could copyright a monster name if not a "public" monster. I just meant I was not copy and pasting the actual ability here as I would have to paste a lot more.

I am just focusing on trying to figure out how to automatically implement the ability.

I have almost 40 pages of module, maps and monsters done. The interface is a little bit of a bear but the actual ability of the program to parse properly written 5e abilities is really impressive. Par5e is next in my list to learn.

Zacchaeus
August 7th, 2016, 23:14
I googled a bunch before asking the question here. You set the critical range for player characters via the little magnifying glass, but that does not exist for NPC.

There was wording for all melee attacks in the forum thread I found but not for a specific attack.

I seem to remember that improved critical was a fighter feat or class feature or something for 4e, I will look around some more, but I have not seen improved critical in recent 5e effect discussions.

The fighter class has an ability to improve critical range but as you say you can't add that in the same way to an NPC, so it comes down to whether the parser will pick up on a wording of something like what you posted above.
i'm not sure what you mean about the attacks. Attacks are only ever going to be melee attacks or ranged attacks. If it's melee then it does not matter if it's a sword, hammer, wing, claw, talon or a fence post; the wording is exactly the same. The only variables will be the name given to the attack, the amount of damage done and the damage type. So for your wing it will be (for example) 'melee weapon attack: + x to hit, range 5 ft., one target. Hit: 1dx bludgeoning damage

Myrdin Potter
August 7th, 2016, 23:22
The difference is that only one of the two different melee attacks is subject to the improved critical. The wording I found (for a trait) turned it on for all attacks. In this case, wing smack gets an improved critical but deadly stare does not. I need wording that gives only the wing smack the improved critical.

Zacchaeus
August 8th, 2016, 00:11
Ah, ok. That I don't think you can achieve. It's all or nothing if it's possible at all.

drakonin
August 8th, 2016, 19:29
The difference is that only one of the two different melee attacks is subject to the improved critical. The wording I found (for a trait) turned it on for all attacks. In this case, wing smack gets an improved critical but deadly stare does not. I need wording that gives only the wing smack the improved critical.

Looks like the easiest thing to do is when it rolls a 19 hold shift when you roll the dmg it will crit the dmg.