PDA

View Full Version : PFS at FG CON 9 - Oct 14th - 16th

cmdisc
August 7th, 2016, 02:39
As many of you know, our next Virtual Convention is quickly approaching. The weekend of October 14th to 16th has been deemed the time for us to let our inner gaming fanatics out and play as many or as few sessions as Real Life allows us. :)

I'm putting a call out to any and all folks who have GMed PFS (or who want to try GMing) to get an idea of who is interested and available in running 1 or more sessions during the upcoming FG CON. If you are looking to run something, post your interest here along with how many sessions you think you might be able to commit to. In order for us to have Paizo support (free PDFs for the GMs, GM and Player Boons, and table roll-offs), we need to secure a minimum of 15 tables. The goal is always to overshoot this number to account for tables that end up not running for this or that reason.

During past FG CONs, Player interest in PFS games has varied. We had new players looking for low subtier games as well as veterans looking for chances to play their high level characters. So we can discuss the options of either having GMs run whatever they want or see about coordinating a spread of subtiers (or even a running theme for the CON). Any thoughts on this are welcome.

Once we get an idea of who we have and how many sessions are possible, we can go from there to hammer out the details.

As a reminder, the Time Slots used in past CONs (and that I think we should stick with) have been:

Slot #1. UTC 0: 07:00 to 12:00
Slot #2. UTC 0: 13:00 to 18:00
Slot #3. UTC 0: 19:00 – 00:00 (next day)
Slot #4. UTC 0: 01:00 to 06:00

PFS GMs - Sessions
cmdisc - 2 - #6-21 Tapestry's Toil (5-9) and Season 3 Special: Blood Under Absalom (1-11) [1 of 5]
Blackfoot - 2 - #5-15 Destiny of the Sands Part II (1-5) and Season 3 Special: Blood Under Absalom (1-11) [2 of 5] (and/or #5-12 Part I?)
Farnaby - 3 - #8-01 Portent's Peril (1-5) and #8-02 Ward Asunder (3-7) and #8-03 Captives of Toil (5-9)
JWMK - 1 - ?
d1wright - 3 - ???
xazil - 2 - ??
keven_simmons - 1 - ?
Jay - 1 - ?

Blackfoot
August 7th, 2016, 20:02
I don't want to run the minimum 15 games.. I want to run 30 or 50 games.

What do we need to step this whole thing up a level? We have 12 potential time slots during which we can run as many games as we have GMs and players. In the past, we've lost players because there weren't enough games or enough new/different games for them to play in. I'm considering not just reaching out to the former GMs but also to the new/current players and asking them to step up and run a session. If EVERYONE involved in PFS ran 1 session.. we could easily have 48 sessions... and everyone would have games the opportunity to play in lots of different games.

I think we need to look at which scenarios folks are signing up to run as well. In the past we've taken anything anyone wanted to run.. and offered very little in the way of suggestions as to what we'd like them to run. Some folks have specific things in mind which is great.. but others do not and don't really care which scenario they run (to some extent). We can probably do some steering there and improve the mix of games/tiers/subtiers that are offered.

I would like to offer games in every subtier and specifically lead off the Con with a few starter games early on Friday and Saturday to get new people started and ready for more by later in the Con. I've done something like that myself in the past and it has proved very successful.

Blackfoot
August 7th, 2016, 20:09
We are also talking about trying to run the Season 3 Multitable which ties into all the Season 3 sessions we've been running this year. Hopefully we can get that off the ground (it is very likely that we can).

Story arcs have been very successful in the past although running a whole arc takes a pretty significant GMing commitment.. perhaps we could coordinate 2 GMs to run different parts of the same arc... for example.. I could run the 1st 2 parts of Season 5's Destiny of the Sands and Lord Kavos could run part 3... (I'm not sure this could/would actually happen.. but it's an example).

There's a lot we can do by coordinating scenarios. It will be great if we can offer a variety of subtiers at the same time so folks have lots of options as to what to play.

Blackfoot
August 7th, 2016, 20:34
One other thing, GMs should have no concern about running games in the time slots that best suit THEM. Xazil & Lord Kavos have run Aussie friendly games with great success. It's more about the games offered than the time frame.. the players really want to play and are willing to treat this as a 'real con' where sleep is optional. :)
Slots 3 & 4 'are' generally the most popular.. at least as far as GMs go but I almost always have my Slot 2 tables completely full as are Xazil's Slot 1 games.. so don't sweat that piece.

Talyn
August 7th, 2016, 21:35
Slot 1 is outta the question for me, being in US East. Slot 2 would certainly be... doable, though at a glance it seems rather inconvenient to run through both breakfast and lunch. That's a (virtual) table full of players with hunger headaches waiting to happen. LOL Wouldn't surprise me if those sessions run longer so people can AFK to grab coffee, food, whatever.

Blackfoot
August 7th, 2016, 22:00
Running longer is 'out' during the con as both players and GMs have other games to get to afterward. Does it happen? Yes, it has.. but generally there aren't any breaks during Con games. There is an hour slotted between each session for folks to grab food, visit the Necessary, kiss the girlfriend, or whatever needs doin. Generally speaking since con games are on this tight schedule there's a lot more drive to complete them in a timely fashion than a normal game.

cmdisc
August 7th, 2016, 23:12
Slot 1 is outta the question for me, being in US East. Slot 2 would certainly be... doable, though at a glance it seems rather inconvenient to run through both breakfast and lunch. That's a (virtual) table full of players with hunger headaches waiting to happen. LOL Wouldn't surprise me if those sessions run longer so people can AFK to grab coffee, food, whatever.

These Slot times have worked just fine in the past. Sessions usually include a small break in the middle to allow for bio/smoke/drink/snack breaks. That way folks aren't having too much trouble during a game.

FG CON involves people all over the world from various time zones. So what might work for someone might not be too convenient for someone else. But then, that's why there are 4 different slots for folks to choose from. During a Convention, people generally dispense with any real sleep (or comfort for that matter) to indulge their inner gaming nerd. :)

Talyn
August 7th, 2016, 23:28
During a Convention, people generally dispense with any real sleep (or comfort for that matter) to indulge their inner gaming nerd. :)

I know. On that note, though, the (video) Gaming Industry is just now (barely) starting to get on board with having on mind on their customer's and employee's health so hopefully the much smaller RPG Industry follows suit someday.

Farnaby
August 8th, 2016, 02:55
I'll run a game each day in slot #1 if that's okay with you.

Blackfoot
August 8th, 2016, 03:20
I'll run a game each day in slot #1 if that's okay with you.Sounds great. :)

Blackfoot
August 8th, 2016, 03:21
Are you including Friday in that?

cmdisc
August 8th, 2016, 03:47
Are you including Friday in that?

Am I remembering correctly that the CON starts on Friday with Slot #2? So there are actually only 11 Slots across the entire weekend; 3 on Friday and 4 on Saturday and Sunday.

So Farnaby would be offering 2 sessions.

Farnaby, what do you think about helping with one of the multi-tables in place of one of those other sessions?

Blackfoot
August 8th, 2016, 04:23
I'm not sure if you are right on that or not. Slot #1 is listed on the www.fg-con.com website for FG Con 8 but there weren't any games posted until Slot #2... I'm pretty sure I've seen some earlier stuff offered in the past... it's really up to him at that point I would think.. but I could be wrong I guess.

JWMK
August 8th, 2016, 09:26
Blackfoot - I would be interested in GMing 1 session to get my feet wet so to speak. I haven't GM'd before, is this something that I could do if the Con is my first time GMing with FG? I don't mind trying to run 1 or 2 sessions between now and then if you think it requires some training. I don't have a lot of time for prep, so I don't mind buying the PDF if someone will share something with me that is already prep'd. Later this year I will have more time that I could think about prep'ing my own session, but time is very limited now, sorry.

damned
August 8th, 2016, 10:30
Am I remembering correctly that the CON starts on Friday with Slot #2? So there are actually only 11 Slots across the entire weekend; 3 on Friday and 4 on Saturday and Sunday.

So Farnaby would be offering 2 sessions.

Farnaby, what do you think about helping with one of the multi-tables in place of one of those other sessions?

FG Con starts Friday. It starts... when the first game or other session starts - wherever/whenever that might be. You might find getting Friday day time games filled somewhat hard - or you might not... :)

Blackfoot
August 8th, 2016, 11:43
FG Con starts Friday. It starts... when the first game or other session starts - wherever/whenever that might be. You might find getting Friday day time games filled somewhat hard - or you might not... :)It would at least be interesting to see what happened.

Farnaby
August 8th, 2016, 12:31
I was offering Friday as well. So 3 games.
If Friday slot 1 doesn't full up I'll also do slot 2.

d1wright
August 8th, 2016, 12:39
I can support GMing 2 games and the multitable.

cmdisc
August 8th, 2016, 20:16
Looks like we're off to a good start with 11 potential tables so far (as I write this while stuck in Atlanta over this whole Delta airlines issue).

JWMK, I would recommend you try to get a session or two under your belt before running a CON game. CON sessions tend to be a different monster than regular games and they are less forgiving on timing.

If you need help with anything, let me know.

Farnaby
August 8th, 2016, 21:31
So, do I choose what scenario to run?
Any suggestions?

Blackfoot
August 8th, 2016, 21:48
I was offering Friday as well. So 3 games.
If Friday slot 1 doesn't full up I'll also do slot 2.We are not quite at that stage yet. We're trying to figure out who all we have and then we'll sort out what we're going to run, if we are going to try and encourage folks to run certain tiers or scenarios or seasons.

cmdisc
August 8th, 2016, 22:13
I think the Season theme is out unless we either go with a different multi-table (like run Season 5 scenarios and do that Season's multi-table) or else run a number of Season 3 scenarios in Standard. Doing the latter would mean a bit of replay for many of us.

So having folks offer whatever might be the way to go as long as we can try to get a good spread of subtiers worked in. Or we abandon the Season 3 multi-table and just run it later either officially or just for fun (no credit).

And if anyone is taking requests, I'm all for the Shades of Ice and Destiny of the Sands trilogies...both in Standard. :)

xazil
August 9th, 2016, 03:02
I can pencil in a couple of slot two games also that I can run. What would be the preference on the Core or Normal front overall?

cmdisc
August 24th, 2016, 16:02
I think Normal would be more likely to draw players, but who knows?

We currently have 13 games pledged so far. If we want to try for another multi-table we can work that into what is being offered. We'll need 5 minimum for that.

We'll need a minimum of 15 games overall to get Paizo support with free PDFs and prizes. That means we should probably aim for 18-20 sessions to cover down on those that might not materialize.

Talyn
August 24th, 2016, 16:07
BTW I've spoken with Jesse (ironhelixx) on the PFS discord and he's wanting to offer official pfs support like has been done in the past. Haven't heard if he had gotten a response from the folks here or not yet.

Farnaby
August 26th, 2016, 13:25
So now the GM registration is open, any guidelines from you guys or can I pick the scenarios randomly?

cmdisc
August 27th, 2016, 03:35
Farnaby,

I think for right now we don't have to worry about a given "theme" for the upcoming CON. Anyone interested in GMing can look to whatever sessions they'd like to play. Older ones are fine, but if we can work in some of the newer seasons, that would be good too.

Also, for those ok with running higher sessions, we'll want to look at offering a spread of levels for both newer players and older gamers to enjoy. I'm sure a few of us have higher level characters we wouldn't mind dusting off and having a chance to run. :)

If you want, you guys can start posting here the scenarios you're interested in and I'll edit them into this thread's OP. That way we make sure we're not doubling up or getting too heavy with regards to this level or that.

cmdisc
August 27th, 2016, 03:38
Oh and with regards to the Multi-table idea, Blackfoot and I thought it would be fun to run the Season 3 session. As per the multi-table rules, we'll need to run a minimum of 5 tables to qualify. If any of you are willing to volunteer for one of those, let me know. Ideally if we got 6 tables or so, we're in a position to lose one due to this or that and still be ok.

I'm down for one of the tables as one of the two that I'm looking to run that weekend and I think Blackfoot is as well.

Farnaby
August 27th, 2016, 11:00
It all depends when you want to run it.

Blackfoot
August 27th, 2016, 11:45
It all depends when you want to run it.The plan is to run the Multitable during 'Slot 3' on Saturday (the same time we've run the last 2).

cmdisc
August 28th, 2016, 04:41
We still have a few feelers out to see if there are other interested GMs who might want to run a session or two. Once I have a more completed list, I can send out emails requesting information on what Scenarios you'd be interested in running.

As posted just above, if you want to mention them here so that we can avoid doubling up and make sure we're getting a decent tier spread, go for it. First come, first served. ;)

In the meantime, I've reached out to Jesse to see about what Paizo support is possible. We're a little late here, but my move and subsequent travel has kept me out of the loop until just recently. So we'll see where we stand with that and I'll pass any info along to the GMs as I get it.

d1wright
August 28th, 2016, 15:26
The FGCon Site is open for GMs so signing up to GM a game will also let folks know what you're planning.

https://www.fg-con.com/events/

Farnaby
August 28th, 2016, 16:29
Alright then, I'll offer the first 3 season 8 scenarios.

cmdisc
August 29th, 2016, 00:36
Alright then, I'll offer the first 3 season 8 scenarios.

Would you be willing to change out one of those scenarios for a GM spot at the Season 3 Multi-table if we can get that off the ground?

Blackfoot
August 29th, 2016, 06:02
I plan on running the Multitable and #5–15: Destiny of the Sands—Part 2: Race to Seeker's Folly
I may run part 1 as well if there's a need for it.

cmdisc
August 29th, 2016, 16:05
I don't believe I've played any of the Destiny of the Sands parts. Is Part I necessary to understand Part II?

Blackfoot
August 29th, 2016, 23:21
I don't believe I've played any of the Destiny of the Sands parts. Is Part I necessary to understand Part II?No, like most of the multi-part scenario arcs, you don't 'need' to play them in order, but it certainly helps, this one in particular I'd say.

cmdisc
August 30th, 2016, 19:15
Well if you decide to offer Part I, I might be up for it. Otherwise I'll see what else pans out.

I'm also fine with running one of the multi-tables. Not sure what else I'm looking at just yet for either a Friday or Sunday slot though.

Talyn
August 30th, 2016, 19:30
I hope one of you guys will be doing at least one Tier 1 scenario for me? :) I'd hate to call in sick ::cough cough:: for work that weekend then not be able to do anything LOL. I doubt I'll be able to get my Paladin 2 into a higher tier anytime soon.

Any response from Jesse yet?

cmdisc
August 30th, 2016, 22:52
Nothing yet. I emailed him on his PFS Online account on Friday at the start of the weekend. So I figured that might mean I wouldn't hear anything right away. I fired off a follow-up today, so I'm hoping to hear something back before Friday. We'll see.

In the meantime, I will need to start gathering who is doing what. I'll double-check with Blackfoot on our current list of GMs and then get emails out to confirm which scenarios people are looking at. I see Farnaby is down for Season 8 sessions and Blackfoot has posted some ideas. Right now only Blackfoot and myself are down for running the Multi-table. We will need 3 or 4 more GMs for that, unless we want to scrap it and stick with regular sessions only. That will depend on how many GMs are willing to help out and who we can line up as an Overseer.

Martin or Davey, any pointers on that?

Talyn
August 30th, 2016, 22:58
He's usually on the PFS Discord. I've talked to him several times there, and put him in the loop (think I mentioned this on one of the FG threads somewhere?) that he was told by someone that PFS support was unwelcome now on FG which is totally untrue so he wanted to get that sorted out.

cmdisc
August 31st, 2016, 01:14
Yeah, not sure where that idea would come from. We've had great support from Paizo in the past and hope to have it now and in the future as well. I'll make sure he's sorted out on that if there's any lingering doubt. ;)

cmdisc
August 31st, 2016, 04:42
Ok, just heard from Jesse. It's late here but he'll be touching base with me tomorrow concerning everything that needs to get done. He's asking for everything to be packaged up and submitted by mid-Sept. So once I've had a chance to go over things with him and Blackfoot, we'll be getting emails out to all the GMs to gather details.

And again if any GMs are willing to make one of their sessions the Multi-table, we can try for that.

Blackfoot
August 31st, 2016, 06:28
I think we have at least 3 down for the multitable so far so we only need 2 more plus the overseer.
Overall table wise, that situation is improving but we need to shore up all the details as soon as we can. We'll make sure there are some lower tier games running as well as higher tier ones.

cmdisc
September 1st, 2016, 01:49
I've updated the OP to reflect those that have offered to GM and what scenarios they've suggested.

We are currently at 15 tables exactly. I'd like to see this number grow if we are to commit to the multi-table and to cover down on any sessions that might have to cancel last minute.

I have emails out to 4 others to see if they would be interested in GMing and I know Blackfoot has put feelers out with a few folks.

Still waiting to hear from Jesse, but Blackfoot and I are contacting the GMs to start gathering their information.

cmdisc
September 1st, 2016, 18:13
Ok, just got word from Jesse. We will need the following from the GMs:

GM Name
GM PFS Number
GM Paizo Forum Alias
GM Paizo Account Email
Scenario Name(s)

Blackfoot or I will be sending out an email to each of you to collect that information. It, plus some of the event info I need to generate, are all due back to Jesse by Sept 14th at the absolute latest. So please reply ASAP once you get those emails. We are currently at exactly 15 tables and we require 15 minimum in order to get Paizo support (free pdf's for the GMs, boons, prizes, etc). I haven't heard back yet from a few potential GMs, so we'll see what pans out over these next 2 weeks.

cmdisc
September 1st, 2016, 18:50
Sent out emails to several GMs that are tracking. If you didn't get an email from me, let me know and I'll get you on the list.

cmdisc
September 8th, 2016, 17:00
Jesse Davis has confirmed with me that we need 15 tables minimum in order to get Paizo Support (free pdfs for the GMs, boons, prizes, etc). We are currently locked in at 13 sessions. If there's anyone out there who thought about GMing or said they might be able to help out, now would be the time to let me know. Ideally we can add another 3-4 sessions to account for that 1 or 2 that might end up cancelling.

(Emails are out to a few of you from either Blackfoot or me).

All information is due by 14 Sept. So this doesn't give us a lot of time left. If you can get it to my before that, this gives me time to wrap it all up and get it to Jesse.

I'm going to say for now that we will need to forego the Multi-table event in the Sat #3 slot. We didn't get enough volunteers to run that this time around, but will revisit it for CON 10.

For you GMs who have given me your info and are on the calendar, go ahead and start posting your sessions on the FG-CON site. Blackfoot and I can hold off on posting ours until we get a better idea of what empty slots need to be plugged.

damned
September 9th, 2016, 03:21
Keep up the great work guys!

Trenloe
September 9th, 2016, 05:28
Keep up the great work guys!
+1!

Lord Kavos
September 10th, 2016, 00:56
sorry guys i dont think I can make this FG con - might be able to drop in to play 1 or 2, but will be away for most of that weekend sorry.

Good luck with the con!

cmdisc
September 10th, 2016, 03:39
Good news, folks! We have breached the 15 table mark!

Blackfoot, d1wright, xazil, Farnaby, KevenSimmons, and myself were able to get 13 sessions hammered out between us. HoloGnome has stepped up with 3+ offered tables and JWMK is offering another 1 or 2. So we are currently looking at 18ish tables for FG CON 9 with another 1 or 2 outstanding sessions that others might chime in with.

Great Job, everyone!

Now I just need information from folks that haven't sent it yet. PFS# and Forum and Email accounts that Paizo has on file for you. Once I get that all compiled, I'll get the information over to Jesse Davis and he'll work on getting pdfs to those that need them. If you don't have my email by now (shame on you for not paying attention), you can PM me with your information. Many of you have already sent that to me, so you can ignore this pestering bit. But those of you that haven't, I need that information from you ASAP. Without it, I can't submit your information to Jesse and he can't get your free pdfs to you.

So consider yourself nagged.

Also if any of you GMs don't have access to the "PFS Schedule for FG CON 9" doc that I've shared, let me know and I'll get you on that. It will give you a good idea of who is running what and when so we can coordinate things to avoid leaving gaps or overlapping too heavily. Some of you have already posted your sessions in FG-CON, which is just fine. If you feel you are locked in to certain times, go ahead and post. Those that are more flexible in their schedules, feel free to wait and see what pans out before posting. But either way, remember that Player Registration opens on the 16th. Ideally we can have all games posted by then and put Savage World and 5E to shame with their paltry 13 and 10 sessions respectively. :p

Thanks to all the GMs who are helping to make this work. And thanks to the Devs who make the FG CONs even possible. :)

cmdisc
September 10th, 2016, 03:40
sorry guys i dont think I can make this FG con - might be able to drop in to play 1 or 2, but will be away for most of that weekend sorry.

Good luck with the con!

Flayr will miss Ember. :(

Trenloe
September 10th, 2016, 03:41
Blackfoot, d1wright, xazil, Farnaby, KevenSimmons, and myself were able to get 13 sessions hammered out between us. HoloGnome has stepped up with 3+ offered tables and JWMK is offering another 1 or 2. So we are currently looking at 18ish tables for FG CON 9 with another 1 or 2 outstanding sessions that others might chime in with.
Fantastic news. Nice work everyone. :)

cmdisc
September 12th, 2016, 20:44
UPDATE:

The Season 3 Multi-table Special is back on. The last minute additions of some GMs and support back from Jesse confirms that we'll have what we need going forward. I've contacted the GMs involved so we can finalize our scheduling. The plan is to leave the Saturday #3 Slot wide open for the Special. It's worked wonderfully in the past, so here's hoping 3rd time around plays out just as nicely. :)

If you are interested in GMing for the CON and haven't spoken with me yet, send me an email or PM me here and let me know. I will not be able to accept information after end of day tomorrow (Tues the 13th).

Farnaby
September 13th, 2016, 08:28
That's great news!
I know I couldn't DM because of timing issues but perhaps next time.

cmdisc
September 15th, 2016, 00:23
Ok, the event has been registered with Paizo and I submitted all the necessary info to Jesse several hours ago.

We have 11 GMs covering down on 24 tables; the 5-table Season 3 Special and 19 individual sessions ranging all levels and covering both Standard and CORE rules.

Player Registration opens in 2 days and we need lots of Player interest to fill these tables; so go ahead and post your games if you haven't yet to give our sessions as much visibility as possible. And if you're new at it or if it's been a while and you're forgetful like me, I can send along the pdf that reviews how to post game sessions on the fg-con site. :)

damned
September 15th, 2016, 00:33
Well done cmdisc, xazil, Farnaby, d1wright, Blackfoot, KevenSimmons, HoloGnome and JWMK!
That is a huge showing!

cmdisc
September 16th, 2016, 14:31
Player Booking is now open. Lots of games to choose from across a number of rulesets (not that you're going to pick anything other than PFS, right?). ;)

Talyn
September 16th, 2016, 14:35
I posted about FG Con on the local Florida PFS forum. Not sure it'll get any takers, they seem a little negative toward VTT but whatever. I have a bad feeling I'm not going to get any PFS at all because the ones I'm eligible for are either on EU times when I'm asleep or running at the same time as the only other couple games I was looking forward to so I had to make a choice.

cmdisc
September 16th, 2016, 14:54
Whether it's PFS games or other rulesets, always glad to have you along.

And if you pick 5E over PFS, we'll try to forgive you. :p

Talyn
September 16th, 2016, 17:33
Savage Worlds, actually! :) I'd love to try an Adventurer's Guild. I've never played a single session yet. But then I'm only 5 real PFS ever and zero on FG...

Talyn
September 16th, 2016, 19:07
Looks like that Blood Under Absalom might be the only one at a time I'd be able to participate. Trouble is the description makes it seem like nothing more than a Murder Hobo convention, which isn't very interesting to me. :(

Blackfoot
September 16th, 2016, 21:59
Looks like that Blood Under Absalom might be the only one at a time I'd be able to participate. Trouble is the description makes it seem like nothing more than a Murder Hobo convention, which isn't very interesting to me. :(It's a significant piece of the story for Season 3, which is why we've elected to run it this time.

Talyn
September 16th, 2016, 22:16
Is it? Hmm... Ok, so, since we're on VTT do the timers remain the same or are they customized a bit to account for the difference from face to face gaming?

cmdisc
September 16th, 2016, 23:20
We've run multi-tables twice before, both times sticking to the schedule as planned. The first time we did it, we ran into the deadline while needing an extra 10 minutes to finish successfully. The second time, we were able to complete everything in the time allowed.

I can ask Jesse to get his take on it. Honestly, I don't know how much flexibility there is or isn't on that. But if there's anything definitive, I'll let you know.

...unless someone here already has that answer.

HoloGnome
September 17th, 2016, 18:23
Master Index of PFS Games and Sign-Up Links for FGCON 9 (https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?16931-***-Game-Announcement-thread-***-Subscribe-to-get-email-updates-GM-posts-only!&p=289881&viewfull=1#post289881)

cmdisc
September 19th, 2016, 14:41
Great News! Opening weekend for FG-CON has had an excellent response from Players. 74 of the available 144 spaces have been snatched up. There is still plenty of space at many of the tables, so if you haven't taken the opportunity to sign up (or if you're looking to add 1 or 2 more sessions to your weekend), visit https://www.fg-con.com/ when you get the chance.

cmdisc
September 23rd, 2016, 02:16
Sign-ups are coming along great! As of right now, 16 of our 24 tables are viable! Awesome news there.

We are still light on the Multi-table. The 1-2 is pretty full, but the others are sitting with only 1 or 2 players each. So plenty of room to sign up. And if we find the preference is heavy toward this or that subtier while others lag, we can shift things around as needed.

Talyn
September 23rd, 2016, 02:45
I had to cancel the only one that fit my schedule because my Paladin is 3 now (1 more XP til 4) instead of 2. I'll look around this weekend to see if anyone popped up that fits in for me. I sure hope so. 6 months and never got any PFS yet.

cmdisc
September 23rd, 2016, 04:12
The PFS games that are being offered during this CON are already posted. They fit into specific slot times over the course of the weekend. Each slot is 5 hours long with a 1 hour break in between, and 4 slots per day over the 3 days. For instance in my Timezone, everything begins at either 2 o'clock or 8 o'clock both AM and PM.

If they don't work for you this time around, there will be PFS sessions picking up after the CON once the GMs recover from all the Chronicle/Paper work and start looking at new scenarios.

And of course there's always CON 10 in the Spring. ;)

damned
September 23rd, 2016, 06:45
I had to cancel the only one that fit my schedule because my Paladin is 3 now (1 more XP til 4) instead of 2. I'll look around this weekend to see if anyone popped up that fits in for me. I sure hope so. 6 months and never got any PFS yet.

Start a new character - easy!
Play a pre-gen (inform the GM beforehand) - even easier (for you at least)!

https://www.fg-con.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/09/fgcon9-sig7.jpg (https://www.fg-con.com/events/)
FG Con 9 – Fantasy Grounds Online RPG Convention - October 14-16 2016
Register at www.fg-con.com (https://www.fg-con.com/) for all the latest info.

bigboom
September 23rd, 2016, 09:59

https://www.fg-con.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/09/fgcon9-sig7.jpg (https://www.fg-con.com/events/)

I was gonna say the same thing. If you want to play and a time slot suits you, just start up a new character or play a pregen and apply the pregen's chronicle to a new character!

All GMs will generally have the level 1 pregen XMLs ready to go. Or if you need a hand putting together a new character pregen, drop me a PM and I'm happy to help you out.

HoloGnome
September 23rd, 2016, 13:08
*** Pathfinder Society FGCON9 Virtual Recruitment Banjo Music Complete With Cupcakes From Your Local Supermarket (assuming you buy them and play the banjo) ***

Naked Pictures of Ambrus Valsin and Zarta Dralneen in a Chelaxian Haberdashery (aka The FGCON9 PFS Master Games Index) (https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?16931-***-Game-Announcement-thread-***-Subscribe-to-get-email-updates-GM-posts-only!&p=289881&viewfull=1#post289881)

Talyn
September 23rd, 2016, 15:49

It's taken me forever just to get this character to 3. I need a new level 1 like I need another hole in the head. :)

cmdisc
September 23rd, 2016, 17:42
It's taken me forever just to get this character to 3. I need a new level 1 like I need another hole in the head. :)

Piercings ARE a thing. :p

cmdisc
September 28th, 2016, 00:13
As of right now:

- 100 spaces of the possible 144 are booked and 3 of the tables have an Alternate each waiting in the wings should someone drop.
- Of the 19 planned tables (not including the Multi-table), all but 1 currently have enough players to run.
- 2 of the 5 Multi-tables are viable. A minimum of 3 more players in the right spots are needed to bring the other 3 tables online.

According to Jesse, PDFs should be coming to the GMs by Oct 7th at the latest. We've always gotten them earlier than that in the past, so GMs keep an eye on your downloads as we go into this weekend. And post when you get them so the rest of us know to look.

I'll be getting with Jesse to discuss the Boons soon. Once I have, I'll send out emails to the GMs to make sure we're all on the same page.

damned
September 28th, 2016, 00:22
A big hoorah to all the Pathfinder GMs who have really gotten behind this! Well done guys. I highlighted PFS and Savage Worlds in the FG Con newsletter on Monday.

https://www.fg-con.com/?wysija-page=1&controller=email&action=view&email_id=50&wysijap=subscriptions

https://www.fg-con.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/09/fgcon9-sig9.jpg (https://www.fg-con.com/events/)

Talyn
September 28th, 2016, 15:25
FYI to whomever has contact with Jesse: there's still no mention of FG Con in the PFS Online areas, at least not in the official PFS Discord where they've had an official AetherCon channel for months (which is apparently only for browser-based VTT because the guy who runs it hates Fantasy Grounds for [insert mystery reason here]), nor in the Google Group for PFS LFG.

HoloGnome
September 29th, 2016, 19:18
I updated the game availability in the PFS Game Announcement Thread (https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?16931-***-Game-Announcement-thread-***-Subscribe-to-get-email-updates-GM-posts-only!&p=289881&viewfull=1#post289881). If you want to see a quick index of what's available and sign up for a game, check it out. Note the games in red that do not yet have valid tables (especially for the multi-table special Blood Under Absalom).

cmdisc
September 30th, 2016, 01:15
FYI to whomever has contact with Jesse: there's still no mention of FG Con in the PFS Online areas, at least not in the official PFS Discord where they've had an official AetherCon channel for months (which is apparently only for browser-based VTT because the guy who runs it hates Fantasy Grounds for [insert mystery reason here]), nor in the Google Group for PFS LFG.

I've spoken with Jesse, but I'm not tied into any of the social networking on this. I can mention something to him, but if any of you want to tie into whatever advertising opportunities there are, have at it. :)

Talyn
September 30th, 2016, 03:38
I mentioned it to him a month or two ago back when this was first announced, when I said he was told that PFS support was unwelcome at FG these days, which wasn't true. But there's still zero mention of FG Con anywhere on those two places that the community gathers. I never look at the Paizo forums so I dunno if anything is there or not.

HoloGnome
September 30th, 2016, 18:04
I spoke with Jesse back and forth for FGCON8 and never heard anything about PFS support being unwelcome at FG. Quite the contrary - it is very welcome, as we all know. Also, per the above, I'm also aware of the AetherCon exclusion, where FG is not allowed (only Roll20). OK - so people have to install FG and input their character and you can't launch the game from a link, but it's not very difficult. It would be great if VTT CONs included top-tier VTT solutions like FG. For playing, it's easy enough to master the basics in a short training session (also required for Roll20). And IMO, in the long run, FG is more functional and economical and characters and content are not at the mercy of recurring billing. But...OK - so we have FGCONs, which are dedicated to the FG client and the reverse argument might apply where FGCON does not include Roll20 (but perhaps appropriately so vs. a more general CON that is not vendor-specific). Whatever works. Anyway, it seems like the problem might be outside exclusion/discrimination of FG, rather than the other way around. :confused:

wbcreighton
October 2nd, 2016, 19:35
I am running PFS #5–12: Destiny of the Sands, Part 1: A Bitter Bargain (Tier 1-5, Normal)

I am looking for help with the module. Inquired with skellan who is listed as having a module for this one, but he indicated that he doesn't have it anymore.

Can anyone help out ?

Warren

cmdisc
October 2nd, 2016, 21:10
I'm not sure who has that one. We'll have to see if anyone responds.

As for the PDFs, they should be arriving in your Paizo downloads soon. Jesse mentioned them arriving by the end of the week, but for as long as I've GMed a CON, they've always arrived sooner. So I'm hoping by tomorrow or Tues at the latest seeing as we're inside of 2 weeks. We've got several GMs that are running 2 or 3 sessions. That's a lot to prep at this point already.

If nothing shows up by EOB tomorrow, I'll give Jesse a poke. He's the only contact I have unless HG or someone else happens to know of others to inquire with.

Talyn
October 2nd, 2016, 21:38
I spoke with Jesse back and forth for FGCON8 and never heard anything about PFS support being unwelcome at FG. Quite the contrary - it is very welcome, as we all know. Also, per the above, I'm also aware of the AetherCon exclusion, where FG is not allowed (only Roll20). OK - so people have to install FG and input their character and you can't launch the game from a link, but it's not very difficult. It would be great if VTT CONs included top-tier VTT solutions like FG. For playing, it's easy enough to master the basics in a short training session (also required for Roll20). And IMO, in the long run, FG is more functional and economical and characters and content are not at the mercy of recurring billing. But...OK - so we have FGCONs, which are dedicated to the FG client and the reverse argument might apply where FGCON does not include Roll20 (but perhaps appropriately so vs. a more general CON that is not vendor-specific). Whatever works. Anyway, it seems like the problem might be outside exclusion/discrimination of FG, rather than the other way around. :confused:

Yeah I totally don't see the point of this AetherCon if it's really nothing more than a fanboi Roll20 Con. Fan/User Cons should be all about inclusion, and that means all the VTTs -- Fantasy Grounds, d20Pro, whatever else -- not just Roll20 because the douche who runs it has a personal grudge against FG.

Trenloe
October 2nd, 2016, 23:01
Yeah I totally don't see the point of this AetherCon if it's really nothing more than a fanboi Roll20 Con. Fan/User Cons should be all about inclusion, and that means all the VTTs -- Fantasy Grounds, d20Pro, whatever else -- not just Roll20 because the douche who runs it has a personal grudge against FG.
Well, FG Con is all about just Fantasy Grounds and it's a community convention. We don't allow any other VTTs. The only difference is that we're very clear that it's Fantasy Grounds Con up front.

To be perfectly honest - if con organizers want to go to all the effort to create a convention and then limit the platform that's entirely up to them.

HoloGnome
October 3rd, 2016, 18:57
To be perfectly honest - if con organizers want to go to all the effort to create a convention and then limit the platform that's entirely up to them.

True enough, and every additional system adds additional complexity and maybe user confusion unless handled very clearly at registration time. One solution/one set of rules makes it easy for any CON.

Talyn
October 3rd, 2016, 19:05
Well, FG Con is all about just Fantasy Grounds and it's a community convention. We don't allow any other VTTs. The only difference is that we're very clear that it's Fantasy Grounds Con up front.

Fair enough, and the fact you specify Fantasy Grounds helps clarify immediately. For AetherCon pretty much anyone on any VTT might get all excited then realize, nope, it's only for Roll20.

cmdisc
October 6th, 2016, 22:14
All GM PDF downloads for the CON should be in from Paizo as of today. If you are missing any, let me know ASAP and I'll check on it for you.

damned
October 7th, 2016, 02:16
24 sessions - including the Multi Table special!!!! Please invite your friends and lets fill those tables up!

HoloGnome
October 8th, 2016, 17:48
I have updated all the PFS game availability in the Game Announcement Thread (https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?16931-***-Game-Announcement-thread-***-Subscribe-to-get-email-updates-GM-posts-only!&p=289881&viewfull=1#post289881). It has the links to all the games and shows the time zones to help you navigate quickly to available PFS at your preferred time(s).

Color Code:
Red: Still need more players to make the tables viable (consider signing up for JWMK's Black Waters, Farnaby's Ward Asunder or KevenSimmons' 10-11 table for the special)
Green: Still have seats available
Blue: Alternate available
Purple: Full (including 1 alternate)

Blackfoot
October 8th, 2016, 23:09
Be aware that we are planning to shift the subtier on Keven's table if we don't get enough 10-11 PCs... so sign up for whatever level you are interested in and we'll make room.

HoloGnome
October 10th, 2016, 17:20
Alternately, if there is just 1 more sign-up with someone with a Level 10-11 character, the table will be legal. C'mon high levels!

Black Waters also only needs 1 more sign-up to be legal.

If these 2 tables come in, then all CON tables will be legal!

damned
October 11th, 2016, 03:48
Anyone posting on Paizo boards or Paizo reddit?

Talyn
October 12th, 2016, 19:25
I just looked on: PFS Discord, PFSOC (the Google Groups for PFS LFG), and the Paizo forum. ZERO mention of FG Con 9. In fact a search for "fg con" brings up 2014 (FG Con 5) as the first hit. I didn't look on Reddit.

damned
October 13th, 2016, 00:32
Hey Talyn dont be afraid to post it in those places yourself :)

Talyn
October 13th, 2016, 00:34
I've only ever talked in the Discord since I'm on Discord almost any time I'm at my PC or laptop. I spoke to Jesse at length about things a couple months ago. Obviously didn't do any good.

I dunno, maybe that whole crew is "Go Roll20 or Go Home?"

Trenloe
October 13th, 2016, 05:15
We've got lots of PFS games running and we're going to fill most of them. To be perfectly honest, this is on the FG PFS side to advertise in the areas they want to, not to rely on the Paizo online venture officers. It's our convention and it's up to us to advertise it. There's no Roll20 conspiracy or anything else going on here.

Talyn
October 13th, 2016, 14:10
To be perfectly honest, this is on the FG PFS side to advertise in the areas they want to, not to rely on the Paizo online venture officers. It's our convention and it's up to us to advertise it. There's no Roll20 conspiracy or anything else going on here.

Sure, I get that.

On the flip side of that coin, why did Jesse himself put up a big call for GMs for AetherCon (hey, which VTT is that on? Oh yeah...) on the PFSOC group yesterday? That's also a pure fan created and driven con but the Paizo online venture officer is advertising for it again. Still nothing about FG Con, which starts tomorrow (tonight I guess).

So, yeah, this is why I get frustrated about stuff like this.

Trenloe
October 13th, 2016, 16:43
On the flip side of that coin, why did Jesse himself put up a big call for GMs for AetherCon (hey, which VTT is that on? Oh yeah...) on the PFSOC group yesterday? That's also a pure fan created and driven con but the Paizo online venture officer is advertising for it again. Still nothing about FG Con, which starts tomorrow (tonight I guess).
My experience of Jesse is that he's a reasonable guy and will do things for anyone *if he's asked*. You also may not realise that he's a long term Fantasy Grounds user, so there is definitely no bias towards Roll20.

I'd imagine Jesse has been asked to coordinate GMs for AetherCon. To the best of my knowledge, Jesse was not asked to do this for FG Con by the FG Con PFS coordinators. The FG Con PFs GMs were organised from within the community. This actually works better for us, as it (usually) provides more reliable GMs who know how to use Fantasy Grounds.

I don't hear the FG Con PFS coordinators complaining about any lack of support or bias.

Talyn
October 13th, 2016, 16:54
I'm looking at it from two angles:

1) regardless who officially uses what, Roll20 gets all the attention. FG gets none because "ZOMG $150 are they insane?" and they close the browser tab before they see anything else. d20Pro supports Pathfinder OGL same as FG and they don't seem to get any mention.

2) the FG Con email blast was asking for more players to make sure some of the tables were legal or got played at all. Look how many PFS people are in Discord every single day chatting and looking for games. Look how active the PFSOC group is. Probably could have gotten them filled if there was any mention of it.

And I don't count myself. I'm one guy, merely a player not a GM, not someone with official (or unofficial) contacts to anything whatsoever and my only PFS character is level 3 so what do I know? :) I tried repeatedly getting something mentioned in the Discord to no avail (and may have mentioned PFSOC while there since Jesse handles both, I forget). AetherCon has its own dedicated channel on the PFS Discord for chat and announcements.

Anyway, just voicing my frustration with the lack of "advertising" for anything. I'll drop it now. It's probably too late for anything now since FG Con starts at midnight.

Trenloe
October 13th, 2016, 17:01
We also rely on community members advertising the event - pushing in social media channels that they use (and some they don't). Hence why damned asked you in post #97 of this thread to post in those areas that you mentioned there was no details of FG Con/PFS games.

Yes, I'm sure all of us could do more if we had the time. This is a community ran convention that relies on the community support. If *all of us* put our energies into positively advertising FG Con then things might be a little better in terms of getting the word out.

I'll leave you with one thought - FG Con 9 has 99 events, this is far and away the largest FG Con so far. We must be doing at least a small something right. Despite all of the conspiracies we have to work with. ;)

Talyn
October 13th, 2016, 17:07
Oh, sure, it looks pretty huge this time! If I appear all Negative Nancy, that isn't my intention. Like I said, I'm simply frustrated that it didn't seem to get any attention outside the forums here which doesn't help since we're all already aware. I made an attempt in both PFS Discord and in my Google+ circles that has some RPG players.

But I'm very excited to finally get to play something on Fantasy Grounds and if anyone ever gets around to posting the schedule for FG Con 10 so I can request a vacation break ASAP maybe I'll even get up the nerve to GM something for it.

Talyn
October 13th, 2016, 18:35
There. I made a post in the PFSOC group. It has to be approved, though, so we'll see what happens with it.

cmdisc
October 17th, 2016, 08:45
I sit here at the close of FG CON 9. It's 0230 locally. I'm exhausted. My brain is fried. And I had a blast from start to end yet again.

I have to say I'm extremely blessed; for my wife who lets me run off and be a useless lump twice a year, for friends I get to spend game time with as we slay imaginary monsters and curse those d20's that refuse to roll above a 7, and for the chance to meet new....well I can't really say "faces", so I'll go with "voices"....from around the world. Sessions ran over, sleep and meals were skipped, but I wouldn't miss these weekend escapades for anything.

Thanks to everyone who helped to make this weekend (and all past and future weekends like it) possible. Now it's time to relax and put my feet up and...

....oh crap. I have HOW MANY chronicles to get to???

damned
October 17th, 2016, 09:21
You PFS guys - players and GMs - but particularly the GMs did a fantastic job. Between now and then lets make a list of all the pcaes we need to advertise FG Con 10 at and make sure several of us have accounts at each so we can promote and bump each others posts far and wide. Lets use FG Con 10 to grow the PFS community here on Fantasy Grounds.

cmdisc i reckon a few of you might be suffering from chronicle fatigue syndrome!

corwynn
October 17th, 2016, 21:50
I'll leave you with one thought - FG Con 9 has 99 events, this is far and away the largest FG Con so far. We must be doing at least a small something right. Despite all of the conspiracies we have to work with. ;)

I took part in 8 sessions (3 Pathfinder—unfortunately missed the 4th because I collapsed in exhaustion Saturday) and loved it. It was my first FG Con, and not my last. I did ask people to come sign up, but I'm going to be more proactive next time, having actually been to the event now and knowing how well it all works. Hopefully I'll rope some people into at least a couple of sessions, expanding the pool of interest even more.