PDA

View Full Version : 5e adventure creation - learning by doing - questions

Myrdin Potter
August 6th, 2016, 17:32
I have been using FG for about 9 months now, but always with pre-done content. I am now trying to learn how to best use the program to create adventures. To start with, I am converting over from PDF one of the modules I have.

I did read one guide I found that had good advice like putting all the new monsters into their own campaign and then creating a module from it (module being the FG term, not the standard D&D use meaning adventure). That allows you easily reuse the monsters.

One first question I have is now that I am putting the story elements in, what is the order that FG displays it in the tab? Order created with newest first or sorted alphabetically? Can you reorder or do you have to use naming tricks like starting with letters or numbers to get the right order?

So far I have been having some fun relearning GIMP and figuring out to best way to open a PDF and grabbing images and text. I have found that in this module the page design worked with transparency and other features of the main image and some look good if just grabbed and others are actually better if you take a "snapshot" and then crop the image.

I do plan on learning Par5e next, but I want to use the built in process first to learn it as it is what Par5e automates.

The new monsters are written in good 5e form in the PDF so much of it just works when I drop them into the combat tracker, but I will have to work on a few of the effects which is also good for me to learn.

I will try and use this thread for questions as I get them and some links to whatever the more experienced people wish everyone would read before trying to make a module would be appreciated. I will try and keep one question per entry into this thread, with this entry being the order the adventure material appears in one entered and how it could be changed.

Trenloe
August 6th, 2016, 19:27
Definitely use "module making" campaigns to enter your data and then export as a module. i.e. create a new campaign for each adventure you're converting, enter the data as required and then export that module to use in your ongoing campaign. Then you can go back and add/edit to the module if needs be and you're keeping your main gaming campaign data to a minimum - which you'll want to do to prevent campaign data bloat and slow down over time.

Any campaign data lists are sorted alphabetically. You'll need to use numerical prefixes to keep a certain order. Also use one or two additional category tabs to help keep different type separate.

Make sure you convert your images/maps to JPG (this will remove transparency) with quality between 40-75 To keep the sizes down - large maps should be below 1MB in file size, other images should be as small as you can make them. This reduces the time/load when you share images with the players.

There are some general module layout details in this document: https://www.fantasygrounds.com/wiki/images/b/b7/Adventure-a-Week_Module_Creation_Guide.pdf It goes on to get pretty specific for Pathfinder, but the initial few pages have some good ideas for general FG module practices.

Myrdin Potter
August 6th, 2016, 22:19
Thanks, that helped a lot.

Question number 2, how do I rename the "groups" or "tabs" at the bottom of the campaign?

Question number 3, is there a summary of the group icons and what they are supposed to represent?

Question number 4, is there an easier way to change color/style or the icon for groups without cycling through them?

LordEntrails
August 6th, 2016, 22:55
#2) To rename a tab, type the name into the chat window but do not hit enter. Then drag the entry to your tab.

#3) Not that I have heard of.

#4) Only if you want to go into the xml and edit the entry there :(

Myrdin Potter
August 7th, 2016, 06:06
Thanks for the renaming hint. What a strange way to assign a name. You would think you could just right click and fill out a form.

Almost all the text is entered, tokens are created for the new monsters, and the new monsters initial data entry is done (monsters are in their own campaign that I will also turn into a module).

I need to carefully go over the effects to make sure the monsters have everything automated. Only one that looks very tricky is improved critical (19 and 20) when there are two melee attacks and it only applies to one.

LordEntrails
August 7th, 2016, 06:56
Since it seemed there are a few threads on module creation, I put this together for everyone. I think it captures everything suggested here and in other threads, but check it out in case eitehr we forgot to mention something, or I missed a suggestions;
https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?33538-Adventure-Module-Creation-Best-Practices

Myrdin Potter
August 7th, 2016, 13:20
I think that a step-by-step discussion on how to create and encounter and how to create a parcel would be good, and yours here is a good start.

As an example, the module I am converting over has specific hit points for the monsters in tne text. I am not even sure if that can be carried over when setting up an encounter as all the wotc modules I have played have had fixed (and average) HP per creature.

The module I am converting also has GP ranges to roll when you search. I am not sure if parcel creation allows for that.

There are a couple of threads on token creation but not great clarity in them. I ended up using token tool but that was very trial and error. I still am unclear of what the standard and suggested token size should be (in pixels) with 50x50 and 64x64 mentioned but I found a video that suggests 100x100. Even the shape (square or round) is not so well explained. I created tokens using artwork inside the module where it existed and the standard, SRD letters for those that did not and it is not clear if I end up getting permission and distributing it if SRD letter tokens are fair game.

I will be doing a bunch of encounters, today and I am sure I will have questions.

I am going a full module conversion, however, o play a module, you really only need to make any unique monsters and build encounters and parcels. You can always refer to your written outside of FG copy for everything else. That probably should be discussed and that means that encounters and parcels should have specific and clear instructions.

Zacchaeus
August 7th, 2016, 14:13
Creating encounters and parcels are covered in the Wiki and other tutorials. Mostly just drag and drop.
if you want an NPC with a specific number of hit points or some other variation from the standard; make a copy of the original NPC, rename it and make the amendments. Use that NPC in the encounter.
If you want to create a parcel of random coins, you can. Create a table with a single line and type (say) [1d10] gp into the line. China get the output to 'parcel' and link the table to the story text. See the table tutorial in the Wiki for more (I'd link to it but I'm not on a proper computer).
Tokens can be any size you want since FG will scale them up or down to fit the grid. There's no real need to go above 512x512. I use two sizes 256x256 for huge creatures and above and 128x128 for the rest. Square or round is a personal preference. I prefer round.
if the artwork is in the SRD you can use it otherwise you can't. It's best to simply use a letter token and the DM can substitute whatever he wants from his own collection (if he so desires).

Myrdin Potter
August 7th, 2016, 17:26
I will give you an example. I have now read through the table wiki. There are three different ranges of GP that could be found, 3d10, 5d10 and 6d10.

I can make a one row table, output to parcel and have '[3d10] gp' . Does not matter what the die roll is, and the die roll that goes to the table will have no relation to gp generated.

Or I can make large tables with a row for each die total and the exact same number of gp with the syntax of [x] gp where x is the die total.

If GM rolls are not being shown, the players will not see a different die roll from the amount of gp being given out.

However, if I were to distribute the module, anyone who had it and was the GM could notice it and wonder if there was a bug.

The wiki does not cover is there is such a variable as what the die roll was (lets call it 'roll'), so I am not sure if I can make the output [roll] gp.

LordEntrails
August 7th, 2016, 21:11
As Zacc said, for NPC's that have a fixed HP value, just drag them to the NPC list and alter them. If you look at the best practices I linked above, you should be doing this anyway. HP's for NPCs added to the combat tracker can be determined a few ways. The default method is to use the standard/default values from the source. But their is a GM option that can set it to max, min, standard, or random. Everything but standard is determined by the die field in the NPC entry.

So, to give a NPC a fixed number of hit points regardless of the DM setting;
- Drag the NPC from the source to the campaign NPC list.
- Edit the NPC to remove the hit die information from the NPC
- Set the desired fixed hit points

As for the random number of gold pieces, you CAN automate it with tables. But I never have. Too much hassle IMO both to set it up and for the GM to use it. Put a nominal/average number in the parcel, then in the story entry that links to the parcel put text that states the random range for the GM to use and that the parcel should be adjusted prior to distributing it to the party.

Myrdin Potter
August 7th, 2016, 22:31
The set number of GP with a note to the GM is good but I am trying to convert the module as close as possible. The program certainly knows the roll that it made, too bad it can't be the variable in the [] that sets the result as well. It might be, just undocumented. I guess I can read through the table code but I am a good accountant but not so hot as a code guy and I just bought my first Lua book.

The module lists the monsters and how many HP each is to have. I was hoping I could could drag to the Combat Tracker and then just set the HP in the combat tracker and when the encounter was saved the HP would stick. Making a new NPC in the master NPC list for each HP seems extreme. Again, probably does not matter for the module as a whole but if you convert someone else's work I figure stay as close as possible.

Zacchaeus
August 7th, 2016, 22:53
I will give you an example. I have now read through the table wiki. There are three different ranges of GP that could be found, 3d10, 5d10 and 6d10.

I can make a one row table, output to parcel and have '[3d10] gp' . Does not matter what the die roll is, and the die roll that goes to the table will have no relation to gp generated.

Or I can make large tables with a row for each die total and the exact same number of gp with the syntax of [x] gp where x is the die total.

If GM rolls are not being shown, the players will not see a different die roll from the amount of gp being given out.

However, if I were to distribute the module, anyone who had it and was the GM could notice it and wonder if there was a bug.

The wiki does not cover is there is such a variable as what the die roll was (lets call it 'roll'), so I am not sure if I can make the output [roll] gp.
I don't understand, sorry.
if you have three different possibilities create three single line tables, one for each of the possible random gold amounts. When you click on the dice roller it will generate a parcel with the random gold in it. So if it's 3d10 then the line is [3d10] gp and the parcel will contain an amount of gold of 3 to 30 gp.

Myrdin Potter
August 7th, 2016, 23:28
All three ranges are in three different locations so I would want to make three tables for three ranges.

I can have the dice for the table that be rolled be the same as the range of GP to be rewarded. If so, then the actual number of the GP is another roll as per the table, not the roll that the GM makes for the table. In essence, the game is rolling two dice rolls. One for what row to use on the table and one for the number of GP. If I want the dice that show up for the table roll be the number of GP as well, I seem to need to make a table with a fixed result for every possible total for the dice as the table roll callot be the variable for the number of GP.

I am worried that if I use a one line table, what the GM rolls is not what goes into the parcel. And then you get a bug report telling you of the mismatch, and making Zaccaeus's life easier should be in the standard module recommendations, right? :-)

Understand now?

Zacchaeus
August 8th, 2016, 00:06
I may not be explaining too well and I cannot give you a screenshot since I am several thousand miles away from my computer. Start a new table with the minimum rows and columns. Delete all rows except the first. Leave the from/to dice blank or put 1 in each box, it doesn't matter. In the (only) column type in [3d10] gp exactly as shown. Give the table a name an do nothing else. Do not fill in dice or anything. Change the output to 'parcel'. Now click the dice icon on the top left of the table and it will create a parcel with the random gold. Create two more tables for the other two possibilities.

Myrdin Potter
August 8th, 2016, 00:37
I can do that no issue.

The die roll that results is basically ignored and the table random number goes into the parcel.

So you get a visual die roll and a different result. I am assuming that someone will ask why at some point who does not understand how tables work (like me before I created my first tables today).

Trenloe
August 8th, 2016, 00:55
So you get a visual die roll and a different result.
If you use blank or 1-1 for the number range of the single row in the table (as suggested by Zacchaeus) then there is no physical dice roll, just the table result of "1" (meaning first row) shown in the chat window.

Even if there was a physical die roll (e.g. To return one of the three different GP values you mention in your example above) I honestly think that the vast majority of users won't think this is "a bug". I think you're over thinking this. Maybe someone will ask something about this in future, but I think most people will realize this is a line in a table that generates a parcel called "Result" with the random GP already populated. Don't be afraid to use cool functionality on the off chance that the occasional user might not understand what is going on. If they're confused they can come to the forums and ask what's going on we're not afraid of answering questions here! :-)

Zacchaeus
August 8th, 2016, 00:57
Ah, ok I see what you are getting at now. If I remember correctly dice rolls on tables are not output to the players. I'd need to be at home to check but you could open a second instance of FG to check the player view yourself. However i don't think it is a problem even if they do see a shadow dice. Furthermore if the DM is seeing the correct result then they shouldn't be too worried they didn't see the actual dice roll.

LordEntrails
August 8th, 2016, 01:18
The module lists the monsters and how many HP each is to have. I was hoping I could could drag to the Combat Tracker and then just set the HP in the combat tracker and when the encounter was saved the HP would stick. Making a new NPC in the master NPC list for each HP seems extreme. Again, probably does not matter for the module as a whole but if you convert someone else's work I figure stay as close as possible.

If you want to make the module stand-alone, then you have to drag the creature to the NPC list. Otherwise future users will have to have the source open when they add the creature.

You can drag to the combat tracker and adjust the HPs, but then you won't be able to stage the encounters. Because the CT does not export and because you have to clear it to prep the next encounter.

I get how a lot of the old school modules would have an array of HPs for a group of goblins or similar. (i.e. "HP: 7,6,6,5,4,4,2"). Admittedly creating a unique entry for each set HP level is annoying. But, IMO, that array was just a way of the author saying something like HP=1d8+1 and not having the DM have to roll a bunch of hit points. FG accomplishes the same thing by allowing the DM to set the option for random hit points. Then FG will roll them each time they are added to the tracker. But you're right, its not true to how the module was written.

Myrdin Potter
August 13th, 2016, 05:15
Now I have a question. I followed the advice and made a campaign that I just created the monsters in and exported the monsters into a module. I opened the monsters module in the actual campaign where I built the module.

When I export the new campaign into a module, I cannot access or use my monsters unless I have the monsters module open as well.

What did I do wrong? If I wanted to distribute the module I would not want to include a monsters module as well and tell the user to open both, I would want it all self contained.

Trenloe
August 13th, 2016, 05:19
Don't directly use the monsters from the module, drag them to the NPC campaign data list in the new campaign - this will make copies of the NPCs in the campaign which you can then export with your final module. Not copying the NPCs means that they are links to your monsters module, not actual NPC records in the campaign.

Myrdin Potter
August 13th, 2016, 05:27
When I do that, as soon as I close the monsters module, they go away again (they have little module open icons besides them). I must be doing it wrong, I am doing it from the tab and dropping on the other NPC tab. Maybe I need to do it from the library? Can you be more specific of dragging from where in the interface to where?

I suppose I need to redo every encounter once I do this ... sigh ...

---- and I went and tried after writing this post ---

OK, If I drag from the library to the NPC tab, it works. Except I was being complete and put a link with a picture of the monster into each monster and, of course, the image is in the other campaign and module. So I have to copy all the images over to the new campaign with the master module and remove the offending links and add back the better links.

Annoying but no other way to learn but trying and making mistakes, I guess. :-p

LordEntrails
August 13th, 2016, 06:16
If you want to fix the links by editing the xml, you can see this post, it has the basics of what you would need to do (after copying the NPC to the NPC list): https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?32794-Checking-a-Module-for-Correct-Referencing-amp-Other-quot-Quality-quot-Checks&p=276334&viewfull=1#post276334

Myrdin Potter
August 13th, 2016, 06:54
I am not sure what I would edit it to, at least at my current knowledge level.

What would be good for monsters would be if they had a field for their official image. Right now if you want to have a picture for a monster yiu put a link to an image in the monster description. Except the image is not copied when you copy it into the NPC list.

So in my monster campaign that I created the monsters in, I have all the images in my image folder and linked them into the monster in the notes tab. That does not work when you copy the monster over as the link refers back to the original image. Unless I did something wrong when I exported and that is the problem ....

Myrdin Potter
August 13th, 2016, 11:52
Is there something I should have done different in creating the monsters with the image links in the notes section of the monster entry to make this more portable, or are you always going to have to copy over the images into your new module? Is there a way to not have to redo all the monster entries that have picture links?

Trenloe
August 13th, 2016, 12:11
You'll need to copy over the images. The links to the images will be coded to look in the module. You need to have the images in the module making campaign to allow you to export these into a new module.

Just remember that everything you want to export to a module has to be in the campaign. It can't be contained in other modules, unless you want a pre-requisite of having those other modules loaded - which is a manual process to activate the required modules in the end campaign.

You could manually edit the links, but this would require you to know which image reference in the campaign is for which image. It will be more reliable (and probably quicker) to re-do the image links.

LordEntrails
August 13th, 2016, 18:51
I'll add a section in the module creation guide about this. To make sure I've got it right, this is roughly what I'll say;

"Images that are linked in NPC entries should be placed in the Images list (usually in their own tab/group) and then the link dragged to the NPC description text."

Though hopefully I'll come up with better text than that in the next half-hour.

Myrdin Potter
August 13th, 2016, 19:01
I think that you need the images, or a copy, in the images folder of the campaign that you want to latter turn into a module. If you plan on distributing the module later the images and everything needs to be in the right folder set. You then need to use that image to make a new link.

For the advice on making a module with your "monsters module" that is the suggested approach (make a campaign with monsters only) then you should specific that you need to drag the monsters over to the main NPC tab for the campaign from the library list, not from tab to tab in the NPC list. You also should warn that if you have images of the monsters in your monster campaign that you include in the monster stats via a link, that you will have to re-add the images to the campaign and delink them to the NPC as well.

I am a little unclear about what happens with the tokens. I made tokens for the new monsters and I wonder what happens to them if I send the final module to a new person.

LordEntrails
August 13th, 2016, 19:17
Right, for a self-contained adventure module everything has to be directly in the campaign file that that you are creating the module from. Except maybe tokens, I don't have a good understanding of tokens yet.

Trenloe
August 13th, 2016, 19:26
Except maybe tokens, I don't have a good understanding of tokens yet.
The last time I tested this, tokens were a little bit weird. If you use a token from a token module it appeared that in future, as long as the GM had the token module then the tokens would be available even if the module was not activated. I tested with letters and the standard FG supplied top-down tokens. Now, whether this also applies to tokens in general modules (i.e. not just a token module, but an adventure with some tokens) I don't know. Perhaps someone can test it?

Myrdin Potter
August 13th, 2016, 19:26
I am always a big fan of making things like where the images have to be and the consequences of the choice of making a "monsters module" as clear as possible in guides. The people that will read the guides are people like me doing it the first time. Once we get it right once or twice from following the guide, then it becomes more second nature.

Myrdin Potter
August 13th, 2016, 19:29
The last time I tested this, tokens were a little bit weird. If you use a token from a token module it appeared that in future, as long as the GM had the token module then the tokens would be available even if the module was not activated. I tested with letters and the standard FG supplied top-down tokens. Now, whether this also applies to tokens in general modules (i.e. not just a token module, but an adventure with some tokens) I don't know. Perhaps someone can test it?

That is my question. The tokens show up for me but they are in my tokens folder. What happens to them if I send it to someone that does not already have the tokens there? Do I need to make a tokens folder and module? Does the process of making a campaign into a module grab the tokens and they are in the module file and thus work?

Trenloe
August 13th, 2016, 19:32
ThaWhat happens to them if I send it to someone that does not already have the tokens there? Do I need to make a tokens folder and module? Does the process of making a campaign into a module grab the tokens and they are in the module file and thus work?
I suggest you test this yourself. Have a look at the token links within the module - they should end with @<module name>, so you will be able to see which module the tokens are coming from. If they are referencing the local module, look for the token files within the actual module (usually in a "tokens" directory). If the @<module name> is referencing another module, see if you can access the tokens from the base module with or without the other module activated.

Myrdin Potter
August 13th, 2016, 19:47
Ok, more learning by doing. I will download something to look at the XML and dig through it to see what I can figure out. The whole point of me doing this conversion is to learn things like this. The community here is super helpful.

I even have tried to give back a little by writing up a guide on starting playing.

https://mgpotter.com/getting-started-playing-dd-5e-using-fantasy-grounds-virtual-tabletop-program/

kylania
August 13th, 2016, 20:45
I even have tried to give back a little by writing up a guide on starting playing.

You should mention for new DMs you can get a 30 day free trial of Ultimate.

Also, during the last part screenshots of what you're talking about would go a long way.

---
Question in general, are we able to inline images in Story entries as Smiteworks has done with Tome of Beasts yet?

Myrdin Potter
August 14th, 2016, 01:45
You should mention for new DMs you can get a 30 day free trial of Ultimate.

Also, during the last part screenshots of what you're talking about would go a long.

I do actually mention the quit before a month way to try the ultimate license out for free in my write-up.

I am going to write two intro DM posts as well. One just starting and one discussing what to do to use adventures you already have (will focus on the encounters, not the whole adventure).

LordEntrails
August 14th, 2016, 03:46
Here's a very rough draft of a guide I'm writing up about tokens. It's to complement the module creation guide. You'll see a new thread when this is ready for first version. But given you are struggling with this now I wanted to give you what I had in case it helps.

This is a guide to help people understand best practices for token creation and setup. Map usage is not addressed as it is well covered in the referenced Wiki article below.
Note; some rulesets may not include all of the capabilities mentioned below.
Understanding Token ArchitectureTokens are accessed through the Token Box which is opened via the “Token” icon.
GM can see all tokens. Players can only see Shared tokens
Sharing tokens:
Token Locations & TypesGM Tokens are accessible to the GM in all campaigns and are stored in the <FG_Data>\tokens\host folder.
Shared Tokens are accessible to all users in all campaigns and are stored in the <FG_Data>\tokens\shared folder. The number of tokens located in this folder should be minimized because all tokens loaded in this folder will be synchronized to every player upon each connection to the GM.
Module Tokens are activated via the Library > Modules and are then available to the GM in the Token Box and are stored in the <FG_Data>\modules\<module_name>\tokens module file.
Ruleset Tokens are accessible to the GM in all campaigns using a specific ruleset and are stored in the
GM Campaign Tokens are accessible to the GM in the active campaign only and are stored in the <FG_Data>\campaign\<campaign_name>\tokens\host folder.
Shared Campaign Tokens are accessible to the GM in the active campaign only and are stored in the <FG_Data>\campaign\<campaign_name>\tokens\shared folder.
Sub-folders can be used within any of the token folders for organization.
OtherPNG format for best transparency support, 50x50 recommended (64x64 also commonly used).For PC’s or NPC’s, always add the tokens to the map from the Combat Tracker (or through automation of pre-placed counters from an Encounter when it is added to the Combat Tracker).
All tokens from a single faction (friendly, neutral, enemy) can be added to the map from the Combat Tracker at once by dragging the Faction icon from the Combat Tracker to the map.
If making a self-contained module, the tokens must be exported with the module by….
For self-use, tokens can be…
Tokens are exported with a module if one (or more) of the following are present:

Tokens are exported when they are linked to some other FG entity you exported. These are usually NPC or Encounter entries exported with the module. This is probably the reason why you only saw 13 out of 25 tokens - as only the 13 tokens were attached to something that was exported.
You manually drag the tokens to the "Exported Tokens" section of the Module Export window.
You put the tokens you want exporting into a \tokens directory within your module making campaign - use exactly the same hierarchy, e.g. tokens\host, tokens\shared, etc.. All of the tokens in the <campaign>\tokens directory will be exported with the module.
I'm not sure everyone knows this but if you have the same folder name at the same level in both tokens/share and tokens/host in the Token box they are combined into one pouch.
https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/archive/index.php/t-25138.html

Token Modules
https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/archive/index.php/t-21396.html
The search function will work on any bags you have open. In other words if you have 50 bags open with 100 tokens in each and type in 'Goblin' it will find all the tokens marked goblin in all of the bags you have open. There isn't a need therefore to have them all in one bag to search.
https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/archive/index.php/t-22497.html

Only tokens in the campaign\tokens folder will be exported when the campaign is exported to a module, and only if either; a) another exported object (story or NPC entry) links to the token, or b) the token is manually dragged to the export window during campaign export.
Resources/ReferencesFG Wiki: Tokens (https://www.fantasygrounds.com/wiki/index.php/Tokens)
Edits13 Aug 16 –

Myrdin Potter
August 14th, 2016, 05:39
I think that i have it all working in one file now. I asked permission to send in to a couple of people for testing, if I get that permission I will reach out to a few to see if it works on their system as well and get some feedback.

One thing I noticed when opening in another campaign that already has a module, the tabs get messed up. I think I will need to number name the tabs as well.

Thanks for the help so far. I cannot figure out how to build a magic item yet, so that is the next topic for me to delve into.

Myrdin Potter
August 20th, 2016, 18:58
I received permission and sent out my file for some comments. :-)

My next question is on how to make text like the spell services list in the Adventurers League modules look good. In Word, I would probably just use a table and not show the lines. I can't figure out how the "table" format works when you try and apply it to text that was cut and pasted into FG.

I also am not sure how to get multiple paragraph text appear in one text box that can be clicked and put into the chat window. I always end up with multiple blocks of text. Is there some line feed character is should be using instead of a paragraph character when I clean up the PDF text?

LordEntrails
August 20th, 2016, 19:27
I received permission and sent out my file for some comments. :-)

My next question is on how to make text like the spell services list in the Adventurers League modules look good. In Word, I would probably just use a table and not show the lines. I can't figure out how the "table" format works when you try and apply it to text that was cut and pasted into FG.

There is a limited set of formatting you can do. I think you'll have to cut and paste the text of each cell individually. Or look at Par5E for creating it. I'm not real sure though, maybe you can provide screen shots of what you want and what you are getting?

I also am not sure how to get multiple paragraph text appear in one text box that can be clicked and put into the chat window. I always end up with multiple blocks of text. Is there some line feed character is should be using instead of a paragraph character when I clean up the PDaf text?
I know you can't do this through the UI. You might be able to do it in Par5E or through hand coding the xml. But I've never done it. I just go ahead and make them separate entries to the chat. I prefer that anyway as I find my players won't read multiple paragraph entries. But if I give them two or three, even with only a few seconds between them, they will.

Myrdin Potter
August 20th, 2016, 22:36
Cntrl-tab when done at the right place in each tab seems ok so far. Can't figure out exactly what cntrl - and cntrl + are exactly supposed to do (add and subtract cells). Tables are pretty basic but managed to get the simple formatting I wanted to do done.

Myrdin Potter
August 20th, 2016, 23:36
Making encounters for two maps (DM and Player)?

Do you just keep both map files open and drag the monsters over while holding control twice - once for each map?

LordEntrails
August 20th, 2016, 23:47
If I have a DM map (and I almost always have so far) then I only add the links to the DM map. Since the player map has the tokens on it, I find pins just get in the way since I already have the low resolution DM map open elsewhere.

Myrdin Potter
August 20th, 2016, 23:55
I mean the tokens from the encounter. I assume you only put them into the player map?

I usually have the player map open on my center screen and I like the pins there. I just use the DM map to indicate secret doors and such.

LordEntrails
August 21st, 2016, 02:27
Yes, the tokens are only added to the player map, as you can only have the CT tokens active on one map at a time. i.e. if you drag the tokens from the CT onto a second map, they will disappear from the first map.

Myrdin Potter
August 26th, 2016, 21:50
LordEntrails sent me a detailed critique. The main issue is tokens do not seem to be transferring so I am doing something wrong. Will have to research that further and see what I am doing wrong.

Myrdin Potter
August 27th, 2016, 05:28
EXPORTING TOKENS:

So, if I make a "scarred lands" monster module and then I drag the monsters into my "Gauntlets of Spiragos" campaign NPC list and then export the completed module, the tokewns do not appear to be coming over. Lord Entrails checked my file and no tokens for the new monsters even though I created tokens for all of them.

If I drag the actual token from a token bag, I get the error of "only non-module tokens can be exported".

So what exactly do I need to do here? It looks fine on my screen as I have the tokens on my computer. How do I make the tokens go with the monsters in the export?

Zacchaeus
August 27th, 2016, 08:31
The tokens need to be in your tokens bag when you export the module. Unless you created the NPC's in par5e and joined them up there.

Myrdin Potter
August 27th, 2016, 14:39
The NPC were all created in FG itself in their own campaign. Tokens are in the host/shared bag. I created a module from that campaign. And dragged each monster to the adventure campaign's NPC list. Finally created a module with the adventure in it.

Which bag in particular do the tokens have to be in?

Trenloe
August 27th, 2016, 15:09
Cntrl-tab when done at the right place in each tab seems ok so far. Can't figure out exactly what cntrl - and cntrl + are exactly supposed to do (add and subtract cells). Tables are pretty basic but managed to get the simple formatting I wanted to do done.
Table shortcut keys listed here: https://www.fantasygrounds.com/wiki/index.php/The_Basics#Formatted_Text_Fields

And, if you're interested in hand coding the XML, see the "Internal Representation" section here: https://www.fantasygrounds.com/wiki/index.php/The_Basics#Formatted_Text_Fields

Zacchaeus
August 27th, 2016, 15:10
Not in the shared bag.

You can create a folder in the top level of the tokens folder and call it whatever you like and put the tokens in there. You'll need to relink then if you move them from where they are now.

Trenloe
August 27th, 2016, 15:16
The NPC were all created in FG itself in their own campaign. Tokens are in the host/shared bag. I created a module from that campaign. And dragged each monster to the adventure campaign's NPC list. Finally created a module with the adventure in it.

Which bag in particular do the tokens have to be in?
As the error you got suggests, you can't export tokens from one token module into another module. If you use tokens from one module in another the link to the original module will be included in the NPC so you will need the original tokens module installed and active for this link to work.

If you want to include tokens with the base module you export, then you will need to have each individual graphics file in your \tokens\host directory structure and not within a module. Then add these tokens to the NPCs and any used tokens should export with the module.

Zacchaeus
August 27th, 2016, 15:27
As the error you got suggests, you can't export tokens from one token module into another module. If you use tokens from one module in another the link to the original module will be included in the NPC so you will need the original tokens module installed and active for this link to work.

If you want to include tokens with the base module you export, then you will need to have each individual graphics file in your \tokens\host directory structure and not within a module. Then add these tokens to the NPCs and any used tokens should export with the module.

On this point, Trenloe will the tokens export if the folder is in the top level of the directory; i.e. not in the host folder but simply in a folder in tokens/MyFolder

Myrdin Potter
August 27th, 2016, 15:33
I assume I will need to redo all the encounters, then, and essentially redo all the monsters again?

I was following the advice of creating monsters in a separate campaign and then exporting as a module for ease of reuse of monsters.

When I export the final product, the adventure I was converting over, the tokens I created seem to need to be recreated for each monster in the new campaign? Hard for me to test as I, of course, have the monster campaign and tokens on my computer. I have the monsters module closed and I have no errors in tokens.

Trenloe
August 27th, 2016, 15:35
On this point, Trenloe will the tokens export if the folder is in the top level of the directory; i.e. not in the host folder but simply in a folder in tokens/MyFolder
FG won't read from such a folder. So, no, you this won't work as you won't be able to add these tokens to a NPC or encounter as FG won't show the tokens in the first place.

Trenloe
August 27th, 2016, 15:40
I assume I will need to redo all the encounters, then, and essentially redo all the monsters again?
As far as tokens go, yes.

I was following the advice of creating monsters in a separate campaign and then exporting as a module for ease of reuse of monsters.
Ease of re-use within a campaign yes, but not for creating an all-in-one module. Any data needs to be within the campaign before you export - not in the campaign by linking to module data/tokens.

When I export the final product, the adventure I was converting over, the tokens I created seem to need to be recreated for each monster in the new campaign? Hard for me to test as I, of course, have the monster campaign and tokens on my computer. I have the monsters module closed and I have no errors in tokens.
To test, temporarily rename your .mod module files to .mod.temp or something and then restart Fantasy Grounds. You also might want to search through your resulting module db.xml for links - these will have a @ sign. The ones internal to the module will be @<module name>, look for links that don't point to itself.

Zacchaeus
August 27th, 2016, 15:40
The steps you should be taking are as follows (If I am understanding your problem accurately).
1) Create your monster module; complete with tokens and everything else to do with the monster
2) Export this module
3) Start a new campaign, open up he monsters module that you created.
4) If you use a monster from the module you created drag it firstly into the NPCs dialog, then into the encounter. This will copy over the monster from the monster mod you created.
5) Export your created mod. Because you copied the monsters they will all be in your new mod complete with everything that they came with.

You can also create a mod with just the tokens in it if you want to use the tokens for something else. But that's another story altogether.

Zacchaeus
August 27th, 2016, 15:43
FG won't read from such a folder. So, no, you this won't work as you won't be able to add these tokens to a NPC or encounter as FG won't show the tokens in the first place.

Ah, ok. Jolly good. When I created SKT I put the tokens in a folder called SKT within the host folder and so when it exported the tokens are in Tokens/SKT/Host/SKT. Someone was wondering why; and that's the reason.

Trenloe
August 27th, 2016, 15:44
The steps you should be taking are as follows (If I am understanding your problem accurately).
1) Create your monster module; complete with tokens and everything else to do with the monster
2) Export this module
3) Start a new campaign, open up he monsters module that you created.
4) If you use a monster from the module you created drag it firstly into the NPCs dialog, then into the encounter. This will copy over the monster from the monster mod you created.
5) Export your created mod. Because you copied the monsters they will all be in your new mod complete with everything that they came with.
This will not export the NPC token to the new module, because the tokens are not immediately accessible by the campaign outside of a module. Step 4 copies the NPC data, but the token is not copied and remains as a <token> reference to the original module. Hence why the tokens need to be in the \token\host (or shared) directory and added directly to the NPC and/or encounter within the campaign before exporting.

Zacchaeus
August 27th, 2016, 15:55
This will not export the NPC token to the new module, because the tokens are not immediately accessible by the campaign outside of a module. Step 4 copies the NPC data, but the token is not copied and remains as a <token> reference to the original module. Hence why the tokens need to be in the \token\host (or shared) directory and added directly to the NPC and/or encounter within the campaign before exporting.

Ah, ok. At step 1 I'm assuming that this is all being created in par5e with autolinking of the tokens. My bad.

Trenloe
August 27th, 2016, 16:09
Ah, ok. At step 1 I'm assuming that this is all being created in par5e with autolinking of the tokens. My bad.
I don't think that PAR5E will get around this - if it is linking to tokens in modules then you'll need those modules installed to be able to use the tokens (as it is the link to the other module that is embedded in the new module). I'm not aware of PAR5E copying over tokens from existing modules into the newly created module?

The issue we have here is that Myrdin is trying to create an all-in-one module that doesn't rely on content from any other module - thus making it stand alone. As the original NPCs are located in a module, when they are copied to the module making campaign (drag/drop from library to campaign NPCs) the token is not copied, only a reference link to the original module.

Zacchaeus
August 27th, 2016, 16:23
Right. I see now. I was misunderstanding completely what he was trying to achieve and confusing parsing with exporting. Just ignore me today. ��

Myrdin Potter
August 27th, 2016, 16:53
I'll see if I can get the tokens to work this morning.

Thanks for the help and suggestions, I am sure if you look carefully enough there is documentation somewhere on this. Many of the "production" module converters use par5e, I wanted to use the built in tools first and then learn par5e as from what I could tell par5e really shines when you're adding extra "rules" like character archetypes and I was not doing that.

The module I was working on (picked because I backed the Kickstarter and the actual module was free) was meant to help me learn (it has new monsters but not new spells or character classes or anything like that). I may even have spurred a little more interest in the publisher in doing more of an effort to get the new material converted over to FG.

Myrdin Potter
August 28th, 2016, 20:03
Well, I either finally got the tokens to work or I am being placated to stop the resulting explosion from triggering the Hayward fault and taking most of the East Bay with me.

If you are trying to do a stand alone module, you need all token pictures in your new campaign directory and if you are dragging monsters over from a module you made to make the monsters, you need to drag each token in your new campaign onto the NPC. I dragged each token into the token box at the bottom of the module creation control. That seemed to work.

If you are just planning on running the adventure on your own PC that has the monsters module, then the links will work. Really depends on how portable and standalone you need it to be.

Since I often use a laptop or my desktop depending on if I am traveling or not, more portable is better for me.

Now I just need to finish off the rest of Lord Entrails suggestions....

Trenloe
August 28th, 2016, 20:18
I dragged each token into the token box at the bottom of the module creation control.
You don't need to do this if the token is linked to a NPC or Encounter that you are exporting - FG will automatically export the token image file into the resulting module (if the token was added to the module making campaign from a local image file, not a module). The facility to manually add tokens in the module export window is there to allow you to create a token module, or add some other tokens that aren't used within the module and will be available for use from the module token bag when the module is activated.

Myrdin Potter
September 2nd, 2016, 02:42
I actually have the module close enough that it might be published. I do want to see if I can create the two magic items in it so they are automated, but I am not 100% certain where to start.

These are the items:

Magic weapon

The serrated blade of this foul weapon is made of some strange, blackened metal. Its handle is made of sweat darkened skin, perhaps crafted from human flesh, and the tarnished silver pommel is a stylized, twisting spider.

Weapon (shortsword) , rare, requires attunement

You have a +1 bonus to attack rolls and damage rolls for attacks you make with this magic weapon; despite being the size of a typical shortsword, it can be wielded without penalty by anyone proficient with either a shortsword or a dagger.
If you apply poison to the weapon, that poison’s saving throw DC increases by 2.
Once per day, you can use a bonus action to cause thick, black poison to coat the blade. The poison remains for 1 minute or until you hit with an attack using this weapon. When you hit a creature with the poisoned weapon, the target must make a DC 15 Constitution saving throw. On a failed save, the target becomes poisoned for 1 minute and takes 11 (2d10) poison damage.

The Magic Weapon can be destroyed only by submerging it in holy water for 33 days and then melting it in the fiery heart’s-blood of a thulkan.

Magic Ring

This black band is shaped like a spider, four of its legs extending around to either side and joining on the opposite side of the wearer’s finger. Its eyes are tiny emeralds.

Ring , rare, requires attunement

You must be a druid, sorcerer, or warlock to become attuned to this ring. If you are a druid, then starting at 5th level, you can use your wild shape feature to transform into a giant spider. If you are a druid, sorcerer, or warlock, while you wear this ring, you gain the following:

Spells
. You add bestow curse, spider climb, and web to the list of spells you know or have prepared.

Spider Friend
. Three times per day, you can cast the charm monster spell (save DC 13) without using any components. This spell targets only spiders, whether normal or of the giant variety, and monsters that are spider-like in nature.

Virulence
. Whenever you cast a spell that deals poison damage or imposes the poisoned condition, the saving throw DC of that spell increases by 1, if applicable.Web Walker
. You ignore movement restrictions caused by webbing.

The Magic Ring can be destroyed only if sundered by a solar or a good-aligned demigod or deity.

I own the DM'S Guide and I know it has a "forge" that might automate it a little. Do you need to have the DMs Guide to run "forged" items?

Where do you start to make a magic item?

Zacchaeus
September 2nd, 2016, 05:42
In Items. Click on new item and fill in the dialog. Most of it will appear in the final box. See the Wiki for more details on creative new items (I'd provide a link but can't with this thing). You can also link any spells used or available here as well.
A couple of other points; make sure you fill in the non id name and description boxes and also give it rhe Magic tag in properties.

Myrdin Potter
September 2nd, 2016, 06:19
I did read the wiki but it did not help so much. I bet it is like several other parts of this process where only getting something done even if wrong helps.

I made some gems in the module already and not 100% sure I got them right.

Myrdin Potter
September 3rd, 2016, 21:38
OK, let's see if I got this right.

To create a magic shortsword, I first create an item. I name it, then I fill in the template. It is a Weapon, Martial Weapon. By using those types, I get damage and bonus to fill in. In this case 1d6 piercing. I also have to add properties of Finesse, light and magic and each of those is comma delineated. If I did nothing else, if the weapon is dragged to the action tab, it would automatically add the +1 to hit and the +1 to the damage. I do not need to set the damage as 1d6+1 as the bonus is also applied? Also if the target needs to be hit by a magic item, the magic property applies. I do not need to add magic to the damage properties as well?

Then, if all of that is right, the descriptions field allows you to type effects into it?

If so, I need to create an effect that lasts for 1 minute or next hit. If hit, then DC 15 con save. If save failed, then 2d10 poison damage and apply effect poisoned for 1 minute?

As long as I use the effects keywords and syntax, that also will be an action created by dragging the weapon to the action tab.

Then I can put the non-rules description and colour into the description field as well?

Zacchaeus
September 3rd, 2016, 22:12
Here's a screen shot of your weapon; hopefully you can make it all out and see what you need to do.

The effects which will make the weapon 'work' (other than the magic damage and the +1 to hit and damage) will need to be created in the actions. Guidance on how to create effects can be found here (https://www.fantasygrounds.com/wiki/index.php/5E_Effects). You can't create the effects on the weapon itself and it won't matter what the description it won't be picked up anywhere and create the effects for you.

Myrdin Potter
September 3rd, 2016, 22:19
I had the effects wiki page up and was puzzling through it. I am used to building formulas in spreadsheets, and once upon a time I could program in Applesoft BASIC and PASCAL and even a little C and 6502 assembler ....

So there is no way as a module creator I could have the poison blade ability follow the weapon? It needs to be created as a separate action on the PC character sheet, much like class abilities or spells?

To create a new "power" takes par5e or hand coding the XML, right?

This is what I had typed out before the email saying there was a new post showed up: SAVE: 15 [CON] ; DMG: 2d10 poison ; poisoned

Zacchaeus
September 3rd, 2016, 22:56
Yes it needs to be set up as a power. And no you can't attach it to the weapon. No par5e can't set up a new power. You can do pre generated characters in par5e but I don't know if you can add effects to such a thing. Effects are attached to the character sheet not anything else. It is really up to the character's owner or the GM to set up effects not the module creator.

Trenloe
September 3rd, 2016, 23:03
I'd just add a note "Use in Fantasy Grounds" or something similar to the bottom of the item description to let people know how you recommend they'd set the item up. I'm doing this for a commercial module conversion I'm doing at present.

Myrdin Potter
September 3rd, 2016, 23:35
I was going to do a combination of what Zacchaeus did and what you suggest. I'll make my own screen shot of the finished action and describe and link it in the module. I'll do the same thing for the ring where I will suggest that the spells be dragged to the character sheet.

Surprisingly enough, I have gone from never trying to create a module to converting one over well enough that it might be accepted by the original publisher and show up in the store here. And I am not quite some to where I want it to be, stubborn accountant is still plugging away.

I figure I got a little extra help from the two of you because of the way I spell colour and armour.

:-)

Trenloe
September 4th, 2016, 00:21
I figure I got a little extra help from the two of you because of the way I spell colour and armour.
It certainly didn't hurt. :D

Myrdin Potter
November 14th, 2016, 04:49
So with the new 3.2 version, the NPC's I created are in the "none" tab (unassigned) when I open the module. Should I create a new named tab and move them over to it?

damned
November 14th, 2016, 05:06
So with the new 3.2 version, the NPC's I created are in the "none" tab (unassigned) when I open the module. Should I create a new named tab and move them over to it?

Yes - generally that would be the best way to do it.

Trenloe
November 14th, 2016, 05:24
Think of the "none" group as the previous first category tab at the bottom left of the data list. It's really up to you how you use it. If you're fine having general records in the "none" group then leave them there. If you want to categorise them or allow for viewing records in a specific group, then add them to a group. Use it how you want to. There's probably not much point making named groups for one or two records, so you may find that leaving a few records in "none" works for you.

Myrdin Potter
November 14th, 2016, 06:21
And in "Story", groups are really just the former tabs across the bottom. You still need to use some form of numbering system otherwise it sorts in alphabetical order? You can look at each group as a tab for a section or chapter? Group names are sorted alphabetically, so use numbers in from if you want them to appear in a set order in the drop down?

Trenloe
November 14th, 2016, 06:47
As far as grpup names go you need to look at this from the perspective of having lots of modules open. Module developers should not try to prioritize their modules over others by using numerical prefix in the group name as it could end up with a complete mess and different module groups being scattered around. I'd recommend using a short abbreviation for the module at the beginning of the group names, than a part/section number if there are multiple groups within a module and finally a short description for the individual group. This will keep all the module groups together in the group selection drop down, ordered by part number/the desired order and also have space for a relevant description.

For example, for Storm King's Thunder:

SKT - 00 - Table of Contents
SKT - 01 - Introduction
SKT - 02 - Ch. 1: A Great Upheaval
SKT - 03 - Ch. 2: Rumblings

And so on...

Myrdin Potter
November 14th, 2016, 07:17
That is good practice. Will look at the new template version tomorrow and see if that helps automate the process or if I need to type the prefix each time. I have been cutting and pasting the Gumshoe SRD in as a test and now I will go through the module I made when I was asking these questions and put a prefix in for all the entries. Will look at SKT and see what other good practices I should follow.

Myrdin Potter
December 5th, 2016, 22:22
Can you pick and choose which tables and/or items get saved? I am thinking of slowly entering all the tables from a book of treasure tables and might want to release each table on its own or as a bundle (sort of like the classes in the PHB).

Trenloe
December 5th, 2016, 22:28
Can you pick and choose which tables and/or items get saved? I am thinking of slowly entering all the tables from a book of treasure tables and might want to release each table on its own or as a bundle (sort of like the classes in the PHB).
Drag/drop individual records to the module export window. See Modules Export -> Exported Data: https://www.fantasygrounds.com/wiki/index.php/Library#Module_Export

Myrdin Potter
December 6th, 2016, 05:51
"Also, individual record shortcuts can be dragged onto this list from the campaign data windows to provide more granular export"

So if I have 200 items for a table, I need to drag and drop each one individually? I cannot drag and drop a group?

If I made a campaign for each table with all the individual data for that table in the campaign, can I later stitch together 10 campaigns (all one table with story entries, items and parcels) to make one master book?

Trenloe
December 6th, 2016, 06:05
You need to drag each record, groups don't have any drag functionality at all.

If your XML editing skills are up to it you could stitch a campaign together. The big issue would be changing the id-XXXXX child record ID's and any associated references. I don't think it would save you any time - and cause you lots of headaches.

Myrdin Potter
December 6th, 2016, 06:20
I guess I can copy my existing campaign with the current table (copy and rename the entire directory) and then develop in the new folder and at least the original table is untouched. Or just do 10 campaigns, one for each table, and then see if I can copy (and not need a module) all the data into one master campaign like you can copy NPC.

Trenloe
December 6th, 2016, 06:34
Or just do 10 campaigns, one for each table, and then see if I can copy (and not need a module) all the data into one master campaign like you can copy NPC.
As I said above: "The big issue would be changing the id-XXXXX child record ID's and any associated references." Campaign data is referenced with an unique ID number - e.g. tables.id-00001, tables.id-00002, etc.. The first you create is id-00001, the second id-00002, etc.. So, across multiple campaigns there would be clashes of this id number - and it's key to have FG works, including link references. So, to merge data from two campaigns together you can't just copy/paste a bunch of data - you need to rename all of the id-XXXXX records so that there are no clashes within an FG section (encounter, battle, item, tables, etc.) and then you'd have to go and change all of the links that reference those records you've just changed. Lots of work and plenty of opportunity for things to get messed up.

You could export 10 different modules (from 10 different module making campaigns) - but all with the same Group name. FG would merge these records into one group in the data lists - but you would have to open all of the modules.

Or, bite the bullet and do them all in one module making campaign and export as one module. Do lots of backups of the campaign!

damned
December 6th, 2016, 13:00
You could export your module.
Open in new campaign.
Drag the tables you want as set 1 into the campaign and then export them.
Delete them and do set 2.

Myrdin Potter
December 6th, 2016, 14:20
The thing is that the table has 100 entries with is a link to 100 story entries. There are 100 parcels (one for exact story) and close to 200 new items.

There is only one table, but Trenloe said there is no way other than individual drag and drop to get all the other elements into it.

Trenloe
December 6th, 2016, 16:52
There is only one table, but Trenloe said there is no way other than individual drag and drop to get all the other elements into it.
Err, I think you're getting confused here. I said you needed to use individual drag/drop in reply to you asking about picking and choosing specific records to export to a module. If you want "all the other elements" in a module just do a normal module export.

If you're using a campaign just to create a module then doing a normal export should be fine.

Maybe you should re-state what you're actually trying to do here?

Trenloe
December 6th, 2016, 17:00
You could export your module.
Open in new campaign.
Drag the tables you want as set 1 into the campaign and then export them.
Delete them and do set 2.
This won't work in this case, as there are links within the table. When the module is created the links in the table will contain the module reference, e.g. @My Module. This module reference remains within the links when the table is copied from the module to the campaign - so the copied table within the campaign will only work if the original module is available, as the links refer to that module. Copying over the referenced records doesn't change the table link references.

Myrdin Potter
December 6th, 2016, 21:14
I had originally wanted all the content to go into the table entry, but I cannot put a chat box into the table. I could have, I guess, put all the final story entry into the table result, searching and replacing all the [] before and once it output to story just cntrl-3 the top paragraph. I still would have had a parcel link and each parcel contains one or more items.

To more fully explain what I wanted to do.

This is a commercial product that I am entering into FG for my use. I would approach the IP owners to make the result of my work available (sell) to others using whatever arrangement they already have (some of their products are already in the store).

The pickpocket table is useful in and of itself and the items actually can be reused as well. So I had the idea of offering just that table or each individual table as a store item and also a bundle of all the tables in one module.

The issue is that there are 100 story entries per table. Each needs to be exported individually if I want just one table in the module. Plus each parcel. Plus each item that is in the parcel (which is close to two hundred items). That is 400 individual drag and drops since I cannot take the shortcut of dragging a whole group.

See my dilemma?

Trenloe
December 6th, 2016, 22:40
Yes, I see your dilemma, and there is no simple solution. I've already covered the options in post #86 (https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?33525-5e-adventure-creation-learning-by-doing-questions&p=305774&viewfull=1#post305774). You're going to have to work around it/adjust your expectations/process I'm afraid. Or end up doing a crap load of XML editing (not recommended at all - especially in this case with all of the links you'd have to manually change).

LordEntrails
December 7th, 2016, 03:05
What about putting them all into one capaign. Then export to a module. Then copy the module, edit the xml and remove all the items EXCEPT for the one module set you want? That way you will have all the unique ID's, but you won't have merge problems.

Given that you can delete items and I don't think FG has a problem with missing/skipped ID numbers, you should be ok.

Trenloe
December 7th, 2016, 05:01
What about putting them all into one capaign. Then export to a module. Then copy the module, edit the xml and remove all the items EXCEPT for the one module set you want?
Yep.

Or, manually drag/drop the table you want into the Export window, but select the other records as a whole (tick the check box for the other records). You'll be overloaded with all the extra stuff, but this won't get in the way of the one table you have. It'll only be an issue if you start exploring the campaign lists.

Myrdin Potter
December 7th, 2016, 05:11
Yep.

Or, manually drag/drop the table you want into the Export window, but select the other records as a whole (tick the check box for the other records). You'll be overloaded with all the extra stuff, but this won't get in the way of the one table you have. It'll only be an issue if you start exploring the campaign lists.

The resulting module would have all the extra parcels and items and story entries, over and above the table which would use a subset of the information. The table itself is trivial work, the real value is in the stories that has the text from the book and all the created items.

Will have to see how much work Lord Entrail's suggestion would be.

The tables is just 100 links to story entries, no big deal.

Myrdin Potter
December 11th, 2016, 01:24
I am going through and updating items I created from Adventuring Gear (Standard) to Treasure (Art Objects) or (Gemstones) to follow better the convention in the DM's Guide. No extensions loaded. Every once and a while I get this error:

"Script Error: [string "campaign/scripts/item_main.lua"]:27: attempt to index field '?' (a function value)"

The change I am making does seem to take.

Happens every 5 or 6 edits I make.

Any idea what I am doing wrong?

Myrdin Potter
January 30th, 2017, 14:54
My first conversion, Gauntlet of Spiragos, which spawned this thread and all my questions, can be found here:

https://www.fantasygrounds.com/store/product.xcp?id=NLFG5EGOS

Bidmaron
January 30th, 2017, 16:57
Which vendor did the original?

Myrdin Potter
January 30th, 2017, 20:01
Onyx Path/Nocturnal. You can download the pdf for free from drivethrurpg. It is the intro adventure to the new Scarred Lands setting and was offered during the Kickstarter which is why the price is set at .99 I bet.

Zhern
February 1st, 2017, 16:36
Nice, good job!

Myrdin Potter
July 3rd, 2017, 22:13
Ok, now I am converting over a adventure seed book to FG. It is a huge book of tables, so I am learning story templates.

One set of tables seems problematic for templates, unless I am missing something. There are 4 categories of the basis for the potential adventure and each generates a different set of results. One, the "individual" result has two potential sub-categories. The others just have one.

Since there does not seem to be a way to build or hide the static content dynamically, it would appear that I need to generate something that links to the 5 different templates, the user then clicks that template and generates off of it.

Is there something more detailed explaining templates other than the wiki here?

Myrdin Potter
July 3rd, 2017, 22:36
One of the tables is single column, 1,000 entries. If there a way to parse the text into a rollable table and then bring that table into an existing campaign?

Zacchaeus
July 3rd, 2017, 22:59
There's this.
https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?37400-Video-on-Story-Templates

For your second question you can create a table in par5e, then open the module in the campaign and make a copy of it. Then close the original module. You can then export along with the rest of the campaign.

Myrdin Potter
July 3rd, 2017, 23:20
I just finished watching that video, it was quite informative.

I will look at the instructions for par5e just for generating rollable tables so I do not need to cut and paste 1,000 times.

I think I will need to make one table to call the 5 possible templates and then use that template. Does the user need to click generate once the template link comes out? I don't see. I have information available on calling story templates.

Zacchaeus
July 4th, 2017, 00:31
If you are using templates you'll need to find a way to not call child tables otherwise the results won't look good. In other words you don't want to be fetching results from a table that's taking results from another table. Kind of depends on what it is you are doing and what your final end product needs to be.

Myrdin Potter
July 4th, 2017, 00:54
I think I will give the reader the choice (since I am making this for a computer). They can either get a result for all the categories all on one template or get a result as if they were rolling on the tables in the book and following each table and taking notes. If they choose the first one, then one master template. If they chose the second then there are only 5 different templates and I will randomly select the right one and generate a link to be clicked more and then they can populate that template.

I am making sure that there are no daughter tables for the template use.

I am now forced to learn a little par5e, I guess. Or lose feeling in my fingers cutting and pasting 1,000 items.

Thanks, as always, for your help.

Myrdin Potter
July 4th, 2017, 08:23
How does:

CTRL+PLUS - Increase column width of table cell by one.
CTRL+MINUS - Decrease column width of table cell by one.

work with formatted tables in story entries? I press them in cells and nothing happens.

Zacchaeus
July 4th, 2017, 09:25
It should. You need to have at least two cells for it to work I think. Just have the cursor in the cell you want to expand and press CTRL+

Myrdin Potter
July 4th, 2017, 15:02
It does nothing when I do it. I have tables with 2-3 columns where the first is "die roll" and I would like to make that column smaller. I click into the cell and press the control key and - and nothing happens.

Zacchaeus
July 4th, 2017, 18:21
It does nothing when I do it. I have tables with 2-3 columns where the first is "die roll" and I would like to make that column smaller. I click into the cell and press the control key and - and nothing happens.

Make the second/third colum wider and the first column will get narrower. You can't make the first colum narrower using the keys.

Myrdin Potter
July 4th, 2017, 18:43
Numeric keypad keys do not work, but main keyboard keys do.

However, I seem to need to do this for every single cell, so if I have a 1000 row table, I need to click 1000 times.

Myrdin Potter
July 4th, 2017, 23:49
Story Templates and nested tables.

Are these to be avoided for the normal reason - no guarantee what will come back first so the order in the template might be messed up or do they break templates for a technical reason?

Zacchaeus
July 5th, 2017, 02:20
If you watched that video you'll see why. You get gaps and empty lines which messes up your display. Basically every roll gets written to the template even if there is no actual output. So the roll to the child table gets output as a blank line.

Myrdin Potter
July 5th, 2017, 02:33
So if there is output which then calls another table for another output, it might be ok? I will do a quick experiment. Thanks!

Myrdin Potter
August 24th, 2017, 20:22
I now am wondering about NPC in modules.

Let us say I want to use Nilbog from Volo's Guide.

I can drag and drop it right from the Volo module to an encounter and I can create a copy and put that copy in the module and strip out the art, token and flavor text (stat block only).

Is there a way I can have FG select Volo's Guide version first so that if you own it you see all the detail and then fallback to the stripped version copied in the module?

Zacchaeus
August 24th, 2017, 21:18
I'm not exactly sure what you are getting at. Are these modules for distribution or for personal use?

Myrdin Potter
August 24th, 2017, 21:21
Distribution in DMs Guild, but a general question as well.

Talyn
August 24th, 2017, 21:21
No but one option is to require Volo's, and then don't bother copying a "stripped" version at all, just use a wildcard link instead (have to do that in the XML). (The assumption here is that this is something intended to be shared or in the store?)

I don't own Volo's so this is a completely fabricated recordname but you'd want something like this:

<link class="npc" recordname="reference.npcdata.nilbog@*">Nilbog</link>
The @* will search all loaded modules and pull up the appropriate entry. Useful for spells, etc. that might be in the SRD, PHB, Class Pack, etc. since you can't specify multiple modules. Far as I can tell, doing that will check its source module first, meaning you'd pull up the "stripped" Nilbog and it would never find the Volos one even if Volos was loaded.
Otherwise you're stuck with just the "stripped" down version you made.

Myrdin Potter
August 24th, 2017, 21:25
DMs Guild rules are kind of special. You can use the official content but not the artwork.

I am making a PDF for sale and want to include a FG mod. The PDF includes some monsters from Volo's and the stat blocks should be fair game under DMs Guild rules, but the art 100% certain is not.

Myrdin Potter
August 24th, 2017, 21:31
The only way I could make it work is to have a mod for the monsters and another mod for the rest of the adventure and hope it searchs Volo first if I use a wildcard.

Zacchaeus
August 24th, 2017, 21:31
As Talyn says a wildcard link will search all open modules until it finds the first instance of the NPC; and that includes the module that contains the link. If you require Volo's then you can just make a direct link since no-one will be able to see anything unless they have that module. So there's no benefit to stripping down the NPC since, again, as Talyn says it will hit the version in the module and will go no further.

Myrdin Potter
August 24th, 2017, 21:35
Or include two mods, one with the adventure and one with the stripped down stat blocks without the offending artwork and figure out how to name it so it searches all the official books first.

Talyn
August 24th, 2017, 21:39
Or just list Volo's as a requirement and do it that way?

Or... use your permissible version but put a "Note to DM's" or something and explain the situation, and tell the DM if she owns the Volos module she can replace your NPC with the Volos one.

Myrdin Potter
August 24th, 2017, 21:50
Any idea what order FG searches modules for NPC when you use a wildcard?

Even for OGL, if the DM owns the MM, always nice to have that version appear first.

Talyn
August 24th, 2017, 21:56
I haven't bothered to test, but it wouldn't surprise me if it sorted in alphabetical order by module name. Ideally, DMs shouldn't have the SRD loaded if they own the PHB but... as we see in the discord every day and via forum threads, too many DMs load every single module they have...

You could easily do a test though with, say a spell that exists in the SRD, in the Basic Rules and in the PHB and see which one comes up...

LordEntrails
August 24th, 2017, 23:23
Personally, I would just copy it from Volo's and remove the artwork. Then in your conversion notes put a comment that x, y, and z can be replaced with versions from Volo's if you would like to include the artwork.

Might be a more elegant solution, and if you find one I will be thrilled, but that's that approach I would take :)

Talyn
August 25th, 2017, 00:25
As would I. That covers all your bases and doesn't limit the adventure to only customers who own Volos, while giving those who do own it a heads-up that they can replace the NPC and have all the artwork.

Myrdin Potter
August 26th, 2017, 14:46
They have to redo all the encounters, though. If I build the encounters with the copied and sparse stat blocks, then doesn't replacing the NPC really mean redoing all the work for the encounters?

Talyn
August 26th, 2017, 14:50
Yes, but it's an adventure so the encounters aren't supposed to be read-only anyway. You could make a sidebar explaining the situation and supply links to all the encounters that use that NPC so the GM has a quick reference right in front of her to edit instead of searching for them one by one.

Myrdin Potter
August 26th, 2017, 16:23
I guess I could also do two encounters, one with the link to Volo and one with the stripped down ones and make it even easier for the DM.