PDA

View Full Version : Giant slaying sword setup?

SirArion
August 6th, 2016, 05:30
Does anyone have an example of how to add a giant slaying sword to a character? I see the effect " IFT: TYPE(giant); DMG: 2d6" in various places I just don't understand how to make a weapon that does that and a prone save on a weapon. If I try and make a power like that it gets odd for the melee attack portion. Pics would be very helpful.

El Condoro
August 6th, 2016, 08:57
I don't think it can be fully automated but this is how I'd do it. Create the weapon as usual. Create the effect - this is clicked when the target is a 'giant' type so that the next roll has 2d6 added to it. It will aslo pick up the correct damage type of the weapon.
So,
Attacking a giant - Attack, if hit, click effect, roll damage
Attacking a non-giant type - Attack, if hit, roll normal damage.
You could set it to Never expire but then every damage roll against a giant would be affected.

SirArion
August 6th, 2016, 19:11
Thanks, confirming you can't do it under a weapon makes me feel better. Thought I was missing something.

How about incorporating the DC 15 STR check for prone? Is that a second effect to be clicked or can that be incorporated somehow?

El Condoro
August 6th, 2016, 23:55
This is how I'd do it - one for the check and another for the effect. AFAIK it can't be automated more but if it can I'd be interested to know how.

SirArion
August 7th, 2016, 00:54
Thanks El Condoro! That's about how I figured it would be after your first post but I just wanted to check. I appreciate the responses.

noxioustaco
December 18th, 2016, 20:48
Don't mean to Necro this, but I am having difficulty figuring out how to do this in the new version.

The windows don't appear to be the same anymore.

Does anyone have new examples?

El Condoro
December 18th, 2016, 22:04
Still works the same for me. I am on 3.2.1

It seems the weapon disappears on the Actions tab if set to Combat - Actions (bottom left of tab). Standard - Actions works.

Zacchaeus
December 18th, 2016, 22:21
Indeed, nothing has changed in the new version. The above still works.

Not sure what you mean by the windows don't appear to be the same; perhaps you could post screen shot if you are still struggling.

noxioustaco
December 20th, 2016, 00:52
OK I figured out why it wasn't looking the same.

1) It does need to be in Combat or Standard mode with Display=Action
2) I wasn't seeing the Magnifying Glass next to the Power I created because I had not right clicked (duh) and added the Action -> Effect from the Radial menu.
3) Too much Bourbon disables your reading comprehension skill

Also I was wondering why we are using Expend? "On next roll" when we have a creature type defined.
It shouldn't work unless we hit a Giant, so does it hurt to set it to Never, or is it personal preference?

Good to go now

El Condoro
December 20th, 2016, 03:46
It might be OK but I think it will affect all damage rolls thereafter, including non-giant slayer weapons if the character changed to one. The target is set to SELF so a permanent IFT: (giant); DMG:2d6 would give that if the giant was hit with a non-magical dagger, for example.

Zacchaeus
December 20th, 2016, 11:37
Indeed as El Condoro says. The effect is on the character and isn't tied to any particular weapon. If the only weapon being carried or used by the character is this weapon then there's no problem having the effect as permanent. However if they use a variety of weapons then you'll get a lot of unintentional damage - if there's a lot of Giants around :)