PDA

View Full Version : Connection Test Fails on Windows 10

The Scriven One
August 5th, 2016, 19:36
As the title says, the connection test fails, on a brand new (fresh) install of Windows 10. I used an ISO that Microsoft offered to people with a valid Windows 7 key, so all the settings are default.

I replaced Windows 7 with Windows 10, and downloaded FG through Steam. I still have port 1802 forwarded on my router, but I haven't used FG in a month or two.

I'm a total novice regarding Windows 10 (I just installed it an hour or so ago), so is there anything special I need to do to get the connection test to succeed? It's not an emergency, as I'm not running anything at the moment, but I'd like to make sure it's there when I need it.

Thanks in advance.

The Scriven One
August 5th, 2016, 20:39
Ok, I did some research, and somehow my IPv4 Address was changed. I updated it on the Router, and I got a success. Hopefully this post will help someone else with the same issue- I found a lot of failed tests, but none exactly like mine, with the new OS, etc.

mda0013
August 5th, 2016, 22:01
Try doing a full reboot of your computer, modem, and router. The modem and router should have reset buttons on them. Hold those in for 30 seconds and it should dump all old stores of information in them. After that leave all your devices unplugged for 5 or so minutes. Then re-plug everything in and see if you run into the same connection error. There is something to be said in the IT world for just doing a good old fashion reboot. Works like a charm 9 times out of 10.

damned
August 5th, 2016, 22:35
if you do what mda0013 suggests make sure you have all your details ready to reconfigure everything. Id really recommend you not do that step...

LordEntrails
August 6th, 2016, 00:09
Ok, I did some research, and somehow my IPv4 Address was changed. I updated it on the Router, and I got a success. Hopefully this post will help someone else with the same issue- I found a lot of failed tests, but none exactly like mine, with the new OS, etc.

As you noticed, your router re-assigned your IP. This is not unusual. It usually occurs if your computer is off the network for a long time, you reset your router, or, you upgrade to Windows 10 :)

Trenloe
August 6th, 2016, 13:55
There is something to be said in the IT world for just doing a good old fashion reboot. Works like a charm 9 times out of 10.
Reboot yes (switch it off and on), factory reset no (which is potentially what you're suggesting, depending on the router).

LinkRS
August 7th, 2016, 02:55
Howdy,

Unless you take steps to use a fixed IP address. Your router will assign you one when you start up the computer. It is typically in the range 192.168.1.2 - 192.168.1.255 (which is 253 possibilities). Windows 10 does not do a full shutdown the majority of the time, and it is possible that your system will retain the set IP address for a while, but you should always verify it before you try to start a new game session, so that you can update the router settings. Good luck!