PDA

View Full Version : I'm a GM and a travel quite a bit

Fable
August 5th, 2016, 15:16
Hi folks.

I run a Sunday night game and I sometimes have to travel on Sunday's for the work week. I would like my characters to play remotely on those Sunday's but I can't figure out a way to make everything work.

- I have an ultimate license.
- I have moved my FG purchased program to my Steam Account.
- I have all of the 5E books purchased on Steam
- I have a desktop at home I normally run this on for my players.

I also have a laptop and surface(preferred for travel). Both have the Steam Client but my custom campaign isn't available on either.

So do I have any options for making the remote PCs work for those weeks I am traveling? I haven't been able to figure out a valid way to USB the correct files back and forth to get it to work.

Thank you in advance.

Mask_of_winter
August 5th, 2016, 15:28
Just transfer your campaign folder to your laptop or surface.

Fable
August 5th, 2016, 15:29
Thanks - I totally missed the folder up top on the Load/Create screen. I will give it a whirl. /cheers

Talyn
August 5th, 2016, 15:32
My whole job is travel so I feel ya. :)

What you want to do is open your FG Campaigns folder usually but not necessarily found in C:\Users\{username}\AppData\Roaming\Fantasy Grounds\campaigns on Windows PCs. Easy way is to bring up the FG launcher then click the folder icon on the top right, that will take you right to the main FG folder. Copy your campaign to a USB drive or a cloud system like DropBox. Don't use DropBox while FG is actually running a game however; I keep hearing stories of corrupted files if you have any sort of "live sync" system running.

The other issues you may encounter are:

* Your laptop will have a different alias than your desktop so you'll have to pass out both of them to the players. Totally unsure if you can manually set your laptop to the same alias your desktop has but if you can that would certainly be the better option.

* Hotel firewalls will block FG's port 1802 or whatever it uses so you'll either need some other sneaky system like Hamachi (haven't tried it yet myself but everyone says it works flawlessly) or call the customer service for the tech company who provides the WiFi service to the hotel. You can ask for a MAC address whitelist for your laptop. Some places won't do it, some will. One of the hotels I stay at frequently setup a MAC whitelist for my Chromecast months ago and just left it there permanently since I'm there so often LOL.

Fable
August 5th, 2016, 15:40
Nice. Thank you for the heads up/tips. I often have to mess with PS4 settings at hotels to get it to work at Marriott's (I stay with them most of the time). Worst case I will run it off my Phone/Data to get around it. Great advice Talyn!

LordEntrails
August 5th, 2016, 17:37
I use Hamachi from hotels all the time. I just Skype my players to let them know they have to run Hamachi and to use the Hamachi IP address instead of the alias.

Fable
August 5th, 2016, 17:58
Solid - thanks LordEntrails :) If I have a problem that might be my solution.

Talyn
August 5th, 2016, 21:51
...let them know they have to run Hamachi and to use the Hamachi IP address instead of the alias.

If they're using the Hamachi IP do they still have to all use Hamachi themselves?

damned
August 5th, 2016, 22:40
If you are travelling I would set up/test Hamachi with the players before hand... everyone will need Hamachi. There are instructions (search: tried everything hamachi) here for using with FG.
There are a limited numer of VPN services that will also work for this meaning only the GM needs to do any extra steps.
There are instructions here for making your own vpn server too if feeling brave... https://www.dropbox.com/s/i1mxkdubn8kt46k/Fantasy%20Grounds%20VPN%20Server%20Setup%20-%20draft.docx?dl=0
And every now and again you will end up at a hotel that just works anyway... but dont bet on it happening...

LordEntrails
August 6th, 2016, 00:07
If they're using the Hamachi IP do they still have to all use Hamachi themselves?
Yes, everyone has to use Hamachi :(

Damned solution is high on my list to go for. Once I get around to trying something new :)

Trenloe
August 6th, 2016, 13:51
Worst case I will run it off my Phone/Data to get around it. Great advice Talyn!
This will more than likely not work as phone data services rarely allow port forwarding. Setup and test Hamachi (or another VPN service) before you travel.