PDA

View Full Version : Question about which Modules I need to activate in Campaign.

dudeslife
August 4th, 2016, 14:21
Let's say I am going to DM Princes of the Apocalypse campaign. I have activated PoA, DD Elemental Players Companion, Monster Manual, DMG, PHB. Is this all I need? Do I still need to activate the DD Basic Rules or any of the 5E SRD stuff? Thanks.

NotRussellCrowe
August 4th, 2016, 14:30
Good morning, dudeslife! Any relation to The Dude? His Dudeness? El Duderino?

You do not need the Basic Rules or SRD activated if you have the PHB, DMG, and MM enabled. However, if any links were created (monsters, character sheets, magic items, etc.) against the Basic Rules or SRD documents then I think you will get an error trying to open those if the modules are not enabled/activated. If all PCs are created against the PHB this won't be an issue and if you haven't added anything in from those then I would not expect you to have any issues.

Happy gaming!

Talyn
August 4th, 2016, 15:07
Generally speaking, all the the 5E campaigns I've seen so far come with everything you need already in them (monsters, etc.). As the GM you would probably load up and share the PHB so your players can refer to skills, etc. in their characters if need be. You can load up the DMG if you own it if you feel like it but usually wouldn't need to. Same with the MM, those are already in the campaign module.

Running your own scenarios then sure, have the MM and DMG loaded up definitely. But the pre-written content usually just the PHB and that's mostly for convenience to the players.

dudeslife
August 4th, 2016, 15:17
Thanks for the advice. I do like the convenience of the self contained campaigns. I just didn't know if the FG engine required those SRD modules to function. I am converting old DnD Next pdfs and Dungeon Mag adventures to FG so I grabbed the MM and DMG.

I am finding the urge to buy products to be quite addicting. :)

Talyn
August 4th, 2016, 15:21
Nah the SRD stuff is there so people can get FG and play right away without having to purchase the official WotC content. But once you have the WotC stuff, they have way more features than the SRD so you'd want to focus on that and drop the SRD.

damned
August 5th, 2016, 01:31
But if you are developing stuff to share... stick to the SRD.
So many opinions :)