PDA

View Full Version : Categories (tabs), modules and merge ids in 1.05

Goblin-King
August 27th, 2005, 12:05
The 1.05 patch will allow you to drag tooltip text onto category tabs in the various books where you have them available. At that time, each tab will have three distinct parameters that will identify and separate it from the others: the tooltip text, the base tab color, and the icon used on the tab.

There's also a fourth, hidden parameter for each tab that we call the merge id. The merge id is basically a text string, and it is used to group data you import from a module in an intelligent and flexible way. As it is prior to 1.05, all data imported from modules will be dropped into the first available category, which basically... sucks. After 1.05, modules can create their own tabs, and several modules that belong to a distinct set (such as several adventures taking place in a common campaign setting) can share tabs so that monsters in adventure module A will go into the same tab as monsters in adventure module B, while still having their own tabs for the story elements of the adventure.

Each module you export will use the user name selected when starting up the program as the merge id. The tabs for the data of the campaign (i.e. data that was created specifically for the campaign and not imported from a module) is always assumed to use the active user name of the GM as the merge id of all the non-imported tabs.

What happens whenever a module is imported, is all four of these parameters mentioned for any category in the module are compared with all of the existing categories in the campaign, including any from other imported modules. If a match is found, that particular category is merged with the matching category active in the campaign. If a match is not found, a new tab will be created and the records put into this tab.

Old modules, created prior to 1.05, will always use an empty string as the merge id, and will, therefore, match each other but not the active campaign. Thus, a new category will be created for them, but the data for all of them will share this same category.

Please note that if the GM changes any of the three visible parameters (tooltip, base color, icon) of an imported tab and imports another module that was designed to match the first, the merge operation will fail because the parameters no longer match, and a new category will be created.

We think the end result of this change will make using modules a lot more convenient for everyone, even if getting to terms with the system might be hard at first. One of the best things about this is, the GM who only wants to import modules and start playing, won't really have to worry about all this, he'll just see the tabs pop up and the merges take place.

Please don't hesitate to ask about anything related to this issue, I'll do my best to elaborate.

Crusader
August 27th, 2005, 13:16
Cool! If I understand this correctly this gives you a lot of control over where imported data ends up. Nice!

Toadwart
September 4th, 2005, 10:35
Ok, lets see if I have this correct:
I have a campaign (lets call it AdventureX) for creating an an adventure. Which I will export to a module for use in my primary campaign.
Do I need to be sure to always start up FG with the same name whenever I edit AdventureX?

If I was to:
-log back into my main campaign as user A
Would I now have duplicate tabs with AdventureX data on them?
What if I deactivated and reactivated the adventure?

The reason I ask is because pre-1.05 I has a campaign with an activated module. After applying 1.05 I made some changes to mu module and re-exported it.
When I opened my main campaign I found two tabs with the same data (one that was tied to the module and a separate copy - presumably the originally activated module data)

Goblin-King
September 4th, 2005, 18:51
Do I need to be sure to always start up FG with the same name whenever I edit AdventureX?

Only the name you have active when you do the actual export will affect the operation.

If I was to:
-log back into my main campaign as user A
Would I now have duplicate tabs with AdventureX data on them?
What if I deactivated and reactivated the adventure?

If the module was saved with the same name as the original, the original would still be in and the module would be checked as imported in the import sheet. If you deactivated and reactivated it, the data for the module would first be deleted from the campaign, and then imported. The import operation WOULD create new tabs because the merge id of the new data would be different from the tabs created the first time.

Toadwart
September 5th, 2005, 00:11
Thanks GK :D

I sometimes use different logins in order to fire up two instances of FG on my PC (to test functionality as host & player).
I'll be careful to use the same name when exporting & deactivating/activating modules.