PDA

View Full Version : Will I have any potential network problems here?

Newf
August 3rd, 2016, 03:36
So, my group and I are switching back to D&D (and therefore using FG) this coming weekend, and I'm trying to sort out some cable/networking issues.

What I currently have done is my PC that FG will run on, is plugged into my router, and I connected a second router to that which will be placed on my table for everyone to plug their laptops into. Will there be any foreseeable issues with any of them connecting to my host PC you think? I'd like to have this figured out prior to Friday as I don't get much time to set up when I get home from work, as we start streaming on twitch @ 7pm my time.

Cheers!

Newf

damned
August 3rd, 2016, 04:27
They will need to connect to your Internal IP address and they should be ok...
You could connect them all wirelessly instead...
A switch is a better option than a router but you should be ok...

Newf
August 3rd, 2016, 04:36
They will need to connect to your Internal IP address and they should be ok...
You could connect them all wirelessly instead...
A switch is a better option than a router but you should be ok...

Thanks! We've always tried wired connections before, as wirelessly resulted in people losing connections a lot for some reason.

JohnD
August 3rd, 2016, 13:27
Why don't you test it ahead of time.

Newf
August 3rd, 2016, 14:44
Why don't you test it ahead of time.

I would, but I don't have enough devices to plug into it. I only have one license, and my laptop doesn't have a network cable jack.

JohnD
August 3rd, 2016, 15:27
In that case, maybe ask people to show up an hour early to get technical issues out of the way.

Newf
August 3rd, 2016, 16:11
In that case, maybe ask people to show up an hour early to get technical issues out of the way.

That is hopefully the plan, but due to me not getting home until 5, and other people's work schedules, that might not be possible, so I was just wondering if there were any network/router settings I might need to know about beforehand.

Myrdin Potter
August 3rd, 2016, 20:54
As long as the computers can see each other and there is no weirdness caused by a firewall on the second router, you should be fine. As suggested, I would use a switch, not a router, if everyone is using a physical connection. Connect to your computer's internal IP address.

Newf
August 3rd, 2016, 21:10
As long as the computers can see each other and there is no weirdness caused by a firewall on the second router, you should be fine. As suggested, I would use a switch, not a router, if everyone is using a physical connection. Connect to your computer's internal IP address.

Thanks. Maybe I'll try using my laptop to get on its wifi and see if I can see my PC on the other router. Unfortunately I don't have a switch. Maybe I can grab on on kijiji at some point if that would make things better. Everyone will be plugged in, no shortage of network cables.

Newf
August 4th, 2016, 16:37
So I managed to get things set up, and it appears to work. Using my laptop via wifi on my 2nd router, I was able to access my network. So that's a good sign. I also listened to your guys' advice and got in contact with some folks on kijiji who have switches for sale, so I may be picking one of those up after work today. Appreciate all the help!

Newf

JohnD
August 4th, 2016, 18:31
Excellent. You should share your stream in case anyone is interested in watching.

Newf
August 4th, 2016, 18:34
Excellent. You should share your stream in case anyone is interested in watching.

Oh sure thing!

twitch.tv/NewfGames

We start around 7pm MST and play for 3-4 hours.

I post reminders on twitter as well @NewfGames

Cheers!

Newf
August 5th, 2016, 02:23
Well. I picked up an 8 port gigabit switch today. Things should be just fine now :D14938