PDA

View Full Version : Mutant Chronicles

malvok
August 1st, 2016, 18:42
I'm looking to give the new 3rd edition of Mutant Chronicles a try but I'm unsure of which version to get, 2d20 or Savage Worlds. I am not familiar with either system. I know there's a Savage Worlds ruleset but I assume there will be a good amount of customization needed to use it with Mutant Chronicles.

What are your opinions of these systems, both as they apply to Fantasy Grounds and Mutant Chronicles?

I see that the source books haven't yet been converted to Savage Worlds, will that be a hindrance to using the system? Are there general conversion rules available?

Mask_of_winter
August 2nd, 2016, 01:24
If you like crunch you may prefer 2d20 but it isn't supported by an official or community ruleset yet.
I've been using the Savage Worlds ruleset here for about 8 years and usually play setting that arent in the store. I've used the SW Enhanced Library extension to create custom content (it's like Par5e but you do it within FG wysiwyg).
That said, I don't own Mutant Chronicles in either rule systems. Savage Worlds has a free Test Drive pdf. I believe you can get a sample of the rules for Mutant Chronicles as well. I know backers for Conan 2d20 got a sample of the system too.

Darq
August 4th, 2016, 05:23
I think Savage Worlds will surprise you. It is a fairly well thought out system. Hell they made Rifts Conversion work with minimal tweaking.

malvok
August 5th, 2016, 01:19
I checked out Savage Worlds and it seems promising. It's very different from most RPGs I've played, faster paced, simpler resolution, not as bogged down with complexity. I bought the Savage Worlds version of Mutant Chronicles and the Savage Worlds ruleset. They look like fun.

Darq
August 5th, 2016, 01:44
Try Low Life sometime if you are ever looking for something Interesting / Quirky. At first glance it looks stupid, but Andy (the guy who wrote and illustrated it) is a frikkin' genius. Actually read the setting and you will be surprised. You can get a good hunk of the setting fluff for free at RPGNow (https://www.drivethrurpg.com/product/187929/Low-Life-The-Rise-of-the-Lowly-ReDredged--FREE-Preview-Edition?affiliate_id=73831) (That's actually my character displayed down below ;) )

jshauber
August 10th, 2016, 06:04
Try Low Life sometime if you are ever looking for something Interesting / Quirky. At first glance it looks stupid, but Andy (the guy who wrote and illustrated it) is a frikkin' genius. Actually read the setting and you will be surprised. You can get a good hunk of the setting fluff for free at RPGNow (https://www.drivethrurpg.com/product/187929/Low-Life-The-Rise-of-the-Lowly-ReDredged--FREE-Preview-Edition?affiliate_id=73831) (That's actually my character displayed down below ;) )

Got a chance to play in an Andy Hopp run game of Low Life at GenCon. It was AWESOME!!! He forgot the module and all the characters. SO, we picked our characters from the deck of Low Life cards he had with him, he described a bit about each and we role-played everything out using what was pictured and described. I think a total of 2 dice were thrown and 4-5 rock/paper/scissors were used to resolve a fight. Otherwise all the players really got into the game and had a good 4 hours of diceless gaming using their brains.