PDA

View Full Version : Initiative control

Ken L
August 1st, 2016, 06:14
So if I have someone hold action or delay action and need to change their initiative. Now I run into the following problems:

- The moment I enter a number into the initiative field, the row automatically sorts itself out of view if there's a number of items on the tracker pending on the position. The only way I can assure that the entered initiative is correct is to continue typing and hope it's placed correctly.
- Multiple turn items with the same imitative require me to start inserting decimals to preserve order and it becomes a juggling act if I have 3 creatures with the same init. This combined with the auto-imitative sort makes it jumpy and confusing.

This is for the 3.5/PF ruleset. How does everyone deal with this annoyance?

Griogre
August 1st, 2016, 09:11
Don't enter a changed number to initiative until they actually go. Particularly, for readied actions they may not trigger.

damned
August 1st, 2016, 09:45
I also dont change their Initiative. Its up to the player then to let me know when they will be acting.

Callum
August 1st, 2016, 11:46
I just enter the new initiative number and then scroll to the expected position to check that it's correct.

If there are multiple creatures with the same initiative check result, they should then be sorted according to their initiative modifier - which can lead to some incorrect sequencing in cases where actions have been used that change a creature's place in the initiative order. In these rare cases, I don't use decimals - I just change the initiative numbers until I get the correct sequence. Since it's really only the sequence that matters, I don't have a problem with juggling the numbers to get that correct.

GunnarGreybeard
August 1st, 2016, 12:41
I also dont change their Initiative. Its up to the player then to let me know when they will be acting.

That's how I do it as well. If a PC wishes to wait, they need to keep up and interject when they are ready to act.

Trenloe
August 1st, 2016, 13:40
In Pathfinder if a PC or NPC delays or readies an action their Initiative does change when they come out of delay or their readied action is triggered.

How does everyone deal with this annoyance

I just change it manually and insert decimals if I need to. It doesn't annoy or confuse me.

If it really bugs you then I suggest writing an extension to add <delaykeyupdate /> to the Initiative value control in the combat tracker. See the "Definition" section here: https://www.fantasygrounds.com/refdoc/numbercontrol.xcp

HoratioDrank
August 1st, 2016, 14:09
I assume you guys are talking about games other than D&D 5e. In 5e, they got rid of Delay, and Ready doesn't change your initiative.

Trenloe
August 1st, 2016, 14:18
I assume you guys are talking about games other than D&D 5e.
In the first post the OP mentions: "This is for the 3.5/PF ruleset."

HoratioDrank
August 1st, 2016, 14:49
So he does. I guess I should "lrn 2 read, noob". ;-)

Trenloe
August 1st, 2016, 15:07
I guess I should "lrn 2 read, noob". ;-)
It's overrated. ;)

Trenloe
August 1st, 2016, 16:51
If it really bugs you then I suggest writing an extension to add <delaykeyupdate /> to the Initiative value control in the combat tracker. See the "Definition" section here: https://www.fantasygrounds.com/refdoc/numbercontrol.xcp
Try the attached extension "3.5e Init Update Delay".

This will delay processing of the initiative changing until the init field is tabbed out of (or loses focus in another way). Note: this won't delay the update code if the mouse wheel is used to change the init.

Nickademus
August 1st, 2016, 17:51
So he does. I guess I should "lrn 2 read, noob". ;-)

And if you don't feel like reading, you can always look to see what section of the forum the thread is in. Reading is definitely overrated.

Trenloe
August 1st, 2016, 18:01
And if you don't feel like reading, you can always look to see what section of the forum the thread is in.
Unless a sneaky moderator moves it from the generic forums to the system specific ones... ;)

Nickademus
August 1st, 2016, 22:36
Unless a sneaky moderator moves it from the generic forums to the system specific ones... ;)

:O

Ninja moderation!
Just goes to show that if you're too lazy to read, you should be too lazy to view the thread until after the moderators have played.

Ken L
August 3rd, 2016, 19:13
Try the attached extension "3.5e Init Update Delay".

This will delay processing of the initiative changing until the init field is tabbed out of (or loses focus in another way). Note: this won't delay the update code if the mouse wheel is used to change the init.

Thanks Tren, I'll check that out. The whole 1 indexing in Lua is throwing me off my game given I work in java/javascript/C/C++