PDA

View Full Version : Setting a Target DC

sjard
July 30th, 2016, 14:08
Okay, so I'm showing how new I am to actually using FG, but is there a way to set a Target DC so that when a player rolls, it displays success/failure and perhaps by how much?

Zacchaeus
July 30th, 2016, 15:06
For what do you want to have a target DC for?

In almost every spell for example the DC will be displayed on the actions tab of the player and targeting/clicking or dragging the dice roll onto the target will make the saving throw etc using the DC shown. For NPCs the same kind of information is usually shown on the actions tab of the NPC and on the Combat Tracker. Again target/click or drag/drop onto the target will achieve the result you want.

sjard
July 30th, 2016, 15:11
Target in this case is not a literal target, as in a person or monster to hit. Target DC/Number/Whatever that game calls it, is an industry term of art for "Roll higher than this number."

So, for example, I'm wondering if it is possible to set a Target DC for pushing open a heavy door. The purpose for this for me would be to A) have a record in the chat for when I inevitably forget what was going on, and B) to have a record at a glance to see by how much the roll succeeded or failed.

Zacchaeus
July 30th, 2016, 15:24
I think your answer in that case is no.

You can of course make strength checks and skill checks but you can't make them against any particular target DC since those kind of rolls are not made via the Combat Tracker. The CT is the heart of the system and all attacks, damage rolls and saving throws are handled through it. So as long as you have a target on the CT you can attack, damage or force a save out of it. You can't however do something like a strength check against it.

However you can force the entire party to make a strength (or any other ability or skill check) against a particular DC via the party sheet. Just set the DC for whatever you need and click to make the roll. This is only available to the DM.

Otherwise if the player is making the roll you'll just have to do it 'Theatre of the Mind'

sjard
July 30th, 2016, 15:26
Ah, thanks, Party Sheet, that's what I was looking for.