PDA

View Full Version : So... What do I need

Pikup
July 30th, 2016, 04:42
I'm watching all this fuss over the 5e content and I figured I should give it a try. I have an ultimate license etc, but what 5e content do I need to run the Mines of Phandelver Module. Do I just need the module? All the Core class stuff? The DM Guide?

Inquiring minds would like to know.

Pikup

damned
July 30th, 2016, 04:50
Your license already includes the SRD and teh Basic Rules which is a whole swag of content.
All the 5e Wizards modules are self contained. They have everything you need to run them - except for characters - except for the LMop.... it includes the whole adventure and also includes 6 pre-gens so you dont need anything else at all :)

Also check this post for 5e in general...
https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?32987-What-do-I-need-to-play-5e

and some more useful links
https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?27296-Guides-videos-and-other-helpful-information

Pikup
July 30th, 2016, 04:58
Thanks for the info... Module purchased...

So for other modules etc I will need the core class info. (Need meaning otherwise I'd have to enter a lot of information by hand.)

Pikup

Xorn
July 30th, 2016, 05:45
That basically sums it up Pikup. The adventure modules cover everything you need except making characters, which isn't hard to do by hand, just time consuming.

But of the other library modules (as opposed to adventures) the PHB is the only one that I would say, "When you get this, you truly unlock 5E on FG." The MM & DMG are fantastic if you're running your own content, but when running the pre-built campaign modules they are really overshadowed and you won't miss them.

It's possible to parse your own PHB still, but honestly (and bear in mind I wrote the tutorials on HOW to parse your own PHB/MM/DMG), I would recommend just buying them. Save yourself the trouble--and they get updated automatically as well.

damned
July 30th, 2016, 06:36
Thanks for the info... Module purchased...

So for other modules etc I will need the core class info. (Need meaning otherwise I'd have to enter a lot of information by hand.)

Pikup

It depends... if they stick with the 4 core classes and 4 core races (or the pre-gens they played LMoP with) - thats all included in the free Basic Rules. If they want more options they can go to the SRD which has all the Classes and all the Races but not all of the options for them. Both contain around 200 spells and 200 monsters (sans the pictures) and all the equipment. So far this is all included with your FG license.

Then if they want more options with the drag and drop etc then they/you can buy individual class packs or go the PHB.

Or there is the Par5e option - I cannot believe how many people still do this! Not because it doesnt work or anything - but because its a massive job and you can have it all done for you with all the pics and all maintained in the official versions for the cost of a night out.

damned
July 30th, 2016, 06:37
That basically sums it up Pikup. The adventure modules cover everything you need except making characters, which isn't hard to do by hand, just time consuming.

But of the other library modules (as opposed to adventures) the PHB is the only one that I would say, "When you get this, you truly unlock 5E on FG." The MM & DMG are fantastic if you're running your own content, but when running the pre-built campaign modules they are really overshadowed and you won't miss them.

It's possible to parse your own PHB still, but honestly (and bear in mind I wrote the tutorials on HOW to parse your own PHB/MM/DMG), I would recommend just buying them. Save yourself the trouble--and they get updated automatically as well.

When the good Xorn par5ed his books there was no official content yet... and it was a good thing to do - but now... stick with the included stuff until you are ready to use more and then pay for it :)

Xorn
July 30th, 2016, 14:07
Side note: The good Xorn bought all the library modules, despite having PAR5E'd them all already. They are that good in my opinion.

JohnD
July 30th, 2016, 15:24
Yeah, they really are worth it.

drakonin
July 30th, 2016, 21:08
Yeah, they really are worth it.

I concur, I was on the fence for a while about the DMG but even grabbed that recently.

Myrdin Potter
July 30th, 2016, 23:27
Play the first scenario. If you are DMing and you don't mind the cost, buy the PHB (Core Classes) as the players get all the character class content in an easy way. If you don"t want to spend the extra cash, search these forums for a post on Complete Barbarian or Cleric or whatever else, and you'll find a 20th level character example with the effects that can be automated all done. The SRD is remarkably complete and the amount of manual work needed is pretty small at low levels.

damned
July 31st, 2016, 03:47
And if you are a little light on cash throw it out to the players - how about sending me $10each via paypal and i can get the PHB for our games.
Or $5each and I can get Curse of Strahd to run you all through over the next 6months.

Xorn
July 31st, 2016, 03:54
One correction if I may Myrdin:

If you are DMing and want a module tell your players to PayPal you some money to pay for it. :P I got both OotA and CoS from player donations. :P