PDA

View Full Version : Owner's name length

Maspalio
July 28th, 2016, 10:51
Hello,

Can someone help me put a limit of characters to a name typed by the client ?

I've read the lua reference manual and browse the web. Plenty of answers, but it's still a bit mixed and confusing to me. (length operator, #, etc)

So, i got a <multilinespacing> string and i'd like to fix a maximum length to it, cause i always got some kind of players whose names are "iamthebigmoffofromoutterspacewithanamesolongthatit breaksthecharacterselectionwindow"...

Could someone tell me how to define a length of the owner string (name of client) in the campaign_chars.xml (CoreRPG) ?

Thanks

damned
July 28th, 2016, 12:10
I think this is governed in the Engine and not in CoreRPG.
Tellyourplayerstopulltheirnamingegosiniftheywantto keepplayingatyourtable!

LordEntrails
July 28th, 2016, 13:44
Tellyourplayerstopulltheirnamingegosiniftheywantto keepplayingatyourtable!
That'swhatIwasgoingtosay!

Nickademus
July 28th, 2016, 18:19
Could someone tell me how to define a length of the owner string (name of client) in the campaign_chars.xml (CoreRPG) ?

Thanks

Alright, this is a bit of a round-about way to accomplish your goal. You actually don't need to add any code for this. While Fantasy Grounds is running and the players are connected and have chosen their characters, you can force the name to fit within a reasonable width. First, right-click on the portrait of the character with the obnoxious name. Then choose the radial menu option 'Kick'. Finally, choose the Confirm choice in the sub-menu. If the player reconnects and the name doesn't shrink to fit your specifications within a few seconds, rinse and repeat.

LordEntrails
July 28th, 2016, 23:37
Alright, this is a bit of a round-about way to accomplish your goal. You actually don't need to add any code for this. While Fantasy Grounds is running and the players are connected and have chosen their characters, you can force the name to fit within a reasonable width. First, right-click on the portrait of the character with the obnoxious name. Then choose the radial menu option 'Kick'. Finally, choose the Confirm choice in the sub-menu. If the player reconnects and the name doesn't shrink to fit your specifications within a few seconds, rinse and repeat.

I second this. Just make sure you tell him why he's being kicked.

I do business process software for a living. A technical solution is not always the best, often it's just a matter of letting people know how things should be done and then taking them out back of the shed with a stick when they don't :)

Phystus
July 29th, 2016, 15:48
I agree, this problem isn't best addressed with code, it's best addressed in person.
Just explain to everyone that you're sick of it, and from now on you'll be doing 1d20 damage for every letter in a character's name beyond whatever limit you set (10 letters, maybe?).

~P

Nylanfs
July 29th, 2016, 21:10
But what if it's more than 30 char? Then you have to manually type it in... :)

Phystus
July 29th, 2016, 21:51
Yeah, but probably only once... ;)