PDA

View Full Version : Need help to create an effect

Smoltok
July 27th, 2016, 09:08
Hi ladies and gentlemens ! ( I'm not sure for the ladies ^^)

I would like to create the following effect : add 8 temp HP for one hour

I'm reading https://www.fantasygrounds.com/wiki/index.php/5E_Effects

Any clue ?

There is no duration in Heal Dialog (obviously) but I can't find the term for temp HP for the description in the Effect Dialog.

El Condoro
July 27th, 2016, 10:26
Right-click on the spell that creates the effect
Add Action (radial menu)
Add Heal (+ symbol)
Click magnifying glass next to new effect
- Targeting: Targets (or Self?)
- Type: TEMP
- drag a d8 onto the Heal panel. [Edit: or put an 8 in the Bonus field and leave the others blank if it's always 8]

Smoltok
July 27th, 2016, 10:30
Right-click on the spell that creates the effect
Add Action (radial menu)
Add Heal (+ symbol)
Click magnifying glass next to new effect
- Targeting: Targets (or Self?)
- Type: TEMP
- drag a d8 onto the Heal panel. [Edit: or put an 8 in the Bonus field and leave the others blank if it's always 8]

Ok and it's up to me to remove the effect one hour later !

I was blocked by the end of the effect duration !

El Condoro
July 27th, 2016, 10:51
You could create a 'reminder' effect with a duration of 1 HR and put it on the target. Not sure.

The thing is with Temp HP, they don't stack - the player chooses to replace the current THP with the new ones or keep the existing ones. If an effect adds THP it would go against this rule. There is a Tmp field on the CT and that is what I would use and just have the 'reminder' effect if the THPs expire.

LordEntrails
July 27th, 2016, 13:43
Note, in my experience any effects that last more than several minutes don't need a duration. This is because combats just don't last that long and when my players are out of combat I don't increment the turns counter. i.e. from practice, long periods of time (10 minutes or more) are handled without the CT so the rounds in the CT are meaningful.

Again, this is just how me and my groups use it, maybe it's different for you.

Smoltok
July 27th, 2016, 13:45
Note, in my experience any effects that last more than several minutes don't need a duration. This is because combats just don't last that long and when my players are out of combat I don't increment the turns counter. i.e. from practice, long periods of time (10 minutes or more) are handled without the CT so the rounds in the CT are meaningful.

I understand your point of view and I think I will do the same. Seems to be coherent.

Zacchaeus
July 29th, 2016, 18:02

The only thing I would say about this is that if you don't put a duration on where it's less than an hour the effect won't clear if you 'clear expiring effects' - which you might not want to happen.