PDA

View Full Version : Fighter Manuever + Sharpshooter

A'egis Ward
July 25th, 2016, 19:54
I'd love some help with combo-ing this effect.

I first created Sharpshooter as an effect: [Sharpshooter;ATK:-5,ranged;DMG:10,ranged] It works perfectly and applies the effect to the next ATK and DMG roll, then it ends.

I then created Maneuver: Prone. This is to parse the fighter maneuver that uses a Superiority Die. My steps were: Add Action [type=Ranged, Str Save vs DC] -> Add Damage -> Add Effect [Prone]. This also works perfectly.

Here's the problem: If I first toggle my Sharpshooter ability, then "cast" my Maneuver:Prone ability, the [ATK:-5] from Sharpshooter is applied to my ATK roll appropriately, but the [DMG:10] from my Sharpshooter ability is NOT applied to my DMG roll. So...it's half working correctly...which is why I'm stumped.

I appreciate, in advance, any help offered!

drakonin
July 25th, 2016, 20:01
When you "cast" my Maneuver:Prone is it removing the sharpshooter effect? If so you can change it to remove on roll instead of action.

A'egis Ward
July 25th, 2016, 20:35
I'm pretty sure that the issue is the Sharpshooter code/effect doesn't recognize the DMG from the Maneuver:Prone ability b/c there is no way (that I can find) to tag that damage as Ranged. It's piercing... and even if I add [piercing,ranged] it won't recognize the DMG roll as ranged, so Sharpshooter isn't triggering.

B/c the Maneuver:Prone let's me tag its ATK as Ranged, the Sharpshooter effect is noticing that and applying the penalty.

Is there a way to add a Descriptor/tag for "ranged" damage to the damage type?

drakonin
July 25th, 2016, 20:38
Is the attack icon set to ranged? It is the one under the weapons section on the actions tab.

A'egis Ward
July 25th, 2016, 20:43
Yes, it's set to Ranged.

drakonin
July 25th, 2016, 20:49
Try "DMG: 10 ranged" I think the "," is causing the issue.

If that doesn't fix it, please post a screenshot of the full effect.

damned
July 26th, 2016, 10:23
From the 5e effects wiki: https://www.fantasygrounds.com/wiki/index.php/5E_Effects
The valid damage types are: [damage type] = acid, cold, fire, force, lightning, necrotic, poison, psychic, radiant, thunder, adamantine, bludgeoning, cold-forged iron, magic, piercing, silver, slashing

El Condoro
July 26th, 2016, 11:16
There's a fair bit going on with the sequence - I assume the maneuver you're using is 'Trip Attack'. Side note, I would never have thought to use it with a ranged attack but its description clearly says 'Weapon attack'.

1. When Sharpshooter is being used, click the first effect. This will apply a -5 to hit.
2. If a hit is scored, the player then chooses to use the Sharpshooter damage (+10) or the Sharpshooter AND Trip Attack damage (+10 +1d8). Choose the appropriate effect BEFORE rolling the damage. This has the advantage of picking up the damage type of the weapon being used.
3. Roll damage.
4. Check the Strength check of the target.
5. If it fails, apply the prone effect.

A'egis Ward
July 26th, 2016, 16:42
El Condoro; yes, that is how I had to handle it. I have 2 effects for Sharpshooter now. When casting Trip Attack the SS is applied and the Save is rolled. On a hit, the SS damage and Superiority Dice are then added as an effect by selecting each. So, it works...thanks for the input from everyone. I was trying to make it all parse with one Cast click, which it can't.

As for using Ranged for Trip Attack, yes, it's pretty badass....and very frustrating as a DM. My player is a Fighter/Weapon Master/Archer. And he Trips, Disarms, Fears, Distracts from up to 600 ft away. :hurt:

JohnD
July 26th, 2016, 21:23
As for using Ranged for Trip Attack, yes, it's pretty badass....and very frustrating as a DM. My player is a Fighter/Weapon Master/Archer. And he Trips, Disarms, Fears, Distracts from up to 600 ft away. :hurt:
Man I hate it when they make 2nd level. Still, a couple of Tarrasques are just what you need to even the playing field. ;)

Zacchaeus
July 29th, 2016, 18:06
I wouldn't create an effect for sharpshooter at all. Add a new weapon line for the ranged weapon of choice and adjust the attack and damage by -5/+10. The player can then use that attack line when they want to use the ability. Then for the Trip attack all you need is the save and prone effects.