PDA

View Full Version : New to D&D 5e?

Godfather
July 25th, 2016, 17:18
Hi Everyone :)

I would very much like to start playing D&D 5th edition, haven't played in a very long time (1980's) when it was just pencil & paper.
I'm looking for a kind group that would welcome a newbie to join them on their adventures, just hope that being from the UK there will
still be opportunities even if playing late at night. I have a standard subscription with FG. I would love to play a L1 High Elf Wizard (sage)
called Somerset which i have created or just as happy with a pre made DM character. Would like to start with something like
"Lost Mines of Phandelver" Thank you for reading my introduction,

Happy adventures, Dave

dmkevin
July 25th, 2016, 18:21
Welcome to Fantasy Grounds Dave!!!,

I'm planning on setting up a new campaign soon but have not yet decided which campaign to run. Probably in the next 2 or 3 weeks I'll post this up.

I'm in the UK (but an American) so time zone is not an issue. To be fair, from the UK we can still join many US games but you've simply got to watch the timezone difference.

Godfather
July 25th, 2016, 18:31
Welcome to Fantasy Grounds Dave!!!,

I'm planning on setting up a new campaign soon but have not yet decided which campaign to run. Probably in the next 2 or 3 weeks I'll post this up.

I'm in the UK (but an American) so time zone is not an issue. To be fair, from the UK we can still join many US games but you've simply got to watch the timezone difference.

Thanks for the welcome Kevin and the advice, I need to learn the software whic will do over the next few days, shouldnt be to bad as just a player and not a DM :)

ps I'm also Bristol (Nailsea)

MeganHunter
July 25th, 2016, 19:30
Welcome! Getting the hang of the software, especially as a player of 5e, is thankfully simple for the most part. I love how I can keep the details of an individual trait hidden in their side pop-up, and it lets me get as descriptive and I want without making things a crazy scrawl for the DM. I do have to admit that programming actions can generally be a bit trying (I'm looking at you, Pathfinder) and in almost a decade I still don't feel comfortable with it. Plus each DM seems to like their own way of setting them up, so I haven't gotten to see too much of a uniform approach quite yet. I'm sure you'll get by quickly though, and for the base 5e specifically, those actions are as easy as dragging and dropping them from whatever list they're on. Heck, a lot of these spells don't even have/need any coding since they're more story or a DM call (Detect Magic, ect).

The timezones can be a little tricky, but thankfully as long as you're signed into the forums then the game calendar will list everything according to where you are.

Glad that you've joined us!

Arkham81
July 31st, 2016, 00:17
Hello! I've been wanting to learn 5e for awhile now...have previously played 3e, 4e, and Pathfinder but I like how 5e seems to have some more narrative elements. I'm another American in the UK (Durham) and would be interested in playing if I can find the time.

MeganHunter
July 31st, 2016, 08:00
Welcome! :) 5e seems to be the most popular girl at the dance for the moment, so I'm sure it won't take long to find something. I'm not sure how much it's worth since I'm new to that version myself, but my only suggestion would be not to sign up for a giant campaign right away. The races and classes play a little bit differently than they do in PF (dwarves don't have saves vs magic, druids don't get pets, ect). If you favored particular combinations of tactics / feats / grid movement, those same techniques won't necessarily work. There are new ones available, though, if that's what speaks to you. But since they play so differently, I know coming from PF I basically signed up for a class I thought I knew and then didn't end up liking. So any opportunity you might have to try out a few characters on one shots, even if they're pre-made from somewhere, might help you select which classes you're into. I hope you have fun with it!

Godfather
August 5th, 2016, 09:44
Thank you Megan for sound advice, I played my first game last Friday "Lost Mines", manage to find a UK DM,very friendly group, patient, played for 3 hours, little nervous but I'm sure the more I play the more confident I will become, fantasy grounds is a fantastic programme, Far better than roll20.Exciting times ahead. :)

Happy adventures, Dave