PDA

View Full Version : Plz add a simpler way to connect and host.

sevrick
July 25th, 2016, 05:52
My copy of fantasy grounds and the one I bought for my brother is now useless. All this port forwarding crap and opening ports. I have tried everything to get it work with no luck. Why no make it compatible with steams join game feature? I know there are easier ways to do this so why don't you use them.
I would get my money back but it was too long ago. I bought a copy for my brother so we could play. This was several months later. Naturally I figured that hosting games would work, since it's a CORE FEATURE. So only recently I found out that connectivity is not working.
I guess the purpose of this post is to try and get help/bring it to someones attention that it needs to be simpler.:mad:

damned
July 25th, 2016, 06:02
Hi sevrick it is listed in the requirements of the software.
If your router supports UPnP it will often just work.
The current engine cannot be made to work with a hosted connection.
There is also no plans (at least according to the last statement on that topic) to use Steam connect as the majority of users bought their software here rather than there.
The current setup is a peer to peer setup and requires no intermediary servers which many people prefer.
It does however pose networking challenges for some users.

Have you tried using Hamachi? It is quite straight forward and very rarely doesnt work.
What have you tried so far?
Do you have access to your router?
Are you trying to play from a private home or a campus or a work network or other?

damned
July 25th, 2016, 09:21
If you would like some help troubleshooting the connection please PM me..

damned
July 25th, 2016, 21:27
Log on to your Router and set up the port forward there to your Computers IP. TCP1802 only.
WHile logged on there find out what the routers WAN/Public IP is.
Log on to your Cable modem and do a port forward there and forward TCP1802 to the Routers WAN/Public IP address.

Internet --> Cable Modem (forward TCP 1802 to WiFi router) --> WiFi router (forward TCP 1802 to PC) --> PC (create Firewall PORT rule to allow incoming TCP 1802 connections from anywhere)

Consider making DHCP reservations on cable modem for WiFi router and on WiFi router for PC so that none of the IPs change and break this setup.

JerryRig
July 26th, 2016, 14:34
If you need assistance I can help as well. I'm more Layamon then some of the tech folks around here, i've helped several folks with their port forwarding issues. I'm often on FG teamspeak (https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?17071-Voicechat!-Community-TeamSpeak3-Server) and can walk through the steps and links with you.

ddavison
July 26th, 2016, 15:06
If you have the make and model # of the router, you can often find some step by step instructions on PortForward.com for Fantasy Grounds.

Go here and then choose the make and model of your router. Follow the instructions -- but only on the DM's computer. for the "internal ip", use the one on the DM's computer, as shown by Fantasy Grounds just above the Connection Test.
https://portforward.com/english/applications/port_forwarding/Fantasy_Grounds/default.htm

sevrick
July 26th, 2016, 22:07
Ok I have this is the routers I have:
Router 1: is a TP-Link Model: AC1750
Router 2: is a Arris Model: DG860
I found the page that corresponds to them but I am not sure how or if it is necessary to have static IP. I tried following the guide on the router 2 but it said the IP was invalid. The 1st router I didn't use a static IP.

ddavison
July 26th, 2016, 22:19
Okay, this is a bit trickier if you have two routers. What you essentially need to do is daisy-chain them. Log into the inner-most router and set up port forwarding to your local IP address of your PC where you are hosting the FG game. Then, log onto the outer most router and set up port forwarding to the address it assigned to your inner most router.

External router port forwards 1802 TCP traffic to Secondary Router which port forwards 1802 traffic to your PC.

Your external router probably doesn't know about your PC at all. All it sees is the other router, which blocks off everything beyond it.

Galach
July 26th, 2016, 22:41
First of all: PLEASE, SIMITE WORKS, DO NOT CHANGE ANYTHING RELATED TO THE CONNECTION PROCCESS IN FG – AS IT IS NOW, IT IS THE BEST SOLUTION FOR MOST PLAYERS.

Second, port-forwarding may seem hard at the beginning, but after you read a little bit about it and start to understand the basics, it is a piece of cake.

In your case, you need to first identify which one is the MODEM (probably the TP-Link), and which one is acting as router/hotspot/access point (probably the Arris). Then:

1. First, identify the IP range of your modem, of your router, and the IP of your computer, to see if your PC is connected to modem or router; write down the IP ranges you are getting from both (10.1.1.x or 192.168.1.x are the most common ranges)

2. Set your wireless router to a different IP range from your modem, if they are in the same one (for example, if your modem is giving you a 10.1.1.x range, set your router to use 192.168.1.x range, and vice-versa).

3. Configure your router to pick the first free IP address from your modem (it will be 10.1.1.2 or 192.168.1.2 because the 10.1.1.1 or 192.168.1.1 are the addresses of the modem).

4. Set the 1802 port in the MODEM to point to your ROUTER, not the PC – if your modem is using 10.1.1.x range, port 1802 need to point to the ROUTER address – 192.168.1.1, in this example.

5. Connect your PC to the Router, and assign a static IP to your network card; this IP need to be in the ROUTER range (for example, 192.168.1.2).

6. In your ROUTER, configure port 1802 to point to the IP assigned to your network card.

7. It should do it. I used a config like this one for almost ten years.

Alternatively, you can spend US$30,00 or so and buy a MODEM/ROUTER/W-ROUTER "all-in-one" equipment, which will give you the opportunity to run a much simpler configuration.

PS: The MODEM is where the cable from your ISP is connected, and from where your internet connection is comming.

sevrick
July 27th, 2016, 00:48
Ok I am at the place I think. just need some information like. What is the Inbound Port, Private IP address, and local port?

damned
July 27th, 2016, 00:48
Ok I have this is the routers I have:
Router 1: is a TP-Link Model: AC1750
Router 2: is a Arris Model: DG860
I found the page that corresponds to them but I am not sure how or if it is necessary to have static IP. I tried following the guide on the router 2 but it said the IP was invalid. The 1st router I didn't use a static IP.

The cable/modem/router cannot forward direct to the PC - it can only forward to something it can talk to on its own directly connected network - but it can talk to the wifi/router on that devices WAN port. And that device can then forward traffic to the PC.

[Internet]
|
|
58.46.124.12 (example public IP on cable modem)
[Cable Modem]
192.168.0.1 (example private/LAN IP on cable modem)
|
|
192.168.0.2 (example public IP on wifi/router)
[WifI Router]
192.168.1.1 (example private/LAN IP on wifi/router)
|
|
192.168.1.100 (example IP on PC)
[PC]

On Cable Modem create a Port forward TCP 1802 to 192.168.0.2
On Wifi/Router create a Port Forward TCP 1802 to 192.168.1.100
On PC create a firewall Port rule to Accept/Allow TCP 1802 from All networks

You can see that this would break if an IP changes on the WiFi/Router or PC so consider making the 192.168.0.2 and 192.168.1.100 (examples only) addresses static or better yet - create a Static DHCP reservation on the Cable/Modem for the Wifi/Router and on the Wifi/Router for the PC...

damned
July 27th, 2016, 00:49
Ok I am at the place I think. just need some information like. What is the Inbound Port, Private IP address, and local port?

Port is always 1802
Protocol is always TCP
The private Ip address you will need to work out using the diagram above - there are 2 of them and you set one on the Cable/Modem and one on the WiFi/Router.

sevrick
July 27th, 2016, 02:50
*edit*
Ok I made progress I think only thing is I use bitdefender and it has options that are different they are:

Program Path (Wants the location of an .exe I imagine)
Custom Local Address
->IP (I don't know what I put here.)
->Ports (I assume 1802)
Custom Remote
->Ports (I assume 1802)
Direction
->Inbound
->Outbound
Protocal
->which is TCP I know that

I ran a test in Fantasy grounds and it says failure. I know it's not my firewall since I disabled it to test it. The wierd thing was that the windows fire wall took over and I checkd allow at the prompt but still not working.

damned
July 27th, 2016, 03:19
*edit*
Ok I made progress I think only thing is I use bitdefender and it has options that are different they are:

Program Path (Wants the location of an .exe I imagine)
Custom Local Address
->Ports (I assume 1802)
Custom Remote
->Ports (I assume 1802)
Direction
->Inbound
->Outbound
Protocal
->which is TCP I know that

I ran a test in Fantasy grounds and it says failure. I know it's not my firewall since I disabled it to test it. The wierd thing was that the windows fire wall took over and I checkd allow at the prompt but still not working.

Sevrick - Ive sent you a couple of PMs...

Dont do it by Application - do it by port. Its always TCP 1802. You want to accept it from all sources - you dont know where your players will be coming from.
Its inbound - you are hosting the application.

Also - double checking - only the GM does this....

sevrick
July 27th, 2016, 03:31
This is what it says on my firewall
It won't let me not put something in the Program Path.
Also I only got the one PM from you telling me your answered me on the forum.
Yes I am the GM