PDA

View Full Version : Fantasy Grounds and Parallels and port forwarding

HoratioDrank
July 24th, 2016, 22:22
Hi all.

I'm curious if anyone is using Fantasy Grounds on a Mac via Parallels and has some tips for port forwarding.

My router requires that I specify the IP address of the computer for which port forwarding is set up. When I run Fantasy Grounds on my Windows PC, everything is smooth and easy with regards to port forwarding. When I set up the port forwarding from the IP address of my Mac, however, I'm not able to get a successful test from Fantasy Grounds. I'm assuming the issue is that I am running Fantasy Grounds on a VM via Parallels. My router doesn't recognize the VM as being a separate entity connected to it.

Thanks in advance for any advice.

CNYGamer99

damned
July 24th, 2016, 23:41
What IP Address does your parrallels install have? It will most likely have its own IP Address. What does FG think its IP address is?

HoratioDrank
July 25th, 2016, 00:06
The IP address that Fantasy Grounds identifies as my internal IP while running on the VM is the same as the IPv4 Address shown in an "ipconfig /all" run from the VM.

HoratioDrank
July 25th, 2016, 00:34
Okay, I have it figured out now. I had to set up the port forwarding on the Mac, and then set up a port forwarding rule in Parallels to forward 1802 from the Mac to the VM. All is well now.

CNYGamer99

damned
July 25th, 2016, 03:46
Okay, I have it figured out now. I had to set up the port forwarding on the Mac, and then set up a port forwarding rule in Parallels to forward 1802 from the Mac to the VM. All is well now.

CNYGamer99

Well done CNYGamer99

deifdark
August 3rd, 2017, 10:28
I had to set up the port forwarding on the Mac, and then set up a port forwarding rule in Parallels to forward 1802 from the Mac to the VM. All is well now.

Hello. How do you do that?
I think I have the same trouble. When I run FG on my Mac thorugh Steam it works fine, the connection is "Success" (I have the port 1802 opens in my router), but when I run FG on a Windows VM via Parallels, the connection is always "In progress". I also think this is the reason why "localhost" doesn´t work on this second instance for let me see the player form.

Thanks

Trenloe
August 3rd, 2017, 15:34
...but when I run FG on a Windows VM via Parallels, the connection is always "In progress". I also think this is the reason why "localhost" doesn´t work on this second instance for let me see the player form.
Running a VM in Parallels is essentially a separate computer - with a different IP address. If you have port forwarding setup on your Internet router, you'll need to change it to the IP address of the Windows VM.

If you want to use localhost connection when your GM instance is within Parallels you'll need to launch another instance of FG within the same Parallels session - as that will be running on the "same" computer (albeit virtual).

daggerfortysix
September 26th, 2017, 21:08
Oh jeez. Can somebody walk me through making my FG running in Paralles on my MacBook connect. Everything works perfectly on my MacBook using PureVPN with dedicated IP. Today I installed Paralles and finally got FG installed. Now the test fails. Ugh!

LordEntrails
September 26th, 2017, 21:49
Just guessing as I'm not a Mac person...
Your parallels computer probably has a different internal IP than your Wine computer does. So if you had to port forward, you need to update it to the new computer.

daggerfortysix
September 26th, 2017, 21:51
My port forwarding is done via Pure VPN. I didn't forward anything, it just worked. Hmmmm.

daggerfortysix
September 26th, 2017, 22:11
I am bailing on the Parallels and going back to the Mac instal of Fantasy Grounds. That worked best....

Myrdin Potter
September 26th, 2017, 22:43
You would need to research how Parallels networks out to the connection. The concern would be some sort of NAT being done that needs to have a port forwarded vs. the "raw" MacOS that just sees the pureVPN connection.

daggerfortysix
September 26th, 2017, 22:44
Way too complicated for me...

Bidmaron
September 26th, 2017, 23:50
There is a setting in parallels to share the internet connection with the mac side. That is what you need. You can do it with separate up for Windows side but it is a lot more sophisticated. I am away from computer and cannot tell you the setting

daggerfortysix
September 27th, 2017, 04:22
On a Mac using Sierra OS (NOT HIGH Sierra)

Does anyone know what screen options should be set in wineskin?
Rootless (windowed) or fullscreen;
normal windows or virtual desktop at current resolution;
Installer options of force normal windows or use these settings;
Override wine control of screen setting, either automatic or override;
and then other options of: use Mac driver instead of X11, decorate windows, autodetect GPU information for Direct3d, or use Direct3D Boost (if available)

Something has been going weird with the screen size on the Mac and I have trying different t options to see if this fixes anything. Now I can't remember how it was originally....