PDA

View Full Version : Remove effect

Monkn
July 24th, 2016, 21:53
So i am trying to learn the ins and outs or effects.

What I am stuck on now is how to remove the effects form either myself or the target. I have the 5e remove extension but unsure how it works. Also does the DM of the game I am playing in need the extension as well?

I know I need to copy the name of the spell word per word.

Any help would be great.

TY

Grayfigure
July 25th, 2016, 01:59
Maybe I can help here. I do believe the DM does need the extension, if youre connecting to his version of FG. As for how it works, when youre setting up your abilities on your abilities page, you can create the effect for the power, then use the same effect string you created, but with the prefix REMOVE: in front of it in a second effect for the ability. You'll know youve done it right when the button for the second effect shows up as the little red circle with a line through it, like the Ghostbusters symbol. Once you have that, click the first effect to see if it shows up on your character in the combat tracker, and if it does, click the second effect button. The entire effect should disappear from the character.

I hope this helps, or at least makes sense :).

Monkn
July 25th, 2016, 02:32
So what I am trying to do is make a Power for adding the +2 for a shield. Since there are times I have my shield on and times I dont. So instead of going into the AC tab I want a effect for it.

I can make the effect but I am at a lost on how to remove the effect.

Grayfigure
July 25th, 2016, 03:55
if the Effect looks like this:

Shield; AC: 2

Then the remove effect will look like this:

REMOVE: Shield; AC: 2

The spacing and capitalizations have to be exact. And everything in the REMOVE line needs to be set up as a second effect button on the same ability. That should give you what you need: an ability Shield that, when the first button is pressed, grants you a +2 buff to AC (which will show up on your character in the Combat Tracker, but not on the front page of your character sheet), and a second button on the same ability that will turn off the effect.

damned
July 25th, 2016, 03:56
Only GMs can load the extension.
If teh GM loads it u can remove it yourself.
otherwise ask the GM to remove it at the appropriate times.
They might get sick of doing this and load the extension instead :)

Nickademus
July 25th, 2016, 06:10
They might get sick of doing this and load the extension instead :)
+1
Why I've always felt that feature should be naturally part of all the rulesets.

Monkn
July 25th, 2016, 06:50
if the Effect looks like this:

Shield; AC: 2

Then the remove effect will look like this:

REMOVE: Shield; AC: 2

The spacing and capitalizations have to be exact. And everything in the REMOVE line needs to be set up as a second effect button on the same ability. That should give you what you need: an ability Shield that, when the first button is pressed, grants you a +2 buff to AC (which will show up on your character in the Combat Tracker, but not on the front page of your character sheet), and a second button on the same ability that will turn off the effect.

Ok so I did this as it is seen and did not work. It is just adding a 2nd effect to my character. This is really getting to me.

Also want to make sure I have done this part right. I have the extension in the right folder. Is there anything I need to do when I load up my test campaign to make sure it is working?

TMO
July 25th, 2016, 07:09
Also does the DM of the game I am playing in need the extension as well?

FYI, I've installed this extension so it will be available for our next session.

TMO

Monkn
July 25th, 2016, 07:14
Cool.....but I need the REMOVE effect to work. Hope the idea Im working on is something that makes sense.

TMO
July 25th, 2016, 07:19
Cool.....but I need the REMOVE effect to work. Hope the idea Im working on is something that makes sense.

Yep...I get that. But it would never work in our game if I don't have the extension. :) I assume you are doing internal testing on your end. Just let me know if you have any success. If not, I'll remove the extension as I would prefer not to load anything that we don't need.

TMO

Monkn
July 25th, 2016, 07:55
Yeah I am doing internal testing.

Nickademus
July 25th, 2016, 08:03
Make sure that when you load the campaign you are testing in, that you choose to include the extension. When you click the Load Campaign button in the launcher and select the name of the campaign, a list will appear in the bottom left section. Click the checkbox in front of the Remove Effect extension so the red dot appears in it. Then it should work when you start the campaign.

Monkn
July 25th, 2016, 08:09
Make sure that when you load the campaign you are testing in, that you choose to include the extension. When you click the Load Campaign button in the launcher and select the name of the campaign, a list will appear in the bottom left section. Click the checkbox in front of the Remove Effect extension so the red dot appears in it. Then it should work when you start the campaign.

you sir I wan to give you a giant wet dragonborn kiss. I had the extension in the wrong folder. It works great now. Ty TYTYTYTYTYTYTY so much

Nickademus
July 25th, 2016, 09:01
Enjoy.

Engelgott0972
September 12th, 2020, 16:34
I know this is an older thread, but it's the first result on google, so I'm sure it will help someone.
Go to the combat tracker. On the character, click the icon that looks like a winged boot; it is the last one before the link dot.
It will give the option to modify, copy the effect, change duration, delete an effect, or add an effect.

Engelgott0972
September 12th, 2020, 16:36
You can even click the first little box to the left of the coding to change it from 'on' to 'one use' or 'off' if you merely want to disable it.

Granamere
September 12th, 2020, 17:26
So there are 2 parts.
1 put the extension you want to use in the extension folder.
2 When you are loading the campaign scroll down your extensions and make sure you enable it.

Also if this is for a shield why are you not just going into inventory and switching it between equipped and not equipped? That should change you stat block.

Edit: I need to start reading the dates on post and checking for multiple pages. :p

selocon
September 12th, 2020, 18:47
If you apply an effect to yourself, click the effects icon (whatever it is) on the CT. You'll be able to remove effects YOU applied.

Nickademus
September 13th, 2020, 13:14
Go to the combat tracker. On the character, click the icon that looks like a winged boot; it is the last one before the link dot.
It will give the option to modify, copy the effect, change duration, delete an effect, or add an effect.

If you apply an effect to yourself, click the effects icon (whatever it is) on the CT. You'll be able to remove effects YOU applied.
This relates to the built-in effect functionality. The extension adds the ability to make an effect (with a button) on the character sheet's action tab. You can then click the button, or even hotbar the button and click, to remove an effect applied by anyone to the target. You can also drag and drop the button on a token to remove an effect.

Directions for setting up the remove effect on the character sheet are given in the thread about the extension (https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?40289-5E-Player-Effect-Removal-Extension) the OP referred to.

Jiminimonka
October 10th, 2020, 12:41
+1
Why I've always felt that feature should be naturally part of all the rulesets.

I agree - should be part of the default rule set (with an option for the DM to enable/disable in settings) - the REMOVE: effect command should also be included. So magic items (and non-magic items) can apply the effect to say REMOVE: disease.