PDA

View Full Version : LFG in one shot Mischief Makers

MatangaBoots
July 23rd, 2016, 14:59
The Hook
You are in the Town of Oallhelm on business, well the outskirts of the town really. People seem to be fleeing along with the town guards (the very few the town had). Vice Constable Murray starts shouting that he will pay 5 gp per Goblin head and wolf belt. He sounds desperate. It is late afternoon and you see smoke coming from the center of town you think. As the commotion is going on and the Vice Constable is pleading some goblins and a wolf come up towards you. ROLL INITIATIVE! And afterwards decide if you want to help this town against its Mischief Makers.

D&D 5E
I would like to run a “one shot”. It will take about 4-5 hours of game play. So I am thinking of making it 2 sessions. I would like to run it on 30th of July at 0900 JST (1800 MDT Friday). It will be an adventure that is to take you to lvl 3. This module is from the series Dungeons on Demand. It is made by the book. You can just download the “Demo version” of FG to play. For talking will be using Team speak.

What is allowed for character creation
Starting gear from class and background. Make characters at level 2 using point buy, PHB, EE, and SCAG. You have 200 gp extra to spend and 1 potion of healing on hand.

Extra stuff.
I am a new DM (have a couple of games under belt now).
Long and short Rest- There is something pushing you to not let you long rest until you take care of it. Proably can short rest once before you solve it.
Light- It is evening, so dim light.
RP/Fighting/Exploring ratio: 40%RP/50%F/10%Ex
Type of players- New, team oriented, Lots of NPC to talk to
How many players- 3 to 7. (Best is 4-5)
I really like it when players describe their attacks and other actions. I don’t feel the DM is the only one telling the story. So entertain me.

Fantasy Grounds Game calander.
https://www.fantasygrounds.com/calendar/index.xcp?id=2104

nickabbey
July 24th, 2016, 17:23
I'm new to 5e, but have 25+ years with tabletop and rpg's. Looking to get started with 5e, reading the PHB now and working on rolling up a characters.

MeganHunter
July 24th, 2016, 19:26
I would normally love to join you, but I'm afraid my 30th is all full with visiting family. I'm very glad to hear about another person starting to DM, though! Best of luck in your adventure. :)

Edit: Oh! I see that your 30th is my 29th! I will toss my name onto your calendar. :D

NYDnD
July 24th, 2016, 22:16
Hi, I'm an experienced 5e player. I have a weekly in-the-flesh game and a weekly FG game. I typically play monks, rogues or warlocks - but I'll gladly play any type of character that will even out the party. This sounds like fun. If you need more info, feel free to send me a message.

MatangaBoots
July 25th, 2016, 09:33
I will try and have the game up a lot so you can make/upload your characters when you want. Also if you have any questions please ask. I love new players. And will take the time to get them set up in FG. The game is up right now.

nickabbey
July 25th, 2016, 21:26
Logged in, I see a rogue which is my preferred class, so I'm going to roll up a wizard.

MeganHunter
July 25th, 2016, 21:28
Logged in, I see a rogue which is my preferred class, so I'm going to roll up a wizard.

Please feel free! My warlock is super melee focused. I put burning hands on him but he's not a ranged sort. I'll try logging in to upload the sheet soon.

Edit: I logged into the server but couldn't upload my sheet for some reason. Here it is along with a token. Please let me know if there is anything about it that you do not like. Can't wait to play!

nickabbey
July 26th, 2016, 00:50
Well... It took a while since I had to do a lot of reading and searching the web to learn the stuff I didn't know about character creation and game play that would affect my decisions - but he's up there. Gnome wizard (enchanter). The most useful spells in his book right now look to be sleep and an enchanter focus charm SLA. Looking forward to the game, thanks for putting that server up.

Fudly
July 26th, 2016, 07:55
I would like to play. I can make both sessions and am familiar with 5e and fantasy grounds. I'd be up for playing anything the party needs but am otherwise leaning towards a cleric or druid.

MatangaBoots
July 26th, 2016, 12:17
Hey nickabbey glad you got into the game to make a character. I am sorry I wasn't around to help you. Uhm i am just reading over your character (Kelcorin) and noticed you have a 20 INT score. Did you roll for stats? You can't point buy above 15 and after racial bonus would only give you 17. Again sorry I haven't been around much to help. You also have 5 more spells to choose. It looks like you maxed your HP. For first level this is correct to max HP. For every level after that you just take half your hit die plus one. So it should be 6+2(CON)1st level+4+2(con)2nd lvl. I know i have just been saying what is wrong. everything else looks good. you did good using FG to drag and drop in your gear features.
Also just read your earlier post about liking rouges. The characters that you could select are not being played in the game. If you want you could play a rouge you can.

MatangaBoots
July 26th, 2016, 12:29
MeganHunter I did upload your character sheet. But it had no token or portrait. I then saved that image to the portrait folder. So you have that pic. If you have another pic for the token I can put in my token folder. or just use that pic for both portrait and token.

MatangaBoots
July 26th, 2016, 12:51
So just to say what we have so far in the game. A melee warlock, A Wizard, A monk(that is not signed up in FG), someone that wants to play a druid or cleric, and lastly someone who wants to play a monk, rogue, or warlock.

MeganHunter
July 26th, 2016, 16:52
MeganHunter I did upload your character sheet. But it had no token or portrait. I then saved that image to the portrait folder. So you have that pic. If you have another pic for the token I can put in my token folder. or just use that pic for both portrait and token.

Sounds fine to me, my thanks! :) Here is a 120 pixel version of that image if it makes a better portrait. I was actually using that previous image as the token, but I can make either in any size you like, both for my character or the party (I do photoshop for a living). Thank you for all your work.

NYDnD
July 27th, 2016, 01:44
Sorry gang, I just found out I have a work issue Friday. Hopefully, I'll come across all of you again in the future. Good luck!

nickabbey
July 27th, 2016, 02:28
Hey nickabbey glad you got into the game to make a character. I am sorry I wasn't around to help you. Uhm i am just reading over your character (Kelcorin) and noticed you have a 20 INT score. Did you roll for stats? You can't point buy above 15 and after racial bonus would only give you 17. Again sorry I haven't been around much to help. You also have 5 more spells to choose. It looks like you maxed your HP. For first level this is correct to max HP. For every level after that you just take half your hit die plus one. So it should be 6+2(CON)1st level+4+2(con)2nd lvl. I know i have just been saying what is wrong. everything else looks good. you did good using FG to drag and drop in your gear features.
Also just read your earlier post about liking rouges. The characters that you could select are not being played in the game. If you want you could play a rouge you can.

Honestly, I don't remember if I rolled or did a point buy. I've been trying to get in to a few different games and have rolled probbaly 4 characters between PF and 5e over the last few days. But I suspect that you are right, and I probably did roll when I should have done a point buy. I'll make your corrections tonight for that character but I might roll the rogue up too just because I want to roll one up!

nickabbey
July 27th, 2016, 02:56
Honestly, I don't remember if I rolled or did a point buy. I've been trying to get in to a few different games and have rolled probbaly 4 characters between PF and 5e over the last few days. But I suspect that you are right, and I probably did roll when I should have done a point buy. I'll make your corrections tonight for that character but I might roll the rogue up too just because I want to roll one up!

OK - fixed the scores. I actually DID roll that HP - but I didn't realize we weren't rolling (or is that 5e thing I missed?) but I've updated the HP as you instructed. After spending points using this tool, my con mod was +3 so total HP is 16.
Lvl 1: 6 + 3 = 9
Lvl 2: d6/2 = 3 + 1 + 3 = 7

I also realized that I didn't give myself 200 GP or spend any of it. Doing that now, and adding those 5 spells. He will be good to go pretty soon.

nickabbey
July 27th, 2016, 03:30
OK - fixed the scores. I actually DID roll that HP - but I didn't realize we weren't rolling (or is that 5e thing I missed?) but I've updated the HP as you instructed. After spending points using this tool, my con mod was +3 so total HP is 16.
Lvl 1: 6 + 3 = 9
Lvl 2: d6/2 = 3 + 1 + 3 = 7

I also realized that I didn't give myself 200 GP or spend any of it. Doing that now, and adding those 5 spells. He will be good to go pretty soon.

Done. Checked the PHB, I was supposed to have 3 cantrips and 5 lvl 1 spells in my book, with only 3 slot available to be memorized per day/full rest. So I fixed that up and bought some gear. Looking forward to the game.

nickabbey
July 27th, 2016, 05:10
Rogue is done. I could probably re-create these in other games, but I don't have all the source books that you do - so would you mind exporting them both please and attaching their xml files to a PM. Whichever I don't use in this game, I may use in another.

thanks!

MatangaBoots
July 27th, 2016, 11:27
nickabbey I can send them to you after the game for sure. You will let you role for HP if you want, but I must say the are nice and give you the high average without rolling. So if you did max HP go ahead and use it.

MatangaBoots
July 27th, 2016, 11:28
Hey NYDnD sorry to hear that, but I will be running other one shots. So hope to see you in the future.

MatangaBoots
July 30th, 2016, 10:28
I have put up the times we discussed for meeting. Please vote yes to any that work. If we all say yes to one of them then we will meet then. If more than 1 time is good than we will meet at the earliest date. Feel free to suggest another time.
https://www.fantasygrounds.com/calendar/index.xcp?id=2104
The game calendar

MeganHunter
July 31st, 2016, 07:49
Thank you! Sunday the 7th specifically is my nephew's b-day party, so I'll have lots of running around to do setting it up. (That weekend is a bit messy in general due to family flying in for it, but it looks like our current Friday time is early morning for me, so I think I could manage that one before everyone starts arriving.) But I should be good with two of these 3 dates, and if any more pop up I should be good for those as well. Looks like Friday morning works for everyone so far.

nickabbey
July 31st, 2016, 23:43
Wednesday isn't great for me because I'm running a pathfinder game starting at 7pm. I'd hate to have to leave our game or delay the start of mine. Sunday I have family stuff, so Friday looks best for me

MeganHunter
August 5th, 2016, 07:03
See you all in the morning! (At least for me haha)

MatangaBoots
August 5th, 2016, 09:03
See you guys in 7 hours

nickabbey
August 5th, 2016, 18:43
Thanks for the fun intro to 5e. I liked the gameplay, but I def need more play time with the rogue (and wizard) to get a better feel for combat tactics.
If you're recruiting any other games I'd be glad to join more one shots or AP's.

MatangaBoots
August 5th, 2016, 18:48
Nickabbey i do plan on more games. Sorry if tonight wasn't as fun. I know something to due with my work was bugging me. Sorry if you guys felt it. I will invite you back for another go.