PDA

View Full Version : Using the Basic Rules/SRD on Fantasy Grounds

JoshR
July 22nd, 2016, 18:27
As our HotDQ campaign on Roll20 is winding up, we're going to be moving on to PotA -- and also considering making a transition to Fantasy Grounds.

I also plan on using only the Basic Rules, rather than the full PHB. I know that Fantasy Grounds includes the Basic Rules and the SRD with all licenses, but actually I'm not sure what that means. If I have just the Basic Rules, will I be able to drag-and-drop for character creation and leveling-up for the Core Fore races and classes? Or is it just rules reference material I have to enter by hand, and I'll need the Character Customization pack for equipment, weapons, etc? What about the Basic/SRD monsters?

Another question -- currently we are playing with me on my computer, my friend on his computer, and then my sister, brother-in-law, and niece all on one computer. Is it possible to play multiple characters from one demo account?

NotRussellCrowe
July 22nd, 2016, 18:45
Hello, JoshR, and welcome to Fantasy Grounds!

The drag and drop functionality is included in the 5e ruleset, not the SRD or PHB so you will be able to drag and drop regardless (as long as it is "coded" correctly). The SRD and basic rules don't give you the full PHB functionality but you can manually add in anything you're missing (this is where you have to "code" it correctly, the basic rules and SRD are already coded). Same goes for the DMG and MM. The MM comes I believe with about 200 monsters but does not include images or write ups about them. The DMG is mostly magic items, again no history or images, just the stats.

You can play multiple characters from one demo account assuming that the DM has the Ultimate license. However, if you have a few people sitting around one computer they would have to share the mouse/keyboard and screen (or plug in multiple ones) and you would not be able to share with one player secretly without the others playing (though you could send a text or email or something and they could check on their phone/tablet, but you couldn't do it from within Fantasy Grounds).

If you pick up a published WotC adventure like Princes of the Apocalypse then it should include all monsters and magic items necessary for all encounters. However, you may be missing some random tables from the DMG, though I don't know exactly what that would be for PotA, it could be there's nothing missing out. If anything is missing I wouldn't suspect it would be critical, if it's missing I think you could just wing it. Again, just my thoughts.

Good luck and happy gaming!

LordEntrails
July 22nd, 2016, 19:02
Welcome Josh!

I can speak on PotA, theirs nothing that my group has yet encountered that is missing from the PotA module. Everything you need for the game is there.

It's just if you wanted to add your own stuff (monsters, different random encounter tables, extra magic items) etc that you would even need to to pen the SRD modules (which are broken into 3 modules called; DD5E SRD Bestiary, DD5E SRD Magic Items, & DD5E SRD Data) or the full DMG (which is something to purchase).

Adding things from non-FG sources like items and monsters is really easy. You can bulk load it using a community tool called Par5e, but a couple items or entries here and there only takes a few minutes.

As for your your play situation, Not a problem. Those who are sharing a computer might want to put it up on a TV or something if they can (I do this), but then either they can pass the keyboard and mouse or just have one-person be the operator (this is what one of my groups does).

damned
July 23rd, 2016, 01:46
The SRD incudes some information on All the classes and all the races.
The Basic Rules contains All the information on some of the classes (4) and some of the races (4).
Both are fully drag and drop.
Both include all or most of the equipment in drag and drop.

Having your players play only stuff that is in these will let you play a full featured experience just with less player build options. New players wont even know they have less options to choose from.

PoTA will have everything you need except the Character info or pre-gens.

This changed a while back I think and I cant find the exact info - If you have a full/standard license as GM then you can have a single connection in demo mode. That is a single demo connection. If you add more licensed clients the demo gets kicked. So if you end up with a second player computer they will both need to be licensed or switch the GM license to Ultimate.

NotRussellCrowe
July 23rd, 2016, 02:08
Thanks for the clarification on the SRD, damned!

damned
July 23rd, 2016, 03:03
As NotRussellCrowe and LordEntrails mention as well they do include 200 monsters and 200 spells (give or take) so there really is plenty of stuff to get your game going.

JoshR
July 23rd, 2016, 15:44
Thanks for all the replies, folks! That answers all my questions.

Now it's just a question of getting another 2 GB of RAM for my computer!

damned
July 23rd, 2016, 16:08
It will run with 2GB but it is much happier with 4.
Download the demo and experiment.

sjard
July 30th, 2016, 13:36
The Basic Rules contains All the information on some of the classes (4) and some of the races (4).

I would say that this is not correct. The Basic Rules contains Some of the information on the 4 included classes, and some on the 4 included races.

For example, the Elf race only includes the High and Wood elf subraces, but not the Drow subrace. And for example Fighter only has the Champion Archtype.
All the classes included only include one of the Archtypes, Domains, or Arcane Traditions. It does include everything for that one choice per class.

damned
July 30th, 2016, 13:45
I would say that this is not correct. The Basic Rules contains Some of the information on the 4 included classes, and some on the 4 included races.

For example, the Elf race only includes the High and Wood elf subraces, but not the Drow subrace. And for example Fighter only has the Champion Archtype.
All the classes included only include one of the Archtypes, Domains, or Arcane Traditions. It does include everything for that one choice per class.

Thanks sjard. I got that wrong :( I have always thought it did contain all the options. It looks like Basic has more options for the core classes/races than the SRD but still not all.

sjard
July 30th, 2016, 13:51
Thanks sjard. I got that wrong :( I have always thought it did contain all the options. It looks like Basic has more options for the core classes/races than the SRD but still not all.

It's a nice selection though, especially if you're trying for an updated BECMI type game. With of course the races being races now instead of classes.

jrh18
April 27th, 2017, 19:04
Did I read this correctly and if you wanted to add new sub-races to an existing race that is provided as part of module either purchased (PHB) or free (SRD) that you have to recreate the entire race in your campaign?

I was reading some of the expanded races in FR from 3rd and 4th ed and looking to add those to the SRD, or buy the PHB for 5e if I could add them to that, but it sounds like either option I would need to recreate the races and add the new sub-races to this new race. If that is true I can understand why for DRM purposes, but it definitely sucks for customizability by the GM.

LordEntrails
April 27th, 2017, 19:16
Prior to v3.3.0 the answer was yes.

Wit the new abilities to create races/classes in the UI this may no longer be the case. Haven't tried yet, suspect one of the gurus will be along soon to answer definitively.

jrh18
April 27th, 2017, 19:23
I found the answer to my own question in another forum post (https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?22132-Problems-Creating-Monster-Module). You just have to drag the race from the race list to the race list, aka down a few pixels and release. Then a local version of the race (or monster or anything really) is created that you can onlock and edit. In that way, you can then make your own module from it.