PDA

View Full Version : Savage Worlds?

timdog88
July 22nd, 2016, 17:39
So, I have noticed that savage worlds seems to have the coolest looking adventure paths out there. Weird wars Rome seems like something that I would love to run, so I had a couple of questions.

1. What would I need to run this? Just the deluxe 4.0 ruleset and the adventure? Or is there something else?

2. Would it be easy to learn to run savage worlds on fantasy grounds? I've never run it before so I would need to learn.

Talyn
July 22nd, 2016, 18:57
They all need the Savage Worlds rule set. Then you have all the settings such as the Weird Wars Rome, Deadlands, 50 Fathoms, etc. same as on physical tabletop. Some of those settings come with an adventure or a full Plot Point Campaign, some don't. For instance, Deadlands is by far the most supported Savage Worlds setting both physical and on Fantasy Grounds.

So, if I wanted to run the scenario Blood Drive #1 I would need: Savage Worlds rule set, the Deadlands setting (if I'm not mistaken the full setting comes with both the Player and GM guides), then the actual scenario Blood Drive #1. Which is the same as it would be if I were playing face to face.

If you get the Savage Worlds rule set, look in your Fantasy Grounds folder and a new "docs" folder will be there with a couple PDFs that show some tricks with how the Savage Worlds rule set works in Fantasy Grounds, with pictures.

LordEntrails
July 22nd, 2016, 19:07
They all need the Savage Worlds rule set. ...
I thought only the GM needed to purchase the ruleset. Am I wrong?

Talyn
July 22nd, 2016, 19:16
I thought only the GM needed to purchase the ruleset. Am I wrong?

No, you are correct. What I meant was "all the settings and scenarios require the ruleset," since that was what he was asking about, not the players.

Mask_of_winter
July 23rd, 2016, 00:10
2. Since FG automates a lot of the SW mechanics, I think it can make it easier.

sjard
July 27th, 2016, 14:29
Now if only the setting/plot point books I own dead tree were on FG. I have heard rumors that one of them is being worked on though.

Settings in question: Mars, Broken Earth, and Pirates of the Spanish Main.

Planning on grabbing the Lankhmar and Flash Gordon stuff as they become available* (dead tree or otherwise).

*and as I can afford them.

JohnD
July 27th, 2016, 14:41
I've played in a War of the Dead game at a FGCon and had a ruleset walkthrough evening from Ellspeth and Hendell. My experience is appropriately limited but it seems like a very robust ruleset certainly in FG.

Talyn
July 27th, 2016, 16:13
Now if only the setting/plot point books I own dead tree were on FG. I have heard rumors that one of them is being worked on though.

Settings in question: Mars, Broken Earth, and Pirates of the Spanish Main.

Planning on grabbing the Lankhmar and Flash Gordon stuff as they become available* (dead tree or otherwise).

*and as I can afford them.

Pinnacle no longer supports Pirates of the Spanish Main so I doubt anyone bothers to put their time into a FG conversion. Though who knows...

I can say for certain that one of the items you mentioned up there is being worked on. ::cough::

Griogre
July 27th, 2016, 18:07
Pirates of the Spanish Main is in "License Hell" which makes it unlikely to ever be released, however you can easily run a PotSM campaign that requires minimal input using the Fifty Fathoms NPCs. I ran one that way and you can use about 80 percent of the NPCs/monsters, maybe more. Be aware the power levels are slightly different between the settings though.. Fifty Fathoms was released after Pinnacle lost the PotSM license. The PotSM ship rules are better but the rest is basically the same other than FF has magic and races other than human, which you can easily ignore.

Mask_of_winter
July 28th, 2016, 02:01
PotSM was submitted to Smiteworks last month. The other settings I know that have been submitted are Winter Eternal and Time Zero with Mythos soon to follow. And we're working on War of the Dead Chapter 2 atm.

Mortar
July 28th, 2016, 04:12
Weird Wars Rome is a lot of fun (but I just a little bit biased there)

It has two plot point campaigns with it. I am in the process of comverting the adventures/campaigns that Pinnacle has released.

There is an update coming to fix a couple errors that I made in the conversion. Also once once FG 3.2.0 goes live there will be a theme extension bundled with it.