PDA

View Full Version : Quick question on Spell DC calculation ?

Bilbotorm
July 22nd, 2016, 13:31
Hello everyone,

me again for a question, as my players recently hit level 3 on our online campaign, new spells were acquired so new questions. Essentially around the DC.
The cleric for example, as Hold Person he can throw at ennemies. They must succeed a DC 14, calculation is : 8 + Prof 2 + Wisdow 4 => DC14 for all the cleric spells
On the opposite, the wizards has all is spells at DC 10. Burning hands (against DEX, DC 10), Thunderwave (against CON, DC 10), etc. He should have 8 + Prof 2+ Int 2 => 12 no ?

Did we mess his char sheet on FG or is there something I did wrongly reading DD5th rule ?

I attached his character sheet just in case.

thanks in advance for the answers !
Bil

El Condoro
July 22nd, 2016, 13:52
If you change the spell group (magnifying glass on the group title) Save DC to 'Int', instead of Base it will give DC 12.

Bilbotorm
July 22nd, 2016, 14:05
Hello El Condoro

thanks for your answer, indeed it seems changing the save + base into save + int is making the trick. I changed it there, let me know if i got it right (cf attachment)

but two question then
- do you have to do this everywhere ? on attack, on save dc, on each spell group ?
- any reason why it's happening only on the wizard ? cleric and bard has both save dc line with + base, and it's working like a charm...?

sorry for those additional questions, i'd like to make sure i understood everything properly

thanks !
Bil

Bilbotorm
July 22nd, 2016, 14:11
(PS : I am under the feeling I need to put Int to attack as well, as right now base gives me ranged + 2 for firebolt for example; and when I put attack with Int, firebolt moves to ranged + 4. (+2 int, +2 Prof)

unless I am interpreting DD5th rules incorrectly :-/ (possible as well)

El Condoro
July 22nd, 2016, 14:33
From what I see, everything is correct. I also thought the use of 'Base' would pick up the spellcasting ability of the class (Int for Wiz, Wis for Cleric etc.) but I may have that wrong.

Bilbotorm
July 22nd, 2016, 14:36
From what I see, everything is correct. I also thought the use of 'Base' would pick up the spellcasting ability of the class (Int for Wiz, Wis for Cleric etc.) but I may have that wrong.

Well, as far as I can see from the other char of the party, the bard & the cleric are using "Base" and it's using the right ability for spellcasting.

Only this char is having issues with the "base" and I can't figure out why

If someone has any idea, would be very welcome. And if not, if someone can at least confirm i need to put Int on attack & spell dc on the spell group (somewhere else as well?) it would be very welcome, as I am not 100% strong of my rule interpretation, it may not be a FG issue but just me messing 5th rules...?

thanks !

El Condoro
July 22nd, 2016, 14:48
If the Ability is set to Int in the Spells Power Group then Base works correctly. Your calculations are correct: Spell attack: prof + int mod; Save DC: 8 + prof + Int mod.

Bilbotorm
July 22nd, 2016, 14:51
If the Ability is set to Int in the Spells Power Group then Base works correctly. Your calculations are correct: Spell attack: prof + int mod; Save DC: 8 + prof + Int mod.

Thanks a lot; so now, I am just curious to see if I can fix why "base" isn't working as intended...?

Aldente
July 22nd, 2016, 19:23
If you use the drag-and-drop approach to building your characters, the spell casting ability is supposed to be set appropriately based on your class (e.g., when you dragged "wizard" to the character sheet). If you build the character manually (i.e., just typed in the information), you need to set the spell casting ability manually as well. It's an easy fix as you've discovered. I hope that helps.

Bilbotorm
July 22nd, 2016, 22:39
Hi,

thing is, the character was made using drag & drop. Is there any way to edit the xml to fix this in a way or another ? to set the base as Int ?

thanks !

Moon Wizard
July 22nd, 2016, 22:45
The base ability is set in the Group Detail window when you click on the magnifying glass next to a Spells header. The save and attack Base values just use whatever value is set for the Group Ability above.

Regards,
JPG

Aldente
July 22nd, 2016, 22:46
Hi,

thing is, the character was made using drag & drop. Is there any way to edit the xml to fix this in a way or another ? to set the base as Int ?

thanks !

Yep. Just tap on the magnifying glass symbol on one of the spell headers (e.g., "Spells (Cantrips)"). Change the "Ability" to "Int" right above the Attack and Save DC lines.

DOH! Moon Wizard rolled an impressive Sleight of Hand on me. :-(

damned
July 23rd, 2016, 01:53
If you think your build is damaged - it doesnt take long to create a copy using the drag and drop... give it a go and see if it works properly then.

Bilbotorm
July 23rd, 2016, 14:36
Hello thanks everyone, indeed by just changing Ability to Int, the Base is know working perfectly

thanks a thousands time !