PDA

View Full Version : Con Saves vs Attack (Save auto calc?)

ChazC
July 22nd, 2016, 09:43
Hope this is the right place to ask...

I've just picked up an Ultimate Licence and I'm having a look at the included example campaign.

Just a quick question regarding the combat tracker & saves vs an attack. If, for example we have a PC defending against a Giant Spider (Bite attack that only does half damage on a successful CON save at DC11), the actions in the combat tracker for the spider has all that info under the offence tab which you can just click on to roll the attack & damage (& save).

My question is in regarding the save - my problem is that it seems to be it's the GM who has to make the saving throw on behalf of the character to get the half damage (or not!) automatically calculated & applied. I just wondered if I'm missing something that'd let the player be able to make the save rather than having the DM roll it for them?

One workaround I tried was having the PC make the CON save from their sheet & if it was successful right-click on the dice roll in the chat window to apply the 1/2 value modifier option but that doesn't update the already applied damage on the character sheet. Am I missing something or is that just a limitation of the system? If so, that's OK & I'll just have the PC roll the default save from their sheet & I'll apply the damage etc. manually to the NPC.

Cheers!

damned
July 22nd, 2016, 10:20
Hey ChazC are you using targetting?

ChazC
July 22nd, 2016, 11:14
Yeah, I made sure the targets were assigned in the combat tracker. If you click on the save in the Giant Spider tracker offence tab box it applies the effects correctly but if you click the Con save from the character sheet (after the attack or damage) it just rolls a non-connected Con save. Clicking from the Spider sheet it lists all the mods & effects of the save.

damned
July 22nd, 2016, 12:34
Hi ChazC it goes something like this -

You target the PC from the Spider. You double click the ATK+5 and it rolls the attack. If it misses then the attack ends. If it hits you then double click damage. Then you double click the Save. If PC passes then you move to next actor or next attack. If PC fails you then click DMG and then Paralyzed.

So you are asking where/how the player gets to roll her own Saves?

ChazC
July 22nd, 2016, 13:13
Yeah exactly. The mechanics of the save are all on the spider sheet so the DM has to roll it in order for the half damage to calculate on a successful save vs DC11. I'd like the player to be able to roll their own save. Just wondered if I was doing something wrong or if that's just the way it is.

damned
July 22nd, 2016, 13:33
You can have the player roll and you would do as you are doing, skip the save roll (the player has done it) and use the half button and damage...
Someone else may provide a better answer (hopefully...).

Trenloe
July 22nd, 2016, 15:21
PC aren't directly linked to attacks - which aren't all one fluid process when you have to get the PCs to roll the dice, all sorts of other things could be going on while the GM waits for the PC to roll the right save. Therefore, there is not a direct link to half-on-save damage from the PC to the NPC when the NPC is making the attack.

One way to do it would be (using the example of the Giant Spider):

The NPC targets the PC and rolls the attack as normal.
If the attack hits, roll the piercing damage as normal.
Ask the player to make a CON save, DC 11.
If the CON save fails, roll the 2d8 poison damage as normal. If it passes, open the Modifier window (the +/- button in the top right of the desktop) and click the "Half" damage button - then roll the poison damage, it will be halved before being applied to the PC.

This keeps the players rolling their save and still has most automation, just requiring the GM to press the half damage button before rolling damage if the PC saved.

See the screenshot below:

ChazC
July 22nd, 2016, 22:19
That's great guys, thanks - I just wanted to be sure I wasn't missing anything. I also wasn't aware that the 1/2 modifier could be added like that, I only found it on the right click radial to affect after the throw so doing it the 'proper' way makes my problem a lot easier than I thought.

Cheers!