PDA

View Full Version : Hiding Token Names ( "Identification" for monsters ) ?

Manta78
July 20th, 2016, 20:57
Greetings All,

I hope this is not a duplicate- I did a search using the forum tools but did not find anything specifically relating to this.

Is there a way to hide the name of the creature/ NPC until identified ? (Not hide the token mind you, but the creature name ) I have experimented and the units can be renamed in the tracker prior to "un-hiding" them, but this is a bit quirky and time consuming if there are many enemies.

It would be nice to be able to have a generic name like "Medium-sized Lizard " but an identified name of " Ambush Drake", and to be able to click off a check box to reveal it once a character has completed a successful nature or other applicable check.

Does this NPC/ monster "identification" functionality exist or is this a "wow that would be nice to have " ? :)

Thanks in advance,

Manta

Moon Wizard
July 20th, 2016, 21:29
There's no feature like that, but I believe it's on the wish list in my sig if you want to vote it up.

The token will inherit whatever is the name of the creature is in the combat tracker. Any feature like this would also need to affect the combat tracker and NPC sheets too.

Also, when you set up an encounter record for pre planned encounters, you can specify an alternate name for creatures in the encounter, if you want to update the names in advance without changing the NPC record.

Regards,
JPG

Nickademus
July 20th, 2016, 21:43
From what I've seen, this is irrelevant since the player can just open the token box and look at the name of the original token. For some reason, when the graphic is loaded to their machine for use on an image or the CT, it puts the token in their box.

This is why I just name my images, NPC entries, and tokens something other than what creature they are.

JohnD
July 20th, 2016, 21:53
There's no feature like that, but I believe it's on the wish list in my sig if you want to vote it up.

The token will inherit whatever is the name of the creature is in the combat tracker. Any feature like this would also need to affect the combat tracker and NPC sheets too.

Also, when you set up an encounter record for pre planned encounters, you can specify an alternate name for creatures in the encounter, if you want to update the names in advance without changing the NPC record.

Regards,
JPG

Well, I remember Rolemaster Classic having an Unidentified field on each NPC record.

Talyn
July 20th, 2016, 23:56
I'm not totally sure what advantage having the names displayed would be, unless from a distance the party is fighting something they're no familiar with?

As a "cheat" or workaround, you can just drag the actual token onto the map and far as I can tell, the name is not displayed anywhere. It's non-interactive so it just sits there visible on the map. Then, when combat starts you can right click the map, choose delete tokens and then load the actual encounter onto the map. Not sure how unwieldy that would be and obviously this is assuming the party would know what they're fighting by the time they're swinging swords and slinging spells because once the encounter is loaded the names will show up again.

Nickademus
July 21st, 2016, 00:06
... this is assuming the party would know what they're fighting by the time they're swinging swords and slinging spells...

This assumption is usually not the case, depending on what rules system you are using. Some have an in-game way to determine character knowledge about creatures. Thus, it is possible to go the entire encounter without the characters, and thus the players unless they metagame, knowing what the monster is.

Manta78
July 21st, 2016, 00:13
Thanks for all the responses. I will drop in and give it a bump on the list. And thanks for the encounter name change Moon. That sounds like a winner.

Indeed, it is to suspend disbelief/ avoid the meta-game a little bit. Will savvy players figure out the monster? - yes, probably, but would be nice for those players that actually didn't know what it was..

Thanks for the tip Nickademus. Good to know and good idea on the file name.

Thanks all !

LordEntrails
July 21st, 2016, 00:23
I remember someone working on an extension awhile ago that would put some type of random descriptor on NPC's. Such might be adapted to put other types of names on things too. Not sure where that thread is though and it was some months ago.

damned
July 21st, 2016, 06:51
This doesnt do exactly what you are talking about but is a good fun extension none the less.
https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?31699-Alternative-to-NPC-numbering-in-combat-tracker&p=272053&viewfull=1#post272053

Fudly
July 28th, 2016, 02:32
This bit me hard during my first session on Fantasy Grounds. I was using "Illusory Orcs," and I didn't realize it was going to tell my players.

damned
July 28th, 2016, 03:06
This bit me hard during my first session on Fantasy Grounds. I was using "Illusory Orcs," and I didn't realize it was going to tell my players.

I did the same with a Ghost Naga on an early session :)

JohnD
July 28th, 2016, 04:46
As mentioned, Rolemaster has this in the NPC record. Maybe as that s a starting point.