PDA

View Full Version : Encounter Placement Problem

Nickademus
July 19th, 2016, 14:13
Is anyone else bothered by this? I make an encounter, place the tokens of each creature on the map, then close the encounter. The tokens disappear, good. But when I open the encounter back up to look at the placement again, they are still gone; they never reappear. There is no way to find out where they are place, ever. I have to click the check to unplace them and replace them in the new position (or is it the old? I can't tell).

It would be nice if when an encounter is opened, the tokens are placed back on the map (invisible to players) so that the GM can see where they are going.

damned
July 19th, 2016, 14:30
Im missig something here....?
Dont they all reappear back in place when you add it to the CT?

Trenloe
July 19th, 2016, 15:20
There is no way to find out where they are place, ever.
Yeah, add the encounter to the CT and the tokens will appear on the map in their assigned places.

It would be nice if when an encounter is opened, the tokens are placed back on the map (invisible to players) so that the GM can see where they are going.
Personally, I wouldn't want tokens to suddenly appear on the map (invisible or otherwise) when I just open an encounter with placement. Perhaps a button/right-click option to reshow the encounter token placement?

LordEntrails
July 19th, 2016, 16:35
On this, if you move the tokens after re-showing them by placing them on the CT, when you export to a module, do they get the new or original placement?

Personally, I wouldn't want tokens to suddenly appear on the map (invisible or otherwise) when I just open an encounter with placement. Perhaps a button/right-click option to reshow the encounter token placement?

On this, I wish their was a GM or creation mode for campaigns. These types of behaviors could then be different based upon if the campaign was in development mode or play mode. Something to think about.

Trenloe
July 19th, 2016, 16:57
On this, if you move the tokens after re-showing them by placing them on the CT, when you export to a module, do they get the new or original placement?
The only way to change the placement of a token within an encounter record is to remove it within the encounter record (click on the tick/check for the token in question) and then re add the token.

On this, I wish their was a GM or creation mode for campaigns. These types of behaviors could then be different based upon if the campaign was in development mode or play mode. Something to think about.
Can you expand on this? I'm not sure how much value this would be - or what the difference would be. GM's need full "creation" abilities when running a game, so they can add things on the fly. You don't want to limit GMing/creation functionality with two different modes.

Nickademus
July 19th, 2016, 17:11
On this, I wish their was a GM or creation mode for campaigns. These types of behaviors could then be different based upon if the campaign was in development mode or play mode. Something to think about. This!

Can you expand on this? I'm not sure how much value this would be - or what the difference would be. GM's need full "creation" abilities when running a game, so they can add things on the fly. You don't want to limit GMing/creation functionality with two different modes.

The mode would be mostly UI changes and behavior for interacting with things. All the abilities would be in both. Also, perhaps blocking player connection to the server without having to change the password between game and prep, prep and game sessions.

Nickademus
July 19th, 2016, 17:12
Im missig something here....?
Dont they all reappear back in place when you add it to the CT?

They do. But I generally don't want to add more things to the combat tracker between sessions as I already have PC and creatures in the CT. I would have to manually pick them all out to remove them. I just want to see where the tokens would be placed. (Not to mention the lag of adding things to the CT is annoying itself.)

Trenloe
July 19th, 2016, 17:19
The mode would be mostly UI changes and behavior for interacting with things. All the abilities would be in both. Also, perhaps blocking player connection to the server without having to change the password between game and prep, prep and game sessions.
So, same abilities but different UI and behavior? Sounds like opening a can-of-worms - confusion reigning as things are done differently in two different modes, and additional development/support time to produce. Surely it would be better to identify areas of the current Application that could be modified than to introduce a new "development" mode for FG? e.g. for the specific topic mentioned in this thread, I suggested above: "Maybe a button/right-click option to reshow the encounter token placement?" - no new development mode, just an addition to the current interface.

Nickademus
July 19th, 2016, 18:59
I completely agree. But the luxurious side of me would love a DM mode even if it is impractical. Aside from the player lock, I could deal with little to no changes.

On topic, the button is what I would be wanting. Just something to show me where I put the monsters without having to mess with the combat tracker.

Trenloe
July 19th, 2016, 19:10
On topic, the button is what I would be wanting.
You know where this needs logging! :)

LordEntrails
July 19th, 2016, 19:49
I'm not sure what the difference between a Play and Creation mode would be. It's not something I've thought about until the idea came to me when reading and replying to this thread.

Given that such a discussion is off-topic and might not be a short discussion, I've started another thread: https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?33264-Creation-Mode