PDA

View Full Version : Player can't re-install FG

Callum
July 19th, 2016, 08:50
One of my regular players recently started getting lots of error messages whenever he ran FG, like this:

He tried clearing his cache, with no effect. He then tried JPG's suggestion from another thread:

Launch FG and click on Settings. Change the Data Directory to a folder other than "C:\ProgramData\Fantasy Grounds", where your currently logged in user has full read/write permissions. (Such as "C:\Users\<UserName>\AppData\Roaming\Fantasy Grounds") Then re-run a Check for Update.

This had no effect on the errors, either. So he then decided to uninstall and re-install FG. He uninstalled it from the link in the FG section of the Windows Start Menu, and downloaded the web installer from the FG website. Now, every time he tries to run the installer, he gets a FileHandler error message, saying it can't save modules/3.5E-magicitems.mod. I got him to try running the installer as Administrator, and also to change the permissions on the C:\ProgramData\Fantasy Grounds folder to grant write access to all users, but he still gets the same error message.

This means he can't currently play at all. He's using a pretty standard laptop, running Windows 10 (which he's been using to play successfully for a while before these errors). Can anyone suggest how we might get him back up and running?

damned
July 19th, 2016, 09:33
Yeah - dont run as Admin. Install to the default location and set the permissions correctly....
Send me a PM if (or have him send me one) if you cant work it out...

Trenloe
July 19th, 2016, 15:24
Probably due to an issue with the data being stored in the ProgramData directory. Change to the appdata\roaming location through the FG settings window and re-run an update.

ddavison
July 19th, 2016, 15:36
If there were already files at that location, have him manually delete those and then try the update again with the appropriate permissions set.

Callum
July 19th, 2016, 17:58
Thanks for the advice. He can't change the FG settings, as he's uninstalled it, and it won't get past the first step of re-installing.

Trenloe
July 19th, 2016, 18:09
and it won't get past the first step of re-installing.
He may need to remove the Fantasy Grounds section from the Windows Registry before doing a re-install. For me it is here: HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Fantasy Grounds, I've also seen it at HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Fantasy Grounds

Callum
July 24th, 2016, 10:30
Thanks for your help, everyone. I happened to be in the area, so I visited him and managed to get the re-install working. It seemed to run fine afterwards - the final test will be when we play on Monday.